BY DELIRIUM

• Who has read this book?2 Answers
  • Do you recommend reading the short stories (Hanna/Alex/Ra...2 Answers
  • I love Lauren Oliver but I've never heard of this book, i...1 Answers
Delirium
  • "The series went down throughout the three books but combined with Lauren Oliver's fantastic writing and the attachment to the characters I had, this was one of my favorite YA series in the genre." in 46 reviews
  • "I had limited experience with dystopia, only having read Matched, The Hunger Games, and Uglies, but Delirium made it one of favourite genres." in 39 reviews
  • "Nothing significant was happening, it was summer and the main character was having the time of her life with some boy she liked...classic contemporary." in 23 reviews
  • "I really enjoyed this series, but I was reading Divergent, Crossed, and this series at the same time so it got really confusing." in 21 reviews
  • "I enjoyed reading the series, but compared to the other similar dystopian novels out there, this one did not stick with me as much." in 19 reviews
Melissa B.
Lake in the Hills
Bookworm Expert Level 1
I really enjoyed the first book, Delirium, in this series.  This was one of my favorites in the dystopia styles.  I don't have the same opinion on the second and third book of the series.  The characters were strong and the story line was very interesting.  I just wish that the other books could have maintained the same gusto that this first one had.
Allie H.
Maryland Hts, MO
Bookworm Expert Level 2
This book is a solid YA novel, similar to books such as The Hunger Games and Divergent. However, because it is in this highly-competitive genre, it paled a bit in comparison. I would recommend this book to die-hard YA fans, but it’s not in my favorites list.
Rachel H.
Pembroke Pines, FL
I'm going to start off this review by stating that I absolutely love dystopian society books and have since I first read 1984 when I was in middle school. I know that since the Hunger Games became a "thing" the dystopian genre has blown up (especially in the YA section) and it's difficult to know which books are worth a read. Some of my favorite dystopian series include this one, Uglies by Scott Westerfeld,Divergent by Veronica Roth (my current favorite new series), Matched by Allie Condie,and of course The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, so if you like one (or more ) of my favorites this book may be for you.

This series is about a girl names Lena who lives in a world where love is a disease called Delirium Nervousa. When kids turn 18 they undergo a surgery which "cures" them so they can't catch the disease. Lena is the last girl you would think would fall in love or deviate from the path the government has laid out for her but of course since this is a dystopian book she does just that. The rest of the book shows her falling in love and questioning the government for the first time in her life. Lena has to chose whether to get cured or run away outside of the city boundaries and be an "uncured".

While a lot of the book is predictable for anyone who reads books in this genre, the relationships are well written and make you feel something. Also, not to foreshadow too much once you get to the final book in the Trilogy it is written in a way that muddles the line between black/white , good/evil, and right/wrong.

It's also worth a mention that Fox is developing this series into a TV show featuring Emma Roberts as Lena. If the series gets picked up it is going to start by telling the story of the first 2 books almost simultaneously (not necessarily in the correct order).
Kayla W.
Glassboro, NJ
This book took my heart, pulled it out, and ripped it to shreds. And I loved every minute of it. I don’t know why, but dystopians of this kind-where something as humanly significant as love is eradicated and basically every freedom is stripped away-are creepier than ones filled with invasions or epidemics or the like. Because this is the sort of thing we do to ourselves, not something we have no control over, or fight together as one. The people in Delirium allow this to happen to them, and don’t seem to see anything wrong with it.

Besides being majorly freaked out by the premise of the book, I was immediately intrigued. Of course it was predictable in the way most books are. Just reading the summary made it easy for me to see how some things were going to go. But it didn’t tell me every twist and turn, how the book would keep me hooked and reading late into the night. I became fully immersed in Lena’s world (and, by the way, I love her name) and learned gradually every terrible detail of it. And when she did the most horrible thing, ‘getting the disease’, I was right there with her.

Picturing every moment perfectly was not a problem. Everything was described in great detail, including the settling, the characters, and the society. I became terrified of the regulators, detested Carol, and adored Gracie. I could relate to Hana and Lena’s friendship problems, as well as their hopes and fears for the future.

There were so many unexpected moment in Delirium, they quickly made up for the parts I’d already filled in myself. And the ending . . . That has to be one of the best endings I’ve read in a while. I had to read it over several times, just to let it really sink it. Definitely the greatest part of a fantastic novel.
Andrea S.
Roslindale, MA
To say I loved this book would be a huge understatement. As many can attest I have suggested and pushed this book on any and everyone I encounter. I’ve suggested it to friends, acquaintances and co-workers, some fans of YA literature and dystopian stories and some not. I have legitimately pushed this book on everyone I know. Why you may ask? Because it is that freaking good! And you know what gets me the most now that I have read it twice? I almost didn’t know it was so good because I almost didn’t read it.

