BY CURVES #11 in Gyms

Curves Fitness
  • "I had a free membership years ago when it first came out, and I saw no toning benefits or weight loss from the "workouts."" in 11 reviews
  • "However I do not think it is challenging and should be geared towards older women who want to socialize and be active" in 7 reviews
  • "The Curves in my area is really good for meeting new people and talking about your experience with weight and weight loss advice." in 7 reviews
Crystal R.
Wellness Guru Expert Level 1
I absolutely LOVED Curves Fitness when I was a member. Curves is strictly for women. It is a circuit training fitness center that has a machine at each station. When you sign up, an employee will take your measurements, and weight. You will fill out some forms as well. You will begin at whatever station you like, and change stations when you hear a loud tone over the speakers. You will go around the circuit 3 times. 10 minutes per circuit, working out for a total of 30 minutes. You will intermittently hear a voice come over the speakers instructing you to check your pulse to make sure you are within calorie burning mode. When you are finished, you will go into the relaxing stretch room where you will do a number of stretches (guides will be posted on the wall), and slow your pulse. Every week, if you choose, you can weigh in. And I believe there is also monthly measurements. It's been a while so I don't remember too many details. An employee will put your stats into the computer and track your progress. Stats can be printed out as well. Curves, unfortunately, has died down over the years, so locations are hard to come by (at least here in NJ). It is unfortunate, because Curves is really a wonderful, empowering place for women to go and feel safe working out without buff college dudes gawking. If you can find a Curves location, you should definitely try it out. A great place for beginners, of all shapes and sizes and ages!
Michelle O.
Pine Bluff, AR
Wellness Guru Expert Level 1
I personally didn't see results from the time that I was enrolled and went to workout. You spend 30 seconds at each station, with a station of recovery after the machine that you just used. But the ladies didn't follow the circle and it was hard to stay in the routine of which machine you were supposed to go to next. I didn't feel the machines did anything for me, and I saw ladies there each time that I went who didn't appear to have any difference made for them either. Plus, when I attempted to close out my membership I was still charged 3 months that I wasn't supposed to be charged. The manager wasn't kind in resolving the issue and I had a hard time getting my money back.
Violet H.
Wellness Guru Expert Level 2
I think curves is a really great option if you are insecure or don't know how to work out. As a broke college student I used a free trial just to see what it's about.

Essentially it was a room with workout equipment around the sides and you rotate machines every couple minutes or so. There are also trainers there to ensure proper form.

They also do zumba but I think it's an extra fee per class, I'm not sure. Everyone was nice but it was a bit of an older crowd so I didn't really feel comfortable. Maybe I'll rejoin in my forties.
Krisi H.
Honey Grove, TX
Though I did not find Curves to meet my needs, I gave this gym 4 stars for a reason. This is a good gym for women who like to workout together and do fun aerobic exercises together while motivating one another. It was fun and all, though not challenging enough for my taste. I prefer lifting and HIIT training that challenges my muscles and this gym, though, fun, didn't give me that feeling that I needed to know I worked hard.
Angie G.
Studio City, CA
Wellness Guru Expert Level 1
Used to teach at this place years years ago. I guess the positive point were that it was all women gym and people felt comfortable somehow- although I personally like to see guys on my gym ;) I don't believe the circle training is highly active for someone that want to stay fit. This is good for people that just want to keep their heart rate up
Meril C.
Wellness Guru Expert Level 2
I'm not a huge exercise fan or fitness junkie so Curves is more up my speed with the 30 second stretch on the machine and then 30 seconds off. I have only been to Curves for a month and have lost 10+ lbs and lost over an inch on everything. This is with almost no tweaking of my eating (but it's pretty healthy anyways).
If you want to get back in shape but gyms sound too intimidating then I recommend Curves.
Depending on your location you might even find a new group of friends who will be supportive and cheer you on.
Nicci J.
Girard , OH
Wellness Guru Expert Level 1
Love this because it’s targeted towards just women and they like to sit down with you and find your personal needs and I just love that about them it’s worth every penny. And it’s half an hour workout and whatever else you want to do it’s 150 satisfaction rate I would definitely recommend it to anyone
Hanna M.
Portland, OR
Wellness Guru Expert Level 2
I love curves. I don’t like the mandatory measurements though. I understand the “why” as they have given me the spiel multiple times but they unfortunately have no understanding of people recovering from eating disorders and how the for them needs to be on health not on size.
shayna b.
Mounds View
I loved that it was a smaller place and all females and I really enjoyed the circuits. Only problem is it didn't feel like it was many options. Granted I haven't went in years but I want to try again. Will have to look it up and see nearest one since they closed the one that was up the road
Victoria C.
West liberty
Curves is a great place to go whether you looking to get in a quick workout or a long one, everyone is always so friendly and they have lots of different equipment to choose from! You walk in and feel welcomed instead of people judging you like at most gyms.
Allessandra B.
Is the hype over or does this company actually have results?
Michele G.
Wellness Guru Expert Level 3
Is this worth the price
Kelli B.
Narragansett, RI
Wellness Guru Expert Level 3
Does your Curves offer Zumba?
Shannon P.
Merced, CA
Is it as effective as working out with a trainer
Chelsea E.
I've been to a couple Curves locations. Did anyone else get the feeling that you have to be above a certain age? I was young 20's when I joined and felt secluded :/