CatGenie  uploaded by Christina L.CatGenie  uploaded by Christina L.

BY CATGENIE

CatGenie
  • "im very aware of the odor my cats leave and im always cleaning the litter box after they use it, this seems like it'd help a lot" in 11 reviews
  • "There's definitely pros and cons to the CatGenie but I will never go back to a regular litter box again!" in 3 reviews
Monica S.
Pet Lover Expert Level 3
Nice product really great idea. A little pricey and it doesn't take all the work away, it helps to make it easier. Probably best if you have only one cat. If you can get a good deal on one then I would grab it.
Elizabeth H.
Clinton, MO
Pet Lover Expert Level 2
We love this product! Now, in it's original state we really enjoyed it but wish it had more options to choose how it cleans such as being able to just have it scoop during some cycles rather than always doing a full wash cycle. The pellets made for it are great! You can use other things, though it's  not recommended by the company. We ended up going back to using the pellets made for it since it did work a lot better than cheaper alternatives. The cleaning solution can be pricey and technically you can modify this to be able to allow you to use your own solution. If you modify it, it requires you to know some about circuit boards/tech stuff but by modding it, you gain the ability to change the cleaning program and we ended up even happier with it. The only downside we had was it occationally messing up but that was completely because of us modifying it. Even if you never modded it, I think it's a great product if you hate cleaning litter pans but keep in mind, you do occasionally have to clean it or replace certain parts (which they talk about in the manual). It's definitely worth the investment.
Aria K.
Austin, TX
I have mixed feelings about this one... 3 stars because I rarely have to mess with it and I haven't cleaned litter in years, down. Docking 2 stars because it's my 3rd one since 2009. They have a habit of breaking right out of warranty and I don't like the way the company works. Their "customer service" line had been more like a sales line to me. I got frustrated and bought my 3rd on Craigslist to save money and avoid buying a third in 7 years. They used to sell through Amazon and still do, but it's no longer available for Prime or Subscribe & Save. The cartridges aren't available locally and when they are out, this thing is completely out of commission. $25 a cartridge is steep, then again so is litter. The granules are all. over. my house. At least it's not litter. When it breaks down, cleaning/fixing it is the worst job ever. Way worse than litter. Melted cat poo water everywhere. Fortunately that's 1x a year at most. Where's a competitor?
Tonya B.
Neenah, WI
We owned one of the original Cat Genie machines. It was wonderful to take the litter task off our to-do list.

We have two cats. One of them took to it right away, but the other had to be coaxed over the course of months. It can be a bit noisy, especially to skittish cats. The trick for us was to time the cleaning for the time of day when they were both typically napping.

The smell of the cleanser was a bit over-powering... almost sickly-sweet... but they now offer an unscented option.

Our problem came when it eventually clogged up. We followed the directions to break it down, clean, and reassemble, but it never quite worked as well as it had. We retired it after two years of service.

We are looking to buy the latest model when finances allow.
Elizabeth E.
Spring Hill, FL
I've tried all kinds of automatic cat boxes, and I hated them. They were messy, they smelt, were disgusting to clean and too expensive. My husband brought me a CatGenie when I was pregnant with my last child and it was a god send. Really.

However... It was loud... huge - took/takes up most of the space under my bathroom counter. It was too large to fit in my laundry or next to our toilet.

Despite the cleaning liquid being scented, the entire bathroom would smell like cat poop when it was cleaning and it had issues with not drying the beads completely, so they would be sticky... then they would stick to the scoop and fall into the main hopper. Yes, not pleasant, because then the Catgenie wouldn't work and I'd have to manually clean it. Gross - it involved me pulling it to pieces to get all the little beads out by hand. Ugh.

That being said, I found it efficient, the cats didn't mind it and the cleaning liquid wasn't too expensive and lasted ages. Works best if you aren't in a hard water area either... I am sure that didn't help matters here either.
Carla W.
Apopka, FL
I have had a CatGenie for about 5 years..Will never have another regular litter box!! While the initial cost seems high, if you figure out how much you spend on litter and other supplies, it does save money in the long run. We have 3 cats and one CatGenie. I have it set on Cat Activation, so as soon as a cat uses it, it cleans itself. Took a little for the last kitten to get used to it, but they LOVE having an always clean box. I haven't touched litter in YEARS!! And there is NO SMELL! Some of the litter does get tracked, but you have that with any litter. I have had a couple of issues, but they were with the old model and Customer Service is great.
Kim U.
Orlando, FL
I got my cat genie a year ago. I mainly got it because I was pregnant and had 3 cats to clean up after. I LOVE it! It is bulky, but worth it. The scented cartridges make the house smell like urinal pucks and the poop horrible! Get the unscented ones. Buy extras of the wash and granules because shipping is pricey, you get the best deal if you stock up all at once if possible. If you have more than one cat you will go through more granules than usual..they get stuck to the fur of their feet and get tracked around the house. To solve that tho all you need to do is put a small rug or carpet in front of the box to catch what sticks to their feet. If you run low on granules the machine gets noisy, just refill/top off and all is good. We have the extra sides too..that helps cut down on loose granules too.
Melanie H.
Houma, LA
Pet Lover Expert Level 3
I've had this product for about 2 weeks now and it is amazing. My kitty took 2 days to finally use it and we've only had one accident since. Considering how picky she is, I'd say that is a success. Only drawback I've found is the litter granules get everywhere. Still, I'd rather sweep those up every day than scoop litter. I definitely recommend getting the dome with it, it'll help keep the litter contained somewhat. Also, an obvious tip - Put it in the quietest, lowest-traffic location possible in your home. I live in a one-bathroom rental with my family of 5 so the bathroom is rather busy but it's the only place to put the unit. I find she will hold it if we are in and out the room and wait about an hour after we've cleared out before she'll go in there. I've gotten to where if I notice she is pacing I'll make the kids wait and put the cat in the room so she can do her business.
Alisha G.
Manor , TX
I am so happy with my cat genie! The only thing is I have to sweep up what my cat kicks around because he is a little messy! It's super easy to clean and take care of! Love the cat genie!!!
Lisa A.
Davidson, NC
My husband and I thought this would be a great idea... Well we got it and hooked it up in our laundry room and it was functional. We have 2 cats. A male 5yrs old and a female 10 yrs old. Well our male did great with the transition. Our female would NOT use it! It was awful. What the gat genie does not tell you is that it is really loud when it flushes and this scared our female cat and she never made the transition... We are now using organic litter. Oh! And it leaked into our laundry room floor and the wood had to be replaced. DO NOT BUY!
Korie Y.
Is the Cat Genie worth buying?
Alexandria S.
Pet Lover Expert Level 4
Does it really delete the smell? Or coverit mostly??
Morgan M.
Chicago Ridge, IL
Havent tried. What are your thoughts? Do your cats like it?
Robyn W.
How loud is the Cat Genie?
Marie D.
WAUWATOSA
How well does this work?