BY COREPOWER YOGA

Ariel F.
Naperville, IL
I took class at CPY from starting in June 2014, and it only took about 4 months to convince myself to sign up for teacher training. I completed 200 hr power yoga teacher training as well as hot power fusion training at CPY and started teaching in April 2015. I have worked there for almost 2 years now, and it is honestly one of the best workplace environments I have ever experienced. Raises and pay evaluations are done on a yearly basis and are pretty generous. When you teach 2 permanent classes per week you get a free membership for you and one additional person. We do quarterly outings as a community and management is SO supportive of their instructors. I could go on about how much I love about this place! Love taking classes and working here-this will be a long term place of employment and exercise for me! (cpy Naperville/chicago suburbs)
Rachel L.
SUNNYVALE, CA
I loooove Core power! My local studio is clean and has nice shower rooms and a big studio with natural lighting. The check in staff are friendly, and the clothing offered is really trendy and cute. I live the Yoga Sculpt class... It's the perfect pace and very challenging. I always feel like I got a great, well rounded workout. The prices are pretty standard for this area. (Silicon Valley)
Chelsea E.
Maple Grove, MN
One of my best decisions to join. I take yoga sculpt and it is a great class I recommend to all
Christina S.
San Marcos, CA
I love practicing yoga! I like this studio a lot! Although I do not belong To this studio, I was able to experience yoga the way it was supposed to be experienced
Casey M.
West Olive, MI
I absolutely love this yoga. It totally gets you in tact with your body and core. Before you know it, you're bendy like a noodle. #yogamama #yogagirl #stretch #yogalove
Lindsey B.
Minnetonka, MN
CorePower in my area has a lot of negative connotations. I think a lot of people associate CPY with the corporatization of yoga and as only a company that's only trying to make money off it. While I don't love the price of monthly membership or the fees to rent a mat or use a towel, I get it and it doesn't deter me from continuing to attend classes at these studios. I used to be very overweight and taking heated yoga classes through CPY a few times a week (combined with diet and other strength training and cardio exercise) helped me lose a lot of weight. Now I turn to it anytime I need a deep stretch, tough workout, or stress reduction.
Elizabeth B.
Portland, OR
I've attended classes at locations in California and in Colorado. The studios are immaculately clean, and the staff and teachers have always been very friendly. If you are an intermediate or advanced yoga student who is already schooled in anatomically friendly alignment and can get into and out of a pose quickly and safely (most injuries occur on the way out of a pose), and like a heated studio, this might be for you. If you are looking for a replacement for your gym that focuses on a six pack but also has yoga, this might be for you. Beginners should look elsewhere, because even the beginner classes do not prepare you to practice safely in the heat. (Heat allows your muscles and joints to go further than they otherwise could, making your joints less stable, and making weaker muscles and ligaments more prone to tear. This isn't to say heat is unsafe--it's not--but that you have to be a little more careful.)

Most of the teachers seem very new to teaching yoga (even a few who I know had been practicing and teaching longer), and very few of them seem to have any instruction outside of CorePower's own teacher training program. (I have not taken their teacher training.) The classes are almost all at a semi-quick pace--"flow" style, moving in and out of poses rapidly--and as a result there is little correction on the basics of yoga. The majority of yoga injuries result from repetition of poor form, so there are a few things that are extremely important. For example, in chaturanga (low push-up), the shoulders should never dip below the elbows; this is because it causes wear on the shoulder joints. Another example is that in standing poses such as warrior 1 and 2, the bent knee should be directly above or slightly behind the ankle (90 degree angle or greater); this is because moving the knee to the side (super common) puts stress on the anterior ligaments, and moving the knee forward stresses the ligaments and is also more wear on the ankle, plus it is less stable. I rarely saw these corrected in class, and even more rarely heard an oral instruction to the whole class. I also regularly saw students practicing shoulder stand without any props, flattening the cervical spine completely and overdoing the lumbar curve (which can lead to postural imbalance and spinal degeneration). These three problems were so common that it was distracting for me to try to practice. I gave up my membership.

While I enjoyed aspects of the yoga sculpt classes--yoga with weights--the introduction of HIIT drills in a heated room makes no sense to me based on what I know about exercise science. (I'm a licensed and certified group x instructor.) Sweat is not a measure of how hard your workout is (otherwise I'd work out in the sauna!) and it does not magically "detox" you. I prefer Sherri Baptiste's yoga with weights and the Xen Strength program to the CorePower versions.

Some studios also have Real Ryder cycles, which are fantastic. Like real bikes, they move from side to side so you can engage your core muscles as well.
Marlene G.
Los Angeles, CA
I love this place. I haven't tried many other places for yoga but I really like the atmosphere here. They have 3 levels of yoga and hot yoga! If you really want to get your workout on, corepower offers a class called yoga sculpt! Yes! It's yoga with weights! And it's any level of yoga. If you decide to try this class, you will love it! I started off with 3 lb weights and moved up! Trust me, I could feel it!! I give this place a two thumbs up!
Carli B.
I have been practicing yoga for close to 4 years. That being said I was used to my studio and the teachers. I am not one who likes change but I recently moved and had to find another studio. I was hesitant to join Corepower because it is a corporate studio and I thought the vibe was going to be totally off and all about the number of students and not the intention of yoga but boy was I wrong. I have completed fallen in lone with Corepower. The teachers are absolutely amazing- I have my favorites but I haven't come across anyone I wouldn't go back to. The studios are immaculate. Sometimes I even take a class and shower and get ready for work after. They provide lotion, deodorant, hair dryers and brushes! Overall the experience has been nothing but positive. The location I go to most regularly even has special class like glow in the dark HPF. Since it's in a big city they also have vendors from organic or health conscious food or lifestyle companies come and promote the products. So not only do I get to do yoga, I am introduced to healthy products that fit my lifestyle. They offer one week free for new students-go try..please! You might find what you're missing in your life.
Mandee R.
Hawthorne, CA
I am currently enrolled in CPY's Power Teacher Training. I absolutely love it!!! The studio is my second home. Has such a great environment, classes are enriched with learning, and traveling is convenient. If you want to try hot yoga this is the place to go and get a great experience.
Nicole F.
Pendleton, IN
How long did you use this program?