BY CLINIQUE #80 in Facial Cleansers

By combining gentle cleansing with exfoliating power, this 2-in-1 formula takes away dirt, dulling dead skin cells, excess oil and impurities to give skin a smooth finish and a radiant glow. Preps skin for makeup. It is gentle enough to use twice a day.

How To Use

• Been wanting to try for a while now... is it worth it?2 Answers
  • Does anyone use this morning and night?1 Answers
  • I can have sensitive skin depending on the time of year -...4 Answers
Clinique Pep-Start™ 2-in-1 Exfoliating Cleanser
  • "Finally an exfoliating cleanser that doesn't break out my sensitive acne prone skin. This cleanser is gentle enough to use daily and leaves your skin feeling soft and smooth. I prefer using it in the am before applying makeup." in 33 reviews
Elizabeth C.
Louisville, KY
After a night of masks, makeup removers, double cleansing, toners, moisturizers or serum and possibly more I need something to really cleanse and exfoliate my face. I usually use First Aid Beauty Facial Radiance Polish 3.5 oz because somehow it takes away my acne and blackheads and clogged pores and prevents any new ones from forming and its super gentle. But I received a sample of this that had enough for me to wash three times so I used it each morning.
I have extremely oily skin. So oily that every hour after I wash my face I can fill up 3 to 4 large blotting sheets if I don't use any mattifying products and most of them don't even work. It's abnormal. Hormones cause my acne and have since thr start of puberty 14 years ago but because I'm so oily the oil acts as a glue to dead skin cells and instead of allowing them to fall off it clogs the pores so an exfoliator is necessary to slough that off.
I feel like this did that. It was a true exfoliator. The grains were small but not super fine. It smelled decent and had a nice almost gel like but still soft texture. It exfoliates and cleanses well and after I rinse I feel like everything I put on my face to help shrink my pores, prevent aging spots and wrinkles and help my complexion comes off and I'm left with a clean base for my day skincare regimen and makeup which is very important.
It works well but I'm taking away a star because I feel like it dries my face out initially. That doesn't last long for me of course, but right after for about 10 min I get an uncomfortable tight feeling and I guess that's ok as I use Sunday Riley Martian Mattifying Melting Water-Gel Toner and GLAMGLOW VOLCASMIC™ Matte Glow Moisturizer but for someone who doesn't add anything after they wash to moisturize it may be a little uncomfortable and make your skin freak out and produce more oils or get too dry depending on your issues.
Because of that I would only recommend this for those who will be adding some sort of moisture afterwards.
It's a little high priced for a cleanser but a little goes a long way as long as you're not wasteful so I believe it will even out compared to drugstore face washes that go very quickly because they have so much filler product. But in the end it just comes down to your preference and what you're looking for.
I wouldn't purchase as I love my usual exfoliator and morning cleanser too much and it's much gentler but I'd use it if i had it.
Margaret Q.
Port Chester, NY
I received this from Sephora as a bigger sample and I love it! The gel wipes over the skin like a cleanser and as you rub the product in, the granulas are strong enough to slough the dead skin off without being too harsh. It is a make up remover, but was hesitant to use it around the eye area, but when I did it was fine as the granulas wash away fairly easy with water. My dry, sensitive skin was clean and soft and ready for my follow up moisturizer. This is a grate product for people who like exfoliant but can’t use products like St.Ives. Will definitely be purchasing more in the future.
Brittany W.
Warrenton, MO
I never knew about this product until recently when I received a sample from Sephora. I love exfoliators, as they help remove the roughness and dead skin that I can get. This product does what it is intended to do: it’s gentle but still exfoliates to the point that you know your skin is being cleaned. When adding water, it bubbled up on my skin, which for some reason I really liked that. It didn’t have an aroma so this product is perfect for someone with sensitive skin and and sensitive to smell. Afterwards I noticed how soft and glowing my skin looked, not to mention it was clean after wearing a day of makeup! When I am finished with my sample, I will buy the full product. That’s how much I liked it.
Hayden S.
I use this about three times per week the days I do exfoliation because I have sensitive skin. That’s he average to exfoliate. Two days a week I use mud masks for my pores to close them up.
This exfoliating cleanser smells fresh like fruit punch or oranges to me. I really like it. I know some don’t because of that. It doesn’t bother my sensitive skin but I think it improves it and the brightness and it definitely does its job well.
Clinique has made some great new products.
Ren D.
Baton Rouge
My saving grace, holy grail, whatever you want to call it! I have veryyyy oily but combination and acne prone sensitive skin and I needed something to control it all! I noticed with other cleansers it would leave patches of dry skin and eventually make up would get cakey, but this has improved my skin tremendously as well as provide a flawless canvas for my make up! I believe I’m on my 5th tube now and there are no signs of stopping. Wholeheartedly recommend!!!
Gina L.
Got a sample size of this in my Sephora play box and was pleasantly surprised. I’m normally not a huge fan of Clinique as it broke me out when I used it in the past but this is a nice exfoliating wash. It acts as a two in one so it cleanses and exfoliates but I only use it as to exfoliate so can’t say whether it is an effective cleanser. I find that exfoliating my skin too much doesnt so much for me so I only used this once a week.
Katie N.
Riverside, CA
I received this in my Sephora box so it’s a smaller size but it’s perfect because I always take it when I’m traveling and I just really enjoy this cleanser as it is a scrub but it’s not harsh so you can use it once a day I usually do it in the morning to give my skin a fresh start and I feel like my make up applies so much better when I use a scrub in the morning so I would definitely recommend this one
Katherine C.
 I love this product!  It does exactly what it says, cleanses and exfoliates the skin all in one.  It takes all makeup and grime off your face then deep cleans.  It also smells very good and leaves the skin feeling soft and smooth.  I am prone to adult acne and this product  does not cause my skin to breakout.  I love the fact that it’s a 2 in one product and I don’t have to buy 2 separate products for my skin needs.   I think for the price of the item, it’s well worth purchasing.
Kat J.
San Antonio, TX
I had a small foil packet sample of this from Sephora, and just tried it this week...

I wasn’t a fan. The smell was like a chemical-fruity concoction, and the texture was quite sticky. The exfoliation was on the rougher side, which isn’t ideal for an everyday use product. This scrub just didn’t do anything for my skin. It cleansed well, so I give it credit for that,... But that was all it did. My acne remained (it actually got a little worse) and my face didn’t improve at all with its texture or oiliness or anything. So, if the scent and texture and results are lower than mediocre, why would you wanna use this product? There are so many better cleansers and exfoliators out there,...

Normally I love Clinique, but this product was a pass for me. I won’t be buying it. 1 / 5 stars.
Denaysha B.
I love this exfoliator I purchased about 6 months ago and it has been needed during my nighttime cleaning routine for my face. This product is expensive but a great investment for clear and clean skin. You can feel the transformation on your face when using this product. I love using this product with the Clarisonic Mia 2
Crystal W.
I can have sensitive skin depending on the time of year -_- and can get dry. Has anybody had a problem using this w/ a similar type of skin?
Paula N.
Providence, RI
Been wanting to try for a while now... is it worth it?
Eliana A.
Doral, FL
Este producto es bueno para pieles grasas?
Alexa C.
Mamaroneck, NY
I've heard this is good for under eye...is that true??
Jennifer D.
Digby, NS
Does anyone use this morning and night?