BY COUCHSURFING #79 in Websites

CouchSurfing
  • "I can highly recommend trying it if you really want to get to know locals or people from different countries. " in 1 review
Wendy R.
Wendy R.
Sharon, Ma
Coachsurfing is your best option if you are into cultural exchange and saving money on lodging, the families and people that are offering to be host go through a process to review that they are appropriate and that their house will accommodate you as they promise so give it a try and open your mind to new experiences! you will probably make life time friends
Nora L.
Nora L.
Hattiesburg, MS
This is a secondhand review. I have some friends who used this throughout Asia and I guess it worked fine but I am totally terrified of it. Granted, they were traveling as a couple which is more safe than a woman alone, but still! They did have a good experience and I have to note that, but I think people are bananas for staying on a stranger's couch in an unfamiliar place!
Influenster M.
Influenster M.
Pop Culture Expert
I hosted a couch surfer named Doug years ago, he was from PA en route to CA he was with us for a week super legit guy, it wasn't weird at all he was really respectful.
Erin N.
Erin N.
Unfortunately I think the previous (and currently only existing) review is confused as to what CouchSurfing.com is. From their Wikipedia:
"CouchSurfing.com is a hospitality exchange and social networking website. The website provides a platform for members to "surf" on couches by staying as a guest at a host's home, host travelers, or join an event"

I have found CS to be an amazing way for a traveler to see the world by not just casually viewing it as a passerby, but by being welcomed in to being a PART of it, and truly engaging with its cultures through active social engagement in our world.

A tourist may see new city or country, but only "through glass"- through car or tour bus windows, through the lens of the camera they never see beyond, through the hotel window.... Always at a distance. But from what- the very place they came to SEE?! What do they EXPERIENCE? When they fly home at the end of their trip, will they value their souvenirs- or their EXPERIENCES? And what did they learn about that new place, that culture, or themselves?

Couchsurfing.com has allowed me to immerse myself in this new world, this new culture, and renew my faith in the compassion of people who open up their homes to those who wish to truly experience the world. Through it, I've made friendships and memories that will last far beyond that Effiel tower keychain from a hotel lobby, or anything else that money can buy- I've become a part of this world, and those memories will last a lifetime.

From their site: "At Couch Surfing International, we envision a world where everyone can explore and create meaningful connections with the people and places they encounter. Building meaningful connections across cultures enables us to respond to diversity with curiosity, appreciation and respect. The appreciation of diversity spreads tolerance and creates a global community.”
Becca N.
Becca N.
Owensboro, KY
What would this be "Couch surfing?"
How could this help you in life at all?
"Couch surfing??"
(1) Browsing channels
(2) No entertainment
(3) Being lazy
Robin M.
Robin M.
Denver, CO
I have had friends do this. It seems to work well for singletons, but married couples are hard to accomodate.
Jorden V.
Jorden V.
Dublin, CA
Super cool resource, and you can help someone out by giving them a place to stay for a few days. Excellent idea!
Barbara H.
Barbara H.
Apex, NC
Couchsurfing is a fantastic idea and I have both hosted and stayed at someone else's place. Mostly I stay with other people and my experiences have been fantastic. They're all like minded travelers and very welcoming. I can highly recommend trying it if you really want to get to know locals or people from different countries.
Nicole A.
Nicole A.
Harwood, ND
Pop Culture Expert
I think that couchsurfing is a fantastic idea. I've only used it once and had a positive experience, and my boyfriend has used it too when traveling across the country and had only had positive experiences. It's fantastic if you want to save money, but not so great if you're in introvert as you really should talk to or spend time with your hosts since they're giving you a place to sleep.