Add a Photo

By CLINIQUE
#153 in Lipstick

Transparent pigment merges with the unique, natural tone of your lips to create something wonderful and yours alone. Sheer, glossy. Emollient-rich and very lightweight.

Photos (27)
Christine N.
Christine N.
I just received this product after having not used it since college. It was all the rage back then as college girls like Clinique and Liv Tyler used the shade in Black Honey for LOTR which just added to this product's cult appeal. I recall buying two tubes in college.

Now over 15 years later, I have to say the product has not changed at all. I remember the texture and taste and it is exactly the same. In college, for me at that time, I considered it a sheer lipstick. But now that I am an older and have accumulated a lot of lipstick experience under my belt, this is like a glossy tinted lip balm for me. The texture reminds me the most of Revlon lip butters but with much less pigment. I would really put this in the tinted lip balm category though the gloss/shine is much more than other tinted lip balms out there right now. The color is like a very sheer red/brown/plum depending on your lip tone that can be built up. The net result is a natural looking flush with shine.
Emily L.
Emily L.
Ann Arbor, MI
Jan. 26, 2016, 5:48 p.m.
Review for: Black Honey
This is hands down my favorite lip product. Black honey may seem like an intimidating color but the product is sheer and build-able, which means your first layer gives a nice wash of color and adding layers gives deeper and deeper shades. I have olive skin and am more on the darker side (black hair, brown eyes, etc.) but just a light layer of this looks perfectly natural and evens out my lip color. I love it!

If you don't want to to dish out $17 for a lipstick/stain, the Burt's Bees tinted lip balm in Red Dahlia ($5-7) is an excellent dupe! However, the reason I prefer this Almost Lipstick over the lip balm is that lip balms tend to dry out my lips so by mid-day, my lips are peeling and I have to keep reapplying the lip balm. This Clinique product is still moisturizing but doesn't have the same effect. I do have to reapply it once more near the end of the day but, in my opinion, that beats having flaky skin on my lips by a long shot.
Jayke S.
Jayke S.
Nampa, ID
AHHHHH I just got this in my Sephora Play Box this month in the shade Black Honey. The name is not accurate, because it is neither black nor tastes like honey, but lies aside, it's great. I am screaming. It is the perfect "every day" color that I've been searching for. It's glides on smoother than the most spreadable butter and looks natural, but has a darker tint that is very flattering. Similar colors I've tried either feel too pink, too purple, too subtle or too unnatural... but this is IT. I'm kind of newer to the lip world and feel pretty clowny in actual lipstick. This translucent, light shade is noticeable but doesn't look overdone. Call the cops, this stuff's so good it should be illegal.
Pamela M.
Pamela M.
NEW WINDSOR, NY
March 22, 2016, 10:52 p.m.
Review for: Tender
I have been a Clinique fan ever since the early 90's beginning with the 3 step cleansing kits. The Black Honey has always been my go to lipstick for years so I was curious how the Tender Honey would look. I wasn't disappointed. It's gorgeous and is so sheer and light, you hardly notice you have anything on your lips. The color is so feminine but not girly or bright... it's just perfect, really. Day or night, it can change with your makeup look....it's totally versatile. I just wish, if I had to make any critique, that it lasted a bit longer but that's my only complaint is reapplication. I'd like to see this in a stain or lip pencil to make it last longer.
Brianna H.
Brianna H.
Hillsborough, NC
I got this in a Sephora Play box and I really like it. I have fair skin and I think this gives a nice wash of color. I received the color Black Honey which looks intimidating but its really not. Very hydrating. I swipe it on on light make-up days for just a little something. To be honest, I don't think I'd spend $17 on a tinted balm though. I just don't think it does enough or is special enough. I'm sure you could find (or make) a dupe for much cheaper, especially as blotted lipsticks become more popular.
Ari R.
Ari R.
I purchased this is Pink Honey. I'm always on the lookout for a nude pink lip and this one fit the bill. It is probably the perfect shade and opacity for me (I prefer sheer). My only quip is that I don't like the ultra skinny tube. I guess it has pros and cons, but I prefer a shorter, chubbier, normal-size lippy vs a long, skinny one. That's it tho. The only con for me. It is a beauty and if it wasn't $17 -- I'd buy multiple back ups -- but I have dupes that will suffice for now.
Shannon S.
Shannon S.
Canterbury, CT
I bought Clinique Almost Lipstick in shade Black Honey after repeatedly seeing it being called a "cult classic" on numerous beauty and magazine sites. I absolutely love it and will forever be a user!!! It goes on smoothly with buildable color, keeps lips feeling super soft and fades in a beautiful natural way! It isn't long lasting which for me is the only slight downside, but as I said, the fact that it fades naturally makes that completely unimportant to me.
Lia F.
Lia F.
Holy moly! Black Honey is my new staple lip product! Don't be fooled by the slightly sheer first coat - this bad boy is buildable, giving a naturally beautiful full lip. Not quite a lipstick, not quite a gloss, but somewhere in between. Imagine your favorite chapstick and favorite lipstick got together and had a baby! It's a little pricey, but worth the cash given how great your pout looks. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a natural looking lip product.
Mary S.
Mary S.
When I find something I absolutely love, I stick with it. Clinique's Almost Lipstick is at the stop of my must-have-stick-with-it list. It's light weight and versatile. Once I put it on, it doesn't feel like I'm wearing lipstick (extra love). Plus, you have a bit of play with the color. It can be a bit sheer with only one swipe across the lips or you can make it darker by applying more. Doesn't bleed or smear easily and lasts for several hours.
Tyreen S.
Tyreen S.
Sandy Springs, GA
Feb. 18, 2016, 9:23 a.m.
Review for: Black Honey
This product is true to it's name. It's like a hybrid between a lip balm, a lip gloss, and a lip stain. There is some pigmentation so I would not recommend wearing this while bare-faced. While it seems like it's going to be super dark, on my deep golden complexion I found this product to be like a nice tint of color. My skin tone really brings out the berry red of the color. I love to wear this when I want to wear more than just lip balm
Michelle C.
Michelle C.
I have been looking for new brands of lipsticks to try out. Do your lipsticks stay all day and are they matte?
Katelin T.
Katelin T.
Martinez, GA
Are these drying or do they have a lip balm kind of feel?
Shelbey J.
Shelbey J.
Edmond, OK
Is the color actually more nude or "natural" than the color of the stick itself let on to be?
Sophia S.
Sophia S.
Rockwall, TX
Is the lipstick pigmented????? Because it happens to me all the time that I buy a lipstick/lip gloss product and it just isn't pigmented enough.
Amanda P.
Amanda P.
Diamondhead, MS
I've heard so much about the black honey shade of this? Describe the consistency, please!