BY CLINIQUE #9 in Toners & Astringents

Skin Types: 2

Dermatologist-developed formula helps reveal fresher skin. Sweeps away dulling flakes and excess oil so moisturizer can do its job better.

Helps fine dry lines disappear.

• How does this leave the skin feeling?2 Answers
  • Clinique Clarifying Lotion 21 Answers
  • Is this product extremely drying? Is it good for sensitiv...18 Answers
Michelle H.
I honestly don't know if there's anything special about this toner, but if it ain't broke don't fix it!

I have literally been using this toner for YEARS - 7 to 8 years? I can't even put an exact number on it. All I know is I've repurchased this thing in the jumbo size more times than I can count (p.s. what happened to the super jumbo size with the dispenser cap?!) and my skin has been behaving *so* well for years now on a pretty solid skincare regimen that I have no reason to change up my toner. In fact, this is the longest standing, most persistent item in my regimen! A real OG.

It feels extra refreshing after cleansing my face, and removes any leftover makeup and dirt that cleaning just doesn't get to - and if you've never used a toner before, you're definitely missing out. If you *think* your skin is clean after cleansing, you're in for a surprise. Toner not only helps ensure your skin is extra clean, it also rebalances the pH of your skin and helps prep it for the skincare that you're about to apply. pH is important because the skincare you're about to put on will only work optimally if the pH of your skin is within a certain range... Thus, the toner just helps ensure every step of your skincare regimen is working at its full potential!

It should be noted that there is denatured alcohol in this product, which can cause a stinging sensation especially in those who have sensitive skin. If I have an open breakout, then it'll sting, but I never experience burning or irritation from this product. Everyone's skin is different though, and this product just happens to work well with my skin.

Bonus: this thing is wallet friendly
Sydnee G.
Oklahoma City
I use the Clinique Clarifying Lotion 2, twice a day. Once in the morning and once at night. I have seen a dramatic change in the appearance of my skin! It helps to clear my acne in a timely manner. I rated 4/5 stars for several reasons.
1. It DOES work. I have tried several clarifying lotions/toners, and this has been the best so far!
2. If you have dry patches on your skin, this clarifying lotion will slightly burn upon applying. I emphasize keeping your skin moisturized if you are going to use this product!
3. This is great for skin affected by acne, but it does nothing for pores. Now, it doesn’t say it changes the look of pores, but that is one thing that I wish it did.
I do recommend this product, and it is one that I will continue using!
Dellea C.
Philadelphia
This is a first impression, but so far so good. The product removed any missed dirty spots on my face (which was thoroughly washed with the matching cleanser and silicone scrub pad). It stung in different areas of my face, but I suspect this was exacerbated by the fact I roughly tweezed a few hours beforehand (whoops). Otherwise, it’s a refreshing almost tingling sensation. My skin is typically very flaky due to excess sebum and it was very smooth and primed afterward! I am thinking of buying the biggest size after a few more weeks of use. I knocked off a star due to the stinging and the scent (not pleasant). Also, I wish the packaging was as sleek and shiny as their other product lines.
Cat K.
Royal Oak
 Love this stuff. Can’t say enough good about it. I was finding myself with breakouts, uneven skin tone, and flakiness. It wasn’t until I went to a clinique counter, and one of the workers told me that this clarifying lotion sloughs off the top layer of dead skin on your face. That means the moisturizer that I was using was just sitting on top of the dead skin. With this clarifying lotion, I’m able to have the moisturizer actually seep in to my real skin instead of just sitting on top of it. I’ve noticed better hydrated skin, more even skin tone, refreshed skin, and less inconsistency with my combination oil and dryness.
Denise K.
This toner was pretty harsh and made me break out. I had to return it. I will be honest to say that I’m not sure if it was even the right one for my skin type. I trusted the lady at the store to determine what would fit my skin, then (disappointed by myself) did the research after I started to try it. So by the time my brain got overloaded and confused with the different “numbers” and ingredients that would determine the correct toner that I should use, I just gave up and didn’t want to try another one from Clinique for fear of breaking out again.
Danni S.
Algonquin
I really don't know how to feel about the Clinique Clarifying Lotion 2. This product has been around forever and has a loyal following. I was able to get this on sale with a free gift with purchase so I figured I would try it.
I love clean skin and the feeling of clean skin. I wear heavy make up and when I go to wash my face, I always follow up with a toner or micellar water to make sure I have every stitch of the makeup off of my face. This product did that well for my dry combo skin. But that's where it ends for me. First it smells like chemicals and the scent would last on your face. This toner burned my under eyes and any small break outs that I had. Unfortunately, there is Alcohol Denat in this product which belongs nowhere near dry and aging skin in my opinion. This dried my face out and didn't really help my break outs or "clarify" my skin. In fact, it made it tight, dry even after my moisturizer after.
I'm not sure why this is such a cult product. There are so many better and cheaper products out there that are alcohol free. It's disappointing, I expected better from Clinique.
Samantha S.
Levittown, PA
I used this before talking to an esthetician about skin care. This toner has alcohol in it. Alcohol is drying and damaging to the skin. Clinique will train their employees to say that it is "cosmetic grade alcohol" that has benefits for the skin. That is not true. It's regular old rubbing alcohol. I know some people use alcohol to take breakouts but you can use witch hazel to do the same thing that will not damage your skin. I will never use this product on my skin again. Since I've switched toners my skin is so much healthier.
Mari D V.
Perry
My skin starts out really dry after I shower and then gets oily throughout the day.  This Clarifying Lotion #2 is perfect for my sensitive skin.  It doesn't sting and leaves my skin feeling clean and fresh.  It doesn't overdry my skin either.  Based on the survey you take at the Clinique counter I should be a 3 or 4, but found that those were to drying and harsh on my skin.  I switched to this one and found that it worked perfectly for my skin needs and this is the one I buy all the time.
morgan f.
Oconomowoc, WI
I first got this toner in a gift set in 7th grade as my mom introduced me to skin care routines. Since then, I’ve tried plenty of toners including the very popular Thayers (which I had a horrible allergic reaction to!) and I always go back to this one. It has alcohol, but it doesn’t dry me out and it gives you a very refreshing feeling on your face. I don’t feel like my face is really “clean” until I’ve used this. It’s expensive, but worth it for me. Clinique products truly never disappoint me.
Erin K.
Orchard Beach, MD
I absolutely love this product! It makes me skin feel so free of dirt and toxins! It gives a little bit a tingly feeling which is something that I like, but may not be for everyone! It definitely is worth the price but it is a little expensive for my taste and budget. However if you're looking for a toner type product this might be a great option for you! It doesn't make my skin feel overly dry and it helps to even out my skin tone! I would definitely recommend it to others!!
Kendra H.
Chino, CA
Is this product extremely drying? Is it good for sensitive skin?
Anastasiya K.
Duluth, MN
Did anyone's skin react badly to this and dry out? I loved this product but then it just stopped working right for me.
Jackie M.
I bought this product.. Is it supposed to burn a little bit? I love that feeling, but am not sure if it is good for the skin to feel a bit of a burn.
Morgan E.
Holly hill, FL
I have been reading reviews on this product and people seem to love it. Is it recommended for oily skin?
Fatima A.
Worth, IL
Is this a good product? I saw it at ulta on clearance and was debating on it but wasn't even sure what it does to your face.