Crown Publishing Group Dark Places (Reprint) (Paperback) uploaded by Chlaine D.Crown Publishing Group Dark Places (Reprint) (Paperback) uploaded by Sarah L.Crown Publishing Group Dark Places (Reprint) (Paperback) uploaded by Jewel B.

BY CROWN PUBLISHING GROUP

I have a meanness inside me, real as an organ. Libby Day was seven when her mother and two sisters were murdered in "The Satan Sacrifice of Kinnakee, Kansas." As her family lay dying, little Libby fled their tiny farmhouse into the freezing January snow. She lost some fingers and toes, but she survived-and famously testified that her fifteen-year-old brother, Ben, was the killer. Twenty-five years later, Ben sits in prison, and troubled Libby lives off the dregs of a trust created by well-wishers who've long forgotten her. The Kill Club is a macabre secret society obsessed with notorious crimes. When they locate Libby and pump her for details-proof they hope may free Ben-Libby hatches a plan to profit off her tragic history. For a fee, she'll reconnect with the players from that night and report her findings to the club. and maybe she'll admit her testimony wasn't so solid after all. As. see more...

• Did anyone else love this as much as Gone Girl? I did. 6 Answers
Delaney K.
Davie, FL
From the same author of Gone Girl so I knew it would be dark and exciting. I really liked this book. I like Gillian Flynn and will be reading her other book sharp objects very soon! Although the this wasn't as good as gone girl it still had a very intriguing story to tell.
Ashley S.
Powell, OH
Omg. I love this author. I loved this book. It is creepy, and the characters are very well-developed. I have read all of this authors books, and she is one of my favorite. I love the thriller and suspension genre. This is a must read for sure.
Chlaine D.
Antioch, TN
This book is AMAZING! I read the it at work during my down time. I cannot put it down. there are so many twists and turns. As chilling as it is, it also has a bit of dark humor.
MELISSA B.
This author is brilliant.  I am so busy most of the time that I pick up a book and binge read 1/3 of it and I wont pick it up to finish it for a few months. This authors books are written so smoothly that you want to read the next chapter to see what's going to happen.  I love the plot twists at the end.  Great book.
Amy R.
Alpharetta, GA
Good one! I think I liked Gone Girl and Sharp Objects better but I still really enjoyed this one! It fell short of the crazy that is in Gone Girl and Sharp objects but it is still a pretty intriguing story and keeps you reading. Maybe not the best of the three but certainly not bad! Time for another book Gillian!
Cindy R.
Kalamazoo , MI
Dark Places centers around Libby Day, who survived an attack on her family when she was seven years old - an attack that left her older brother, Ben in prison for murder. Now, twenty-four years later, she's finally found the courage to actually look into the events that happened that day. As she begins digging deeper, she finds out much more about her family than she ever dreamed of.

Libby's character was such a conundrum to me - yes, she's a victim of a horrendous crime. She was virtually orphaned at a very young age. Still, her quirks and ticks confused and baffled me at times. Toward the end, she became more human, so I recognize that during the time she was growing as a person. However, I never felt a connection to her at all.

Ben was one character that I actually felt for a little. During the parts of the book that are about him, it was almost as if his life was something that was happening to him, rather than something that he was experiencing and a part of.

The character that most confused me, though, was Diondra. I felt like her character didn't quite fit with her own background story, if that makes sense. She was a spoiled little rich kid. Her parents let her live in a "spare" house and sent her money and she'd go shopping on end. Yet, she was doing ridiculous amounts of drugs, treated her boyfriend terribly, and didn't care about her health situation. It just doesn't fit together.

Dark Places was really interesting and kept me guessing the entire time - not only "whodunnit," but what it the world actually even happened that fateful day. It also was incredibly depressing. The way the Day family lived before the massacre. The way that Libby lived as an adult. Runner's entire life. If the mystery portion hadn't been so strong, I may not have been able to finish this one. I generally do not gravitate to anything depressing, and this one really made it hard to see the light.

However, I did just find out that this was made into a movie, so I will be needing to see that, for sure!
Sarah L.
Averill Park
I loved this book! One of Gillian Flynn's better books. It has your attention right from the beginning. The main character struggles with the mystery of her own life. The more digging she does, the more she finds out. Not always good either. The ending she pretty much ends up in the same predicament as in the beginning. Must read.
Lina M.
Kearny , NJ
This book is by the author of gone girl. oMG I wish they make this into a movie. Kept me engaged the whole time. Packed with suspense and such a twist of events. A must read! You won't be disappointed!
Rebecca W.
Buffalo, NY
I actually couldn't put this book down. It's so dark and twisted and you have to know what happens. I love Gillian Flynn's writing and would recommend any of her books, but this just may be my favorite. I bet you can't guess what happens.
BettyJo M.
Like Gone Girl, very well written. Every page wants you to keep turning. Great thriller. It's a must read if you enjoy this author or genre. Overall as good as Gone Girl. I recommend it to everyone that likes this type of story line.
Lyndsey R.
Uniontown, PA
Did anyone else love this as much as Gone Girl? I did.