Bob's Red Mill Steel Cut Oats - 24oz

by Bob's Red Mill

Have you heard? Bob’s has the best oatmeal in the world! It’s true—our Steel Cut Oats took home the winning trophy at both the 2009 and 2016 Golden Spurtle World Porridge Making Championship in Carrbridge, Scotland and is now known as World Champion Oatmeal. It makes a delightful, full-bodied hot cereal with an appealing, chewy texture. Pick up a bag today and you’ve got some great breakfasts to enjoy.

Steel cut oatmeal is made from whole oat groats that have been cut into neat little pieces on a steel buhr mill. We use high-protein, whole grain oats that have been lightly toasted. Also known as Irish oats or pinhead oats, steel cut oats have a firmer “bite” than traditional rolled oats, and can also be used in savory dishes like risotto.

Steel cut oats may be trendy now, but they’ve always been a customer favorite at the mill. Stir up a bowl and you’ll see why: they’re easy to make, can be flavored any way you like, and they have a distinctive texture that wins over even non-oatmeal eaters (can you believe they even exist?).

Oats are also incredibly nutritious—they’re a good source of fiber and protein and low in saturated fat. Steel cut oats make an especially filling breakfast and a great start to your day. Just don’t forget to set aside 10-20 minutes to cook it!

While it takes a little time, cooking steel cut oats couldn’t be easier. In fact, our award-winning steel cut oats recipe is right on the package: just oats, water and salt. However, we don’t mind if you want to add a little brown sugar, non-dairy milk or coconut oil for a little variety. Steel cut oats can also be used to make overnight oats, risotto, pilaf, dumplings, arancini and more! Browse our extensive collection of recipes using our steel cut oats by clicking the “Recipes” tab and you’re on your way.

What is the difference between steel cut oats and regular oats?
Do You have to precook these I order to bake with them? I've eaten it like oatmeal but what about in cookies?
Are these mushy when fully cooked? Is it really better than traditional oatmeal? Any yummy recipes/tips? Thanks!
Start your review of Bob's Red Mill Steel Cut Oats - 24oz!
How would you rate this product?
Gina C.
Matawan, NJ
Healthy alternative to other brands out there. Pure ingredients and all bobs red products never fail
Johannah K.
Harlan, KY
Bold and robust flavor. Very good in nutty flavor.Super tasteful with pleasant texture. Good firm oats. Pairs nicely with fresh fruit, honey, and milk! Very pleased!
Shawna S.
Fair Oaks, TX
I use this for my overnight oatmeal. I love the flavor and the chunkiness of the oats not to mention it’s very very filling! This is real oatmeal.
Katherine S.
I love these oats. I use them to make Mason jars of overnight oats in the beginning of the week and they taste so great every morning. This is a brand I can't get enough of.
Liza S.
Myrtle Beach, SC
These are the best steel cut oats. I make a big batch on Sunday and eat them for breakfast throughout the week. Chop up an apple, throw in some cinnamon and walnuts. BOOM! Healthy breakfast or snack. Yes, I eat Oats for a late night snack sometimes. They are tender, slightly chewy and delicious.
Erica J.
Hockley, TX
Such a healthy alternative to prepackaged oatmeal. Awesome taste and totally worth the price. I love it.
Marci B.
Marshall, NC
If you like regular Oatmeal, you'll LOVE Bob's. It's the same as regular oatmeal except smaller pieces. I think it tastes even better than regular oatmeal. I use the Organic version of Bob's but there are times when my local grocer is out of them. When that happens I grab a bag of THIS till they get my oats in, l do enjoy this version. I like the fact that they stay away from GMO's. I think that whether you're buying regular or organic, both are free of GMO's, altho I am NOT 100% sure on that so you should prob assume it's not..Regardless, I am always pleased when I open a bag of Bob's!
Tera B.
Kennewick, WA
If Bob's has it I want it. love these oats. quality products every time. affordable prices too
Dawn N.
Indianapolis, IN
I love steel cut oats. they have more 'bite' to them, and i just add dried fruit or nuts and can eat them without a sweetener. If i do add anything, it would be brown sugar. But me and my 1 year old love it plain
Brittany B.
Atlanta, GA
Great quality. I usually mix this cereal in with regular oatmeal to offset the texture and add blueberries