Before this book I was one of those people that wouldn’t read anything that was out of the realm of reality. If it isn’t something that sound plausible in real life then it was not going to end up on my to- read shelf. I had successfully dodged the whole vampire phenomenon and managed not to ever pick up a book about magic. Not my scene, not my thing. But after much pushing from a friend I caved and gave it a shot. Did I think outlawing love was possible? Not so much, but I figured what the heck, I’ll go for it. And let me tell you, Lauren Oliver made a believer out of me.

At first glance you read the description and think okay, straight up dystopian story. Different world, different laws, different time. The United States is completely different. There are borders surrounding it with fences, there is less electricity, not as many cars on the road, less spending. It is a completely made up world at first glance and I guess partly you would be right to think that. But there is so much more to it then just another dystopian once you get to the core of the story. There is heart and angst and a journey of self discovery hidden in this “make believe” world. It isn’t just a story or an alternate reality, it is really a story about a girl that is faced with a truth she never wanted to see and the choices she makes because of it even if it is the opposite of everything she has grown being taught.

Delirium is a story about Lena, an orphaned girl, living with her aunt in Portland, ME. She is 17 and counting down the days until her 18th birthday so she can get the procedure done that will cure her of the disease, deliria nervosa, we are all born with. It will cure her of love. In her short 17 years all she has seen is the destruction love can bring and she wants to forget. She wants to be cured so she can get a free slate and not have to remember what life was like when she felt loved by her mother. She doesn’t want to have to worry that the disease will get her too. But what both Lena and the government don’t realize is love isn’t something you need to be cured from, it is something that makes you strong, something that heals instead of heeds you. Well at least Lena didn’t realize it until she met Alex.

Alex. What does one say about Alex?! A seemingly normal boy, no different really then a boy in any other book and yet there is something special about him. He is by far one of the best characters I have ever read about. He sees things that others don’t see, been through things that he shouldn’t have dealt with at his age and yet he believes in love and the power it has. He believes in Lena and by doing so changes everything Lena thought she wanted, thought she believed in. He shows her a new world with touching and feeling and laughing and happiness, but he does it in a way that allows her to slowly accept it. He doesn’t push or force her to disbelieve everything she was taught and thought was fact. He shows her the world as he sees and, the world he lives in and by doing that he changes Lena as a person and together they become what the meaning of love is truly about.

Honestly there really aren’t enough words in the English language to aptly explain the beauty of this book. It encompasses so much more then your typical love story. Oliver truly has written an epic story of beauty and wonder and awe and love. It changed me in the best of ways and I will push for people to read this book for as long as I can because it is that amazing. Please don’t be like I was in the beginning and almost miss out on a true work of art.
Sarah S.
Alexandria, VA
Delirium by Lauren Oliver was pure insanity. Please forgive me for this gush-fest, but oh my goodness Delirium swept me off my feet.

I am not going to talk about the characters in great detail, because while they were amazing, they are not what kept me flipping pages like a crazy person. Lena is a teenage girl who has always played by the rules. She has always lived in fear of standing out – all she has ever wanted is to be normal. She is terrified of falling in love and wants nothing more than to be “cured”.

Lena expresses her feeling on the subject within the first few pages of the book and this is what initially sucked me in. The idea of a teenage girl being desperately afraid of falling in love was so intriguing to me. I can never remember a time that I did not want to fall in love. It’s something all girls dream about – everyone wants to love and be loved.

The loveless world that Oliver creates is both fascinating and terrifying at the same time. Those who are cured never show any genuine affection and everyone acts like a Stepford wife. The adults do not even have hobbies they love – Lena is warned that she may not feel the urge to run anymore, something that she has always found comfort it. It is really a chilling concept and you cannot help but feel desperate for Lena to somehow escape.

Like I said before, Lena has always feared deliria, but somehow it sneaks up on her. When Lena meets Alex, she initially avoids him at all costs. She has never been a loud to interact with boys; everyone is segregated until they are “cured”. Eventually she gives in and is opened up to a whole other world. She begins to see what the world has to offer and she is left questioning her entire existence.

While the plot and the characters were all beautifully written, what really makes this book standout is the emotional reaction it evokes. I was literally on an emotional roller-coaster as I followed Lena’s progression throughout the story. I particularly enjoyed watching her reactions as she was introduced to real music – the kind that settles deep inside your bones. You have no choice but to feel emotionally invested in the outcome. Lena goes through a number of highs and lows and I was right there with her the entire time. I felt the joyful excitement of first love and the bitter hollowness of disappointment, grief and loss. I swear to you, I am pretty sure I had a few minor heart attacks while reading this one.

