Capcom USA Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Nintendo 3DS)

The popular fantasy action franchise monster hunter is now one of the most iconic gaming series in the world selling over 21 million copies worldwide since the series began in 2004. Players take on the role of a hunter and are sent to explore a settlement within the monster hunter universe, completing quests on their journey to seek and slay monsters whilst improving their skills and earning equipment upgrades. With many challenging monsters and over 200 quests the latest edition to the series is set to be the most expansive offering to date. Monster hunter 3 ultimate utilizes the functionalities of the nintendo 3-Ds system to provide... see more...

Vanna L.
Colorado Spgs, CO
Coming into the Monster Hunter game late, it was difficult to gauge which mechanics I would enjoy versus the mechanics I wouldn't enjoy. Especially since the fandom before I came in did not appreciate the swimming aspect, for instance. But since I've picked this game up, I have become obsessed with this series. When I picked this game up, Monster Hunter 4 had already come out, and everyone else was playing that one instead, giving me a few mixed signals about how good this game would be, telling me I may not enjoy the swimming portions or a certain weapon (long sword). The best advice I can give is to first of all, pick this game up.

Secondly, try out every weapon for a few hunts. Hunt a big monster at least three times with each weapon, and get a feel for which one you might enjoy more. The music is appropriate to say the least; it usually makes the hunting of a large monster exciting and like you're having a battle with a beast that would otherwise be unconquerable. But the music gets your adrenaline pumping! The weapons are unorthodox, but make the game super exciting due to their enormous size in tandem with the music, anyone looking for a thrill would love this game. The aesthetics are overall very nice and tropical usually, but sometimes can get a little boring. You wouldn't be looking at the scenery for long though, when a giant dragon comes down and you are forced to battle with this incredible force of nature.

Finally, constructing new weapons and armor from materials gathered from these behemoths is a fun experience, though it can get a little bit tedious. Overall, this game has a special place in my heart and I strongly urge anyone to pick up this game at least once.
Leandra P.
At first I found this game difficult to get into because of the lack of tutorial but after sinking more time into it I found it to be a blast. The lock on camera helps keep track of what you are fighting which would otherwise pose a difficulty due to the lack of a thumb stick. On the other hand the underwater combat sections of the game aren't as functional as they should be due to difficulty with the controls, weapons not functioning as well as outside of water & evading distances become shortened.
Leah S.
Great game but the camera is so much harder to use than that of the WiiU version. I really love it however and I like that I can play with my boyfriend using local multiplayer. I love how you can upgrade your weapons and that male and female characters are equally sexualized. One big yes from me.
Ashley H.
Marlette, MI
Fun game! Got this to play along with my husband but I didn't get very far before the next version came out. It is time consuming and I'm more of a JRPG person but there are combat elements as well as comedy and cuteness. It's fun to build the weapons and armor sets!
richard p.
Norfolk, VA
Great title and series to get into if you haven’t yet! great to play either solo or with friends....game has great scale and depth
Sierra A.
Edinboro, PA
I really enjoyed this game. Great challenge and very addictive. My only complaints were a lack of online play.
Heather W.
I enjoyed this game for a time, and the actual monster hunts are amazing. Very challenging and strategic.

But the biggest problem is how much time it takes to wear down a foe, and how sloggy the controls feel. I love games like dark souls, so slower,more meticulous combat is right up my alley,but monster hunter just feels too unresponsive. The lack of a real lock on function is really really outdated, having to tap the screen every time is a pain.

This game also requires hours of grinding items. The armor/weapons are very cool, but they take so long to get that the novelty wears off really fast.

Overall, if you liked monster hunter before, then you'd like this. But if you expect a modern-feeling game or a fast paced adventure, steer clear.