Canon PowerShot ELPH 300 HS uploaded by Anushka K.Canon PowerShot ELPH 300 HS uploaded by FLY  86761 Andrea E.

BY CANON #8 in Digital Cameras

Canon PowerShot ELPH 300 HS
  • "Small compact size, crystal clear pictures, easy to use, has a motion sensor to aid with great pictures, pictures print very clear. " in 11 reviews
  • "This camera takes great pictures, and there is only a short delay with the flash (unlike many of the competition's cameras)." in 11 reviews
  • "good for traveling durable and very good quality when taking pictures ,and it fits in a pocket or purse" in 10 reviews
  • "The only thing I don't like about it is the battery life -- if you are at an event taking a lot of photos, it may run out of battery life before the event is over. " in 9 reviews
  • "Canon makes some great point-and-shoot cameras, which is perfect for me because i like to take pictures and want high quality photos without having to shell out too much money. " in 7 reviews
Miranda V.
Techie Expert Level 3
I love love love this camera! The digital screen on it has a great display, it stays charged through numerous uses, and I never have trouble connecting it to my desktop or laptop computer like I used to with my old camera. Very simple to use and works wonderful!
Best camera I’ve owned!
Melody R.
Seattle, WA
Techie Expert Level 2
This was a good digital camera a decade ago. Now it's just overrated, outdated, and not worth the money. It's easy to figure out, even without reading the instructions, so it's user-friendly. The pictures I've taken with this camera (I've already owned two) can now be supassed by even low-end smart phone. They are small, light, and compact but, again, phones are smaller, lighter and even more compact. They do hold up well and seem to be well made. I would get something else if you're looking for photographic quality though.
Amanda R.
Otsego, MI
Techie Expert Level 3
I love my camera I need to actually use it more and take more pictures. I love to use the video recorder for recording the cute things my daughter does she wants to be a youtube star so we use my phone mostly but I really do need to use my camera more often. I even joined a local meet up were a few of us go around taking pictures with our camera at different nature parks.
Teresa N.
Silver Spgs, FL
Techie Expert Level 2
I really love this camera. It is small enough to easily fit in any pocket or purse. It is lightweight so easy to carry all day. It has a nice wrist strap that I use a lot. It takes great pictures if you or your subject are standing pretty still. For fast moving shots it can get blurry. It takes the photos pretty quick. It has several settings for different shots. It also takes pretty decent video with sound. The sounds is better if you are standing close.
Aliya L.
San Diego, CA
Image Quality:

I tested cameras and lenses all the time while managing the camera store so whenever I purchase a new camera or lens I always test it. The Canon 300 HS doesn't produce the quality of images my Nikon D7000 does but I didn't expect it to. The edges get a little soft with the 300 HS when looking at the image at 100% whereas the D7000 images are almost tact sharp.

Comparing the 300 HS to the Canon Powershot SD1000 from a few years ago, the 300 HS blows it out of the water. The SD1000 is a 7 MP camera. Shooting the same shots on a triPod with the same focal length on the lens the 300 HS uses its extra MPs well. When looking at the images from each camera at 100%, at the wide angle zoom setting and normal zoom setting both cameras have about the same relative slight softness on the edges. However the 300 HS has more MP so it actually produces much more detail in the image. I think it was smart for Canon to keep the MP at 12 because last years models while being 14 MP (SD1400) didn't give any extra detail from what I could tell than the 12 MP version (SD1300). The SD1400 was basically just creating larger files. When zooming in the telephoto setting the 300 HS clearly produced a sharper image than the SD1000. Often cameras have sweet spots in the zoom range in which it will produce crisper images. The 300 HS has consistently good sharpness throughout it's zoom range.

HS system and ISO:

The image processing with the HS system truly works to reduce noise at higher ISOs enabling people to produce better quality images in low light. The improvement in image quality gets more and more visible the greater and greater the ISO. ISO 400 with the 300 HS was almost as good as ISO 200 on the SD1000. ISO 800 on the 300 HS was a tad better than ISO 400 on the SD1000. ISO 1600 on the 300 HS was between ISO 400 and 800 on the SD1000. ISO 3200 on the 300 HS produced the same quality of image (noise) as ISO 800 on the SD1000. A 2 stop in film speed improvement is big.

1080p video and slow motion:

With good light, the 300 HS produces wonderful smooth 1080 videos. If you look at a lot of HD videos from compact cameras the video often looks jumpy. From what I've seen it wasn't until you got to the Canon G12 or Panasonic LX5 that the video looked smooth. Both of those cameras only shoot 720p whereas this camera shoots 1080p. The video also very good detail. It truly looks HD.

