Captain America: The First Avenger

by Joe Johnston

After being deemed unfit for military service, Steve Rogers volunteers for a top secret research project that turns him into Captain America, a superhero dedicated to defending America's ideals. Captain America leads the fight for freedom as the ultimate weapon against evil. When a terrifying force threatens everyone across the globe, the world's greatest soldier wages war on the evil HYDRA organization, led by the villainous Red Skull.

Who’s watching Avengers: End Game tonight?
Who are your top three favorite Avengers?
Start your review of Captain America: The First Avenger!
How would you rate this product?
Product Highlights
“This movie was really great even though it was probably my least favorite one out of the new marvel movies (even though I am wearing a Captain America shirt as I write this).” in reviews
“Great story line of him wanting to be a soldier and in the end, becomes a beacon of hope for America.” in reviews
“Captain America is so much better than any other super hero movie I've seen, because Steve Rodgers has strong moral principles and THAT is how he becomes a hero.” in reviews
Cheektowaga, NY
I love Cap, he is my favorite Avenger. I like the story that is told and the introduction to Captain America and his back story. I also love Buckey as just Buckey in this movie. The story of Cap and Buckey really sets up the entire story line of several Captain American and the Avengers movies and how Cap's story ends. Captain America forever!
Chicago
The Avengers..I've watched every movie and this one is one of my favorites. I've met Chris Evans and he is such an amazing human and an amazing actor. SO much action with an amazing cast!
Somerville, MA
I am the biggest comic nerd and I love this movie! I love almost all comic movies with a few exceptions but Captain America: The First Avenger is an amazing movie! Not only is the cast great but they really stayed true to the comic book plot line! I have to say if Chris Evans was not Captain America this movie would not be as amazing as it is! Chris Evans brings humor to the character and makes a more compelling story for the character. If you like comic book movies at all this is definitely a must see!
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
This film is a good introduction to the character of Captain America and his origin tale. Some might say that the beginning of the movie includes too much story with no enough action, to which I agree to an extent. However, all of the included back story is necessary to show where Steve Rogers came from and helps us as audience members understand him, as well as his desire to give his all for his country. This also shows why he's so hot about America, and without this back story, well, it just wouldn't make a whole lot of sense. We enjoy that Rogers is used as propaganda to sell military bonds for WWII and this is a good explanation for why he is called Captain America in the first place. It also sets up his need to go out on a limb and eventually prove his worth to his fellow soldiers and to fulfill his lifelong dream of fighting for his country, no matter how small he started out. Once the enhancement "takes," the a kicking really begins in the latter portion of the film, and we truly get to see what Steve Rogers and all of his new talents are capable of, proving self worth and all. "Captain America: The First Avenger" is also a good jumping off point for Hydra, or, "the bad guys," an organization which appears in many other Marvel films. Though this film is not as good as many of the other Marvel movies that came after it, it certainly serves as a good segue into "The Avengers" movie. It's hard to rate all of these individual character films on their own because they are such a small part of a much larger, interconnected and expansive universe. Chris Evans manages to give a good performance as both the meek and timid pre-enhancement Steve Rogers, as well as the yolked up superhero post-enhancement Captain America. It was a bit distracting that filmmakers decided to digitally place his face onto a skinnier man's body and pass it off as Chris Evans, but we understand why they did it since Chris Evans is a pretty big guy naturally. It was just sort of weird and almost looked like a floating head from time to time. Evans also makes the character compelling in this origin story, someone we want to root for, and this gives us a reason to keep on watching him. Hugo Weaving is awesome as Red Skull, and in typical Weaving fashion, plays a great bad guy. We would have liked to see him on screen a little bit longer, though. And of course, as a rare treat, Tommy Lee Jones makes an appearance as Tommy Lee Jones.
Albertville, AL
Once i started watching i couldn't stop to see how captain America came about was amazing to me it shows once you want something as bad as he did you go after to achieve it and he always used it for the greater good to protect america i will definitely watch it again and recommend it to my family and friends.
Peachtree Cty, GA
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
Having three kids there aren't many super heroes movies we haven't seen. This one has a lot of action without being too over the top gory or violent. Plus Captain America is just so patriotic and not bad to look at in his skintight suit. Makes it fun for moms too ;)
Hutto, TX
I live for Captain America to be honest. It has been a long time since I actually watched the movie completely. I watched this recently with my friends for our movie night and I was just filled with overall happiness. The storyline is great and the soundtrack is just a masterpiece.
Philadelphia, PA
I recently started to binge the Marvel movies with my husband. This has been my favorite thus far. The superhero backstory is compelling because it centers around a young man who has a heart of gold. I won't say too much because I don't want to ruin the movie. However, this movie had a strong plot line, all-star cast, and plenty of action to satisfy the adrenaline junkies. Highly recommend!
FL, FL
Me encanto la he visto varias veces y cada vez que la veo me emosiono como si fuera la primera vez, deja buena enseñanza porque este hombre es capaz de ayudar a un país entero con volverse tan importante como cualquier héroe de la historia americana. La recomiendo
Cranberry Twp, PA
I love this movie. It's such a good story line with such good actors and a great script. I love Chris Evans and think he's a phenomenal actor. It's a really great movie with lovable characters and lots of action. I definitely would recommend this movie.
Ask a question to the Influenster community...