BY CATALYST

Catalyst
  • "I read this book when I was a sophomore in high school, I'm now a junior in college, and still think of this book from time to time." in 2 reviews
  • "I had to read this book freshman year of high school and was shocked at how much I really enjoyed it!" in 2 reviews
  • "In other words, Kate's narration sounds a lot like Melinda even though they are completely different characters." in 1 review
  • "This is one of my favorite books from her." in 1 review
  • "It shows that everything is not always as it seems and not to judge others because you never know what they are going through." in 1 review
Kate M.
Denton, TX
The most underrated Laurie Halse Anderson book! I recently re-read this after first picking it up during my freshman year of high school, and I was shocked at how well it still read. This is a greatly crafted story that all Type A girls need to read!
Emma C.
I greatly admire Laurie Halse Anderson. She's a great writer and she never comes off as smug or pompous in her interviews at the back of her books. Even better, Anderson is a fresh voice.

That said, the voice here was not as fresh as it was in Speak. In other words, Kate's narration sounds a lot like Melinda even though they are completely different characters. That bothered me. I like that Anderson's prose is so snappy and often sarcastic, but it was weird having two disparate characters narrate in almost the same voice. Given the connection between these two books, I suppose comparisons are inevitable so I'll finish the thought: Melinda is a more likable narrator than Kate. That makes a difference.
Elianys G.
Not anywhere nearly as good as Speak. Kate, the science brain who is nevertheless too stupid (or too driven) to apply to any other college than MIT, doesn't get in (that's not a spoiler, it's the first twenty pages) and her life is turned upside down when her reverend father takes in Teri Litch, an outcast girl, and Teri's mother and young brother.
Noralee R.
fort worth, TX
I read this book when I was a sophomore in high school, I'm now a junior in college, and still think of this book from time to time. It's definitely one of those novels that really resonates with you if you connect to it.

The author was really able to take this idea of perfection, and mix it into this idea of complete disorder; two types of people colliding to make this "catalyst."

I suggest this book to people all of the time no matter age.
Kayla W.
Glassboro, NJ
Laurie Halse Anderson knows how to make a book that'll have you thinking and with a cast of characters that are very real, she can get through the messages that are present in her book without seeming overbearing. I think that this is a book that most people will enjoy. It's character oriented rather than focused on the action but there are some shocking scenes in this book that'll leave you on the edge of your seat!
Alexandra K.
Most come to this novel from the hit Speak (also a wonderful movie with a well cast Stewart) and will not be disappointed. The story is simple, but the thin layers add a complexity that grasps the reader. You might want to grab a buddy and read together, because you will want to talk about the book once you are done.
Kaitlyn S.
Omg this book will break you! I only read it once a lot ten years ago and it was so sad and honest. Laurie Halse Anderson is an incredible writer who writes the most broken characters.
Amanda L.
Minot, ND
Catalyst is not the best of Laurie Halse Anderson's work. That being said, it isn't terrible. The story is alright. Some of the characters you truly care about, having deep & dark problems. High school kids undecided about their futures are the most likely to connect with this book.
Gabriella G.
Homestead, FL
I had to read this book freshman year of high school and was shocked at how much I really enjoyed it! Good plot and characters. Always wanted to check out more books by this author.
Sara B.
Coeur D Alene, ID
I read this book in high school because I couldn't get enough of Speak by the same author. The main character of that book makes a bit of an appearance in this one, I believe towards the end, and it made me like this book even more.
Pamela D.
Meriden, CT
A good book?
Destiny V.
Is this a mystery novel?
Pamela D.
Meriden, CT
What is this book about?
Elianys G.
Do you think this book is good?
Elianys G.
Do you think this book is good?