If you are wanting zoom and continuous AF with your video this camera is the one you want compared to the 100 HS which doesn't allow you to zoom. The continuous AF with face recognition is stellar with this camera in video mode. I was videoing my wife while she was driving. It focused on her face. I switched to the scenery outside. It immediately focused on that. I then went back to my wife and it found her face and focused on it right away. I even videoed her reflection in the rear view mirror and it found her face in the mirror no problem and focused on it. AMAZING!!!!

Commenting on a complaint I've read about the zoom being slow in video mode. If you like getting motion sickness whenever someone rapidly zooms in or out during their video this is not your camera. As smooth looking as the video is, the zoom is also. The smooth zoom creates nice looking transitions instead of warp speed ahead looks.

The slow motion is a fun feature that works well. You need to have good lighting though. In low light even with high ISO's it produced very dark videos. In a review someone commented that it should have sound with the slow motion video. I honestly don't know how that could work unless you want to listen to everything at 1/5 it's normal speed. I think it's a good thing that it doesn't have sound with the slow motion videos.

AF:

I commented on AF partially in the video portion of the review. It does have several AF modes for various situations. The face detection works great. If you have a person in the picture but want something other than the person to be in focus you will need to change AF modes from face detection. The reviewer that had the problem with the 300 HS focusing on things he didn't want the camera to focus on likely didn't have the correct AF mode for the shooting situations. The 300 HS does have a center AF if you prefer that.

Areas for Canon to improve on with the 300 HS:

The camera is so well thought out that I'm surprised Canon let this slip. I love having a wide angle zoom go down to 24mm. It's great for scenery and photojournalist type shots. If you shoot at the widest angle zoom and use the flash, the lens on the 300 HS blocks the flash's exposure on the bottom right corner of the image. The corner is completely black. If you zoom in a bit so you aren't at the widest angle setting when using the flash you will be fine. Still all Canon had to do is not put the flash so close to the lens.

When shooting video in lower light situations the video does start to get noisy and grainy quicker than some other cameras.

Conclusion:

All in all this is a wonderfully thought out camera with great image quality and image processing and it shoots stellar videos for it's compact size.
Rachel C.
Knoxville TN
Techie Expert Level 1
A nice little point and shoot camera for someone needing to take photos on a budget. I prefer DSLRs but Canon makes reliable products of all sizes. I would recommend this camera for someone who isn't looking for very professional quality photographs but moreso needs to save space. This camera will fit in any pocket
Angela T.
washington
If you're a youtuber and is just starting YouTube I would recommend these cameras because they are great for blogging and making videos to upload for public. They are really accessible, light, and pretty darn affordable compared to those super fancy cameras
Tanya B.
Marion, IN
Techie Expert Level 1
I got this for valentine's day and I get such good pictures from it. It has unbelievable zoom and definition. I'm just learning but it's already so simple to take a great photo. Amd getting the pictures from camera to storage on computer is simple
Lindsay H.
Omaha, NE
Techie Expert Level 1
I love how portable this is!! And it still takes great pictures! Definitely exceeded my expectations! Bought this at best buy. Definitely reliable, and you can trust it'll take great pictures. Just be sure to keep it safe!
Jasmine M.
I Love my camera! NOTE** I have the 320 HS**
Great Quality! Takes amazing photos! Love the different settings you can play with. I use it to film YouTube videos and I just Love it! This is a great vlogging camera. Easy to use! Great for Beginners! I paid about $250 plus tax.
Full Touch Screen, comes with a stylus on the strap. Its very lightweight so you can take it anywhere with you. You can upload photos and videos right onto facebook, youtube, and other sites. Great quality if you ask me!
The ONLY cons I have about it is the Very short battery life. I film videos and can usually only get in about 20-30 minutes. And anyone who films knows that's not a lot of time. I suggest buying an extra battery if you're a serious vlogger! I'm thinking of buying an extra battery because its just not enough of battery life. I give this a 'B' because of the short battery life otherwise I am completely happy with my camera!
Rebecca W.
Atlanta, GA
How is the battery life? How often does it need charging?
Nicole G.
Riverside, CA
Which color do you prefer
Lafeesha S.
San Antonio, TX
Has anyone else felt how hot this camera gets after filming for more then 10 mins.
Lacey N.
Jonesborough , TN
DO you use your camera for personal or professional use?
Kaitlyn H.
Mount Gay, WV
How good is the quality when taking a photo?