Bob's Red Mill Golden Masa Harina Corn Flour

by Bob's Red Mill

Masa Harina is a flavorful flour made from nixtamalized corn (corn soaked in limewater). It is a must-have ingredient for traditional, homemade corn tortillas and tamales.

Masa, the Spanish word for "dough," is the traditional dough used to make corn tortillas. It is made with hominy, or dried corn kernels that have been cooked and soaked in lime water, which is ground into masa. Masa harina is flour made from dried masa. The nixtamalization process (soaking in lime water) was developed in Mesoamerica thousands of years ago. It loosens the hulls from the kernel and softens the corn for grinding by breaking down the glue-like component called hemicellulose. This process also changes the structure of the corn, freeing the nutritionally rich niacin so that it can be easily absorbed into the digestive track. In addition, calcium is gained from the lime used as an alkali. The nixtamalization process also balances the amino acids, accessing more usable protein from the corn. Masa harina is most commonly used to make tortillas, but it is also featured in other delicious dishes including tamales, pupusas, and arepas.

What do you use this for?
Start your review of Bob's Red Mill Golden Masa Harina Corn Flour!
How would you rate this product?
crystal J.
2,242 reviews
Great product ok price organic so its worth the money often there are sales or coupons to make them more chepaer
sarah C.
Grants Pass, OR
I got a 20 lb bag of this and it is so fresh and delicious. I use it for tortillas or a substitute for corn meal. It is easy to work with and makes beautiful dough.
Lucy K.
San Diego, CA
Good for making some tasty tortillas. I've also sprinkled it on homemade pizzas and salads.
Mikael W.
Belen, NM
This is perfect for making the masa when I'm making tamales. It turns out perfect every time
Angela E.
Use this to make homemade tortillas. The flavor is out of this world. Amazing corn taste. Makes great chips, too.
Veronica A.
N Chelmsford, MA
Great for making tortillas or corn fritters. I make one or the other pretty much every Sunday and this brand is my go to. It's my grandma's favorite too!
Sandra R.
Great corn flour! I use it to make my very own tortillas and bread. They turn out to be extremely tasty and nutritious! I like the fact that you find it at any grocery store at an affordable price.