Honestly, there is nothing I can say that is going to do this book justice. You simply have to see, read and feel it for yourself. I can tell you this; I am already aching for the next book in the series. I nearly cried when I realized I had finished the last page and now had to wait to see what happens next.
Michelle S.
Honolulu, HI
Delirium is set in a futuristic United States where love is seen as a disease. When its citizens turn 18 years old, they undergo a surgery that eradicates love so that they will live a life free of its pains, troubles and stresses. Lena's mother succumbed to the disease amor deliria nervosa (aka love) when she was very young and eventually committed suicide leaving behind Lena and her sister Rachel. Lena didn't want to end up like her mom and had been counting the days until she will get her operation and be cured from the disease just like her sister. Then, about three months before her operation she meets and is inevitably drawn to Alex who is unlike anyone she had ever met. Soon good girl Lena is breaking the rules and questioning everything she had ever believed in.

I am not going to go into what the book is about any deeper because it'll be a bit spoiler-y (but if you want to know more see Goodreads for other reviews) and I kind of suck at reiterating the plot but I very much enjoyed Delirium. I really liked Lena, our first person narrator, who really grew and pretty much did a one eighty by end of the book. She started meek, obedient and doing everything to please her aunt. It was great watching her come to her own, become more confident and stronger. As for Alex, I felt for and fell in love with him along with Lena. He's a wonderful hero--nice, steady, strong and perfect for her. Sigh. You root for these two to find a way to be together and have their happily ever after. Besides Lena and Alex, another character I liked was Lena's best friend Hana. I loved their friendship; Hana was the kind of best friend you want for your heroine. She was there for Lena and when Alex came in the picture, she was there for him too and wasn't putting doubts or causing more problems for them. I'm usually annoyed with the "best friend" character in young adult novels but Hana wasn't annoying. One of my favorite scenes was actually one with Lena and Hana when Lena was trying to tell her goodbye almost near the end of the book. It almost made me cry.

Delirium was my first book by Lauren Oliver and I'm very impressed (I am definitely picking up her other title Before I Fall very soon). I admit there were some slow parts in the first half of the book and I wasn't completely sold on the whole no more love thing (I just went with it and enjoyed it all the more when I did) but ultimately it's a fantastic, thought-provoking, emotional read. I thought the writing was really good, very lyrical. It took me a while to finish it because I was (and still am) suffering from an untimely reading slump but when I did--well, it's one of those books that after turning that last page you just have to lay still for a bit and absorb and reflect on what you just read. This book definitely makes you think, it puts you in Lena's shoes and feel her fears, doubts, confusion and the wonder and euphoria she felt as she fell in love. This book was filled with wonderful descriptions with many quotable passages. The next book in the series cannot come soon enough. There were many unanswered questions and while the ending wasn't one of those "I feel cheated" type of cliffhangers, it is a cliffhanger and a bittersweet one at that.

**Originally posted on my blog, Michelle & Leslie's Book Picks, in 2011.
Jacqueline N.
N Salt Lake, UT

I love the cover of Delirium. When I would see this cover around the internet, I never noticed the hidden face. I always just thought it was silver letters. And then when I got my copy, (thanks to Becky at Stories and Sweeties), and I noticed how cool the face was. I usually read my hardcover books with the sleeve off so I don't ruin it if I'm reading in public, and this was interesting because it has a face on the inside too.

Anyway, when I first read the description I thought that there was no way that this idea could be pulled off. I thought of how I would write it if I came up with the idea and decided that I didn't even want to try to think about it. It was a difficult idea to grasp, but Lauren Oliver delivered it wonderfully. She clearly explained the disease and wrote in such a way that dragged me into this different life than I'm used to. In fact, I was quite mesmorized by it I would be doing something and keep thinking, "Oh no, I can't do this because it is not allowed." And then I would snap out of it and realize how big of an affect the book had on me, even in our way more normal lives.

Like all Dystopian novels, Delirium was very intriguing because they encounter a whole new element that I haven't even thought about. How clever was the idea of living in a world without love? VERY! The whole system of the government was interesting and unique too. This book had a lot of creativity and imagination in it and it must have taken a lot of thought.

I enjoyed Lena, the main character. It was fun to watch her character grow and her individualism soar. Through her narration you not only felt emotions, but understood aspects of the story too. The boy in the story, Alex, was really sweet and caring. I like Hana a lot too. She was so spunky and fun.

The plot was intense! Surprisingly, I got into it really fast. However, the middle section was a little bit of a slow read for me. I don't know if I was just distracted by life or if it just wasn't extremely interesting. But by the end the book had my full attention and my mouth was dropped in shock from all of the excitement and action.

