BY CANON #1 in Camera Lenses

This is the lightest EF lens of all at a mere 4.6 oz. . Compact and high-performance, standard lens. Its Gaussian optics provide sharp delineation from near to far focusing distances. The color balance is excellent for a standard lens. see more...

• I have a Canon and was wondering. Is this lens a good lens or is ...14 Answers
  • Does the lens have a metal mount or is it all plastic?5 Answers
  • What kind of pictures is this lens best for using?12 Answers
Audrey B.
My all-time favorite lens, hands down. Very versatile, and can be used in almost any situation! Not being able to zoom obviously has its downsides, but if you are good with a camera you can make it work! The 1.8 f-stop is one of the best parts, you can make the coolest shots! I would 100% recommend this to anyone with a camera, and would advise any new photographers to invest in this lens asap!
Sade J.
Alcolu
This is the cheapest lens I’ll brought with my canon rebel and it hadn’t disappointed me so far. It makes my pictures come out with good quality and has really good focusing on the subject. I’ll really recommend this lens for people who are beginner photographers or people who like taking portraits.
angel t.
I love this lense it shows really crisp and clear video/pictures it's really lightweight easy to use defiantly met my expectations, the only con for me is that if your shooting a video you have to move the camera far away from you if your using these lense became it would be way too close If you dont
Taylor N.
Sacramento, CA
Techie Expert
This is my go to lense! And also one of my least expensive lenses as well. If you are looking for a canon lense that blurs out your background perfectly and focuses on the subject this is amazing. I would highly recommend this as one of the first lenses someone would buy.
Kelsie D.
Grand Rapids, MI
This is a great lens to start off with instead of a kit lens. It's lightweight, but delivers great images. The construction is a bit cheap, but it does the job.  The price is great around $120ish. The low aperture is ideal for low light situations.
Mikayla H.
Techie Expert
I absolutely adore this lense. It makes the quality better and better each time I use it and take pictures of new things. I love the clarity and ability to capture high resolution and saturation. Highly recommend
Amber C.
clarksville
I really really love this lens. I found that I use this lens more then I do my other ones. It’s also super easy to use at least it is to me. One thing I love is how clear the focus is
Lindsay B.
Techie Expert
Essential to all photographers, this lens is a good one to bring for all occasions. Good for portraits and so much more! I love this lens, I dont go anywhere without it.
Holly L.
Eatontown, NJ
This was the first lens I purchased to use other than my kit lens. It's a no brainer at $100 and the quality it produces. The aperture is perfect for portraits, and more often than not, this is what is on my camera body (EOS SL1). Photos included are from a recent newborn shoot.
Rachel C.
Knoxville TN
Techie Expert
I've had my 50mm for a couple years now and I find myself using it most for portraits. It's the most cost efficient lens for the outcome. The bookeh is phenomenal for such a cheap lens. Would definitely recommend this to any photographer looking to get into taking portraits more regularly.
Kandra H.
I have a Canon and was wondering. Is this lens a good lens or is it one that don't make much of a difference with pictures?
Valerie P.
West Orange, NJ
What kind of pictures is this lens best for using?
Beatriz S.
Do you recommend this lens?
Alice K.
Seattle, WA
Does the lens have a metal mount or is it all plastic?
Julia E.
Madrid
Would you recommend this?