Marlena M.

Approximately how long does this last before you have to refill it? I have 3 cats (two boys and a girl) who have all grown up together from same litter. For some reason the smaller male is very competitive with the bigger male. Which leads to occasional fights, scratching everything in sight, territory "claiming", and "marking their spots". My vet said it would stop if they were neutered but two years later...it's still a problem. Tried his other suggestions too but nothing worked yet. Anybody think this will stop the crazy behavior and carpet mess?

Kristin H.
Kristin H.
Twin Lakes, WI
3 years, 3 months ago
Mine usually last a little over 4 weeks. I have 4 cats 1 male and 3 females. I usually keep one extra on handy just incase my unspayed female cat goes in heat
christina m.
christina m.
East Boston, MA
3 years, 4 months ago
Yes the spray works much better
Ashleigh D.
Ashleigh D.
Olympia, WA
3 years, 7 months ago
They last for up to a month. Definitely look into acquiring the spray (not as expensive as the plug-ins and refills) to use in spots that are frequently marked/sprayed on.
Annemarie H.
Annemarie H.
New Orleans, LA
3 years, 8 months ago
Typically lasts for about 3-4 weeks. Should be placed in the cats most frequented paths such as near litter boxes or beds. Usually you can tell when it's pretty much out as there isn't any liquid left and it doesn't quite smell as odd/burny when you get close to it. The product doesn't always work but I've had good success with my female cats. My male cats, not so much. At our clinic we have one in the "cat room" level with the exam table, and helps calm the cats somewhat, or at least they are interested in its smell and distracted a little more.
Jenna Z.
Jenna Z.
Montgomry Vlg, MD
4 years ago
It should last between 3- weeks and you will need to put them near litter boxes and cat beds to be the most effective. The whole point of them is to make cats feel more comfortable in their territory, but if there's on going conflict as a result of hierarchy problems (males competing to be alpha), it might not work. We had a female cat who felt threatened in her status with another cat and the Feliway did nothing to help her. It just depends on the cats.
Caitlin S.
Caitlin S.
The Plains, OH
4 years, 2 months ago
Feliway is one of those things that works for some cats but not for others - but when it does work, it's like night and day. It can be horribly frustrating to have cat fights breaking out on a regular basis. Have you ruled out any additional health problems (such as urinary tract infections)? Sometimes adding an extra litter box somewhere else in the house can help curb the behaviors (especially with three cats in the house - the little hooligans in my house make a show of ambushing one another while on the toilet!). Also, make sure each cat has a separate safe space designated as "theirs" that they can retreat to when they feel bullied or put out by another cat - it can be as tiny as a box or as large as a room to themselves. Try to figure out where the behavior is stemming from - if it's a litter box ambush issue, for example, place the diffuser near the box. If it occurs most often in the living room while the kitties are vying for prime nap time spots, place it in there, and so on. It should help throughout the house, but it really adds that extra, concentrated punch when it's located near where the bulk of the worst behaviors are occurring.
Laurel W.
Laurel W.
Huntington, WV
4 years, 5 months ago
It lasts depending on the environment and how high the stress levels are for the cats. If they are higher, the vial may not last as long as you would like. If they are not in any stressful situations (moving, new animal introduced into home, etc.) then the vial may last you well over a month.
Marie C.
Marie C.
Plainville, MA
4 years, 7 months ago
I absolutely think that it will help. And they usually last me 4-6 weeks.
Eliza F.
Eliza F.
Middletown, CT
4 years, 7 months ago
I had luck initially. I have two female cats and there are male cats in our neighborhood who frequently come up to the sliding door, so one of my cats started spraying at the door. Tried Feliway and it worked for the first few weeks and then she started up again. I ended up going to the Vet (who tried to get me to use Feliway) and I insisted on something more. My cat is now on Prozac and as long as she gets her pill every day, I have not had any additional problems. I highly recommend bringing your small male to the Vet.
Anjali N.
Anjali N.
Redmond, WA
4 years, 8 months ago
I suggest buying the refills in bulk on Amazon for those that find it extremely pricey. Ours lasts about 4 weeks and while it doesn't necessarily STOP the behavior, it does reduce it making the apartment a lot more livable. Just keep in mind that one diffuser only covers about 700 sq. ft so you may have to buy accordingly. I also heard you can pair this with the spray which also helps.