Coraline

by Henry Selick

From the Director of The Nightmare Before Christmas comes a visually stunning stop-motion animated feature like you've never seen before! Coraline Jones is bored in her new home until she finds a secret door that leads her into a world that's just like her own…but better! But when this fantastical adventure turns dangerous and her "other" Mother tries to keep her forever, Coraline must count on her resourcefulness and bravery to get home. Critics are hailing Coraline as "A remarkable feat of imagination." (Kenneth Turan, Los Angeles Times).

Is the book as scary as the movie?
Where can I find merchandise for Coraline?
When did everyone watch this
Start your review of Coraline!
How would you rate this product?
a year agoSoledad, CA
I love Neil Gaiman's writing style, and he truly does not disappoint with Coraline. The storyline is written well, and the descriptions of sertings and characters makes the story so vivid in one's mind. The novel is creepy and eery, and it makes you completely drown out your surroundings because you will become so completely engrained in the story. I highly recommend it, and being only about 150 pages, it'll serve as a quick, memorable read.
3 years agoGoleta, CA
This was one of my favorite books growing up. Neil Gaiman has such a distinct writing style and sense of humor. If you enjoy books with a unique premise and dark storyline, this book is for you. While I did read Coraline was I was young, I would warn that this book and its movie counterpart can be quite creepy and might scare younger readers/viewer.
2 years agoShelby Twp, MI
Not only is the book amazing but the movie is even better! Coraline is my favorite movie and book! It really captures your eye and keeps you entertained and in the edge of your seat! I've seen this movie more than 100 times and it still is my favorite!
4 years ago
This is another one of those books where I watched the film long before I ever knew it was a book. After finding out that it was a book, it instantly went on my to-read list. It has sat there for a really long while. Now that my son is three and currently obsessed with the stop motion film version of this book, I knew it was time to pick it up and read. I really enjoyed reading Coraline. Gaiman created a brilliantly creepy world that I was instantly sucked into. The book is much different than the film but in some ways very similar. Some characters and my favorite parts of the film don't exist in the book which was slightly disappointing to me. Which is why I give 4 stars instead of 5. Otherwise the imagery throughout the book is vivid. I love the concepts throughout. I think I would have enjoyed reading Coraline more if I had not seen the film a zillion times.
3 years agoRocky Point, NY
This movie is amazing! When it first came out I thought it was for kids, but there was a lot of hidden concepts and things that were said that are not for children. I wouldn't recommend to a mother or father watching it with their younger children, but I would recommend it for young adults/adults.
3 years agoAustin , TX
Okay so for starters, this is definitely NOT a movie for kids. I found that out the hard way when I took my little sister to the movie theaters to see it. That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. It's super creepy. I did not realize at the time that there was also a book but it is definitely on my to read list now.
5 years ago
Probably not for everyone but I really like this movie. My stepdaughter and I bonded over it, think what you want, but she learned a great lesson from it. Her exact words at the end were "That's why she should have been happy with what she had". How can you not love a movie that teaches your kids something like that.
5 years agoOlympia, WA
My entire family love this movie. It has been out several years now, but is just as good every time we re-watch it. Whenever the current Coraline DVD in our collection gets too banged up, we go get another to replace it. This one will always be in our DVD library!
5 years agoFair Haven, VT
I personally really enjoy the movie. It has a dark story, but it has a great lesson for kids to learn in this world of "gimme, gimme, gimme". However, there are some parts that are not exactly kid friendly. But, even with Disney, I find that there are a lot of adult innuendos, so it is a matter of deciding for yourself whether or not you want your children to watch it.
5 years agoRound Rock, TX
Neil Gaiman is a genius. Coraline is original and creepy. It is billed as a children's movie, but I would be hesitant to let my kids see it. The button-eye world is SCARY - but for older, more mature kids/teenagers and adults, I highly recommend it.