Thus, I am excited for the next book in the series!

Delirium was a really interesting read! I give it an A-. I recommend it for those 14 and up due to strong language, and pretty intense settings in the world that it is set in.
Laquesha B.
Link to my blog: http://boooklover2.Blogspot.com/

I loved Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver and had really high expectations for the first book in her extremely-hyped dystopian series and while I wasn't disappointed...I wasn't exactly overly impressed. The premise of the book was really cool, I liked it, it was original and interesting. However, I found that the sheer amount of world-building in this book really weighed it down and slowed its pace to a drastically boring level. The characters were not really memorable, in my opinion, I was kind of indifferent towards them. And the climax of the book was really cool and badass but...I wasn't a huge fan of the ending of the book.

I found Lauren Oliver's take on love to be really interesting in this novel, or rather, in this world. Reading about love, the thing that embodies our world and makes us who we are, being a disease is weird and oddly thought-provoking. I mean, what if it's all true? What if every other disease is only a symptom of amor deliria nervosa? What if we're all infected? The premise of this novel was extremely original, I've never read anything like it before and I enjoyed reading about such a fascinating world.

As much a I loved reading about the world, I felt that there was too much world-building and it took a lot away from the actual story, made it less exciting. At times, I found myself putting down for days because it was boring me. For three-quarter of the book, it was so slow-paced, it seemed more contemporary than dystopian. Nothing significant was happening, it was summer and the main character was having the time of her life with some boy she liked...classic contemporary. I feel like the level of world-building just overpowered the story and that just did not work for me.

I didn't hate any of the characters in this novel but I didn't love them either, I just felt apathy when reading about these characters. Nothing about them stood out to me, not the main characters, not the supporting characters. I didn't really feel like there was anything for me to love, honestly because the characters really weren't all that developed. My favorite character would probably have to be Alex because he was the only character I felt any sort of feeling for. Again, the amount of world-building left little room for anything else, especially character development.

After the book got over its super boring, contemporary-ish moment, it actually had a really cool climax, filled with guns, motorcycles and helicopters. It was awesome and extremely action packed and I could not stop reading, I just wanted to know more, I needed more and then...it ended, abruptly. What? Why? Cliffhanger? No! The ending was...GAH! It was good in the sense that it made me want to read more and I did read more, I'm currently reading Pandemonium but...cliffhangers, I can't!

In conclusion, I loved a lot of aspects of the book and hated a lot of them also. There was a balance of hate and love and I do hope that the things that I hate are lessened in the second book because there is a lot of hype surrounding this trilogy and I don't want to be the odd one out. Because of the reasons that I listed above, I have decided to rate this book three stars.
Vivian C.
I really like books that are in a different setting, as in they have their own society. It really allows the author to pour out all their creativity and it makes the reader think, well at least i did. I mean imagine if love was an actual disease. The book makes love seem as it is a disease and even has all these regulations as to when people get treated, who gets matched up with who, etc...
Thinking about it from a teenager's perspective, love can be seen as a disease, like it describes in the book. There are 'symptoms' like blushing, heart racing, etc ... So it wasn't that hard for me to imagine the over exaggeration of love.
This book also reminded me of The Giver, since both books have a very controlling government and both the main characters were trying to escape.
As for the romance for this book, i can't really say i was all that into the romance. But it must be hard for the author to even write about romance, since this book is suppose to be about making sure no relationship is formed, especially not between a guy and a girl.
There was this one part that stuck out to me A LOT though, and that was the pivotal point that i really saw how bad the society really was. Towards the end of the book, when the .. cops? regulators? were going around asking to see people's ids and there was this neighbor of Lena, main character, that had a dog. The dog was barking and was being loud so in the end, it was beaten and left in a garbage bag? or was left out on the street. The way Lauren Oliver compared the humans of that society to nothing more than mere animals, was just so, strong and outstanding and that had to be the most amazing part i read from this book, not that the other parts were boring, it just wasn't my type of book to read in the first place to be honest.
I'm not really excited to read the next book, however, because i really liked the dog scene and the writing style Lauren Oliver has, especially when it comes to those very dangerous moments and how she describes it to make it seem like its the end of the world, i think I'll read the next book to serve my curiosity.
Susanne B.
Fishers, IN
I've been on the waiting list at the library for what seems like forever for this book. Is it worth the wait?
Kayla O.
Cabot, AR
How many books a are in the series?
Dani R.
Lomita, CA
Which do you prefer? Hard copy or paperback?
Kara J.
Hillsdale, MI
Thinking about reading this book.... It is on my list.... Is it a slow- or fast read?!?! Will it be worth my time?
Nicole D.