BY BLUE APRON #2 in Meal & Beverage Delivery Services

Blue Apron makes cooking fun and easy. We'll provide you with all the ingredients that you need to make a delicious meal in exactly the right proportions.

• Has anyone tried this service? Is it a good service to use?1 Answers
  • Is Blue Apron good for someone who isn't a big time cooker? 1 Answers
  • I love to workout and enjoy going to the gym, but apparently what y...1 Answers
Tracy K.
Tracy K.
Foodie Expert
We chose the couple plan for our family of 4 just to try different foods. Most of the time we have plenty for us all to have a full meal or a generous sample even though it says its for 2 people. You tell them your preferences and if you have allergies. You are pre-selected 3 items but can change them if you want with other options. Everything is included in your refrigerated and sealed box except for oil and salt/pepper. If you need milk, its in there. You need 2 TBSP of butter, it's in there. Your food will keep all day so you don't have to be home when it arrives. Items are sourced locally and can be found at your local grocery store as well should you decide to make it on your own in the future. It comes with an easy to read instruction step-by-step guide plus has on-line video's with extra tips. I have never worked with Ginger before and it included instructions on how to mince it in a video. The first couple times it seemed like a lot of steps but its a pattern they repeat. It goes much faster with each kit as you get used to it. 95% of the meals have been delicious and I would make them again. If they have something they spicey, they warn you to add to your taste buds so you can try a little to see how you like it. It's been exciting trying foods I never would have before like Kale or Butternut Squash. On the weeks you are too busy, you can choose to skip that week. Over the summer I generally skip quite a few cause we aren't home much.
Jessica A.
Jessica A.
Foodie Expert
I tried Blue Apron for one week for my blog, but was hoping that I would like it so much that I would decide to continue to use it. Unfortunately, I decided to cancel my subscription. I enjoyed that my food was shipped FedEx. Everything arrived on time and was cold. The price was great compared to other companies, and the recipes were easy to follow, but that is where the positives mostly stop for me. The portion sizes were way too small for my family and a lot of the recipes did not include a true "side dish". You would either use an ingredient twice to act as a side dish (i.e. radishes sent for a sandwich would also act as a side salad) or there would be no side dish at all. The first recipe I tried was pretty yummy, but the other too were just okay. I didn't think it was worth the money for just mediocre recipes and small portions. I LOVED not having to grocery shop as much and the convenience of not having to hunt for recipes or come up with a meal plan for the week, but I think there are better companies out there for meal kit deliveries.
riz z.
riz z.
Flushing, NY
Foodie Expert
The kit contained all the ingredients needed to cook three meals, each feeding 2 people, complete with recipes with step-by-step photos. Blue Apron also offers plans to feed 4 and 6 people, as well as a choice between the meat and fish or vegetarian meal plans. Delivery times range daily from 8am to 8pm and 6pm to 8pm, which suited my work schedule the best.

Blue Apron posts the following week's menu on the site a week in advance so I had the opportunity to make sure the menu looked appealing before ordering. My week's dishes included ginger beef stir fry, turkey chili, and salmon with fennel and cauliflower steak.

My meals came neatly packaged in a cardboard box lined with ice packs to keep the contents fresh for a few hours. I arrived home at 6pm to find my box had already been delivered, but the ice packs kept everything cool. Also, the steak and chicken in my pack were vacuum sealed, which meant I had an extra week or two to use them, which helped as last minute plans came up and I had to push one of the dishes to the following week.
Jenna D.
Jenna D.
New Rochelle, NY
I was blown away by this subscription. I got a few meals (2 weeks) and was expecting to be bored with the meals since I cook so often for myself. However, I found the recipes were interesting, the produce was of good quality, and most of the servings were of a good size (once or twice I wanted more of the side, but probably only because they were so good). I also once skipped a meal around Thanksgiving, but was sent the meal anyway due to an error, and the customer service team refunded me and made me feel valued as a customer. I now usually get the service once a month or so, because of the holidays and large meals I cook now. I'm knocking off a star because 1) the subscription is a little expensive, making it infeasible for me to use weekly as intended- it's more of an indulence 2) I get very annoyed that I can't choose the meals I really want. Whenever I want to switch up the menu, half the options aren't available if I choose half of the other options. No rhyme or reason I can think of.
Emily A.
Emily A.
Mogadore, OH
Foodie Expert
I got sent a free box of 3 family - of - two sized meals to try by my generous managers at work who love Blue Apron. I loved it as well! I unfortunately cannot afford to subscribe but it was such a fun experience and helped me brush up on my nonexistent cooking skills. My favorite part about it is that absolutely everything is included for each exquisite recipe - the high quality meats (barramundi (fish), chicken breasts and steaks), every spice, vegetable, even honey and butter and it is all fresh and locally sourced. It all arrived in special ice packs and insulated packaging so it would stay cold if you are unable to get to it immediately, even though the website allows you to customise your delivery schedule. I wouldn't necessarily say these recipes are easy. I found it required quite a bit of multitasking/planning ahead which takes practice to master if you are a beginner, however the colorful instructions are very descriptive and helpful.
Danielle E.
Danielle E.
Arvada, CO
It took me a bit to get comfortable with this service! I'm not someone that likes to follow recipes word for word, so this was a bit weird for me. As Ive come to be more comfortable, I now tend to use all the ingredients they deliver, but I may not make the recipes they provide. I don't think the seasonings they provide are quite enough for me, so I tend to use my own, Regardless, they continually deliver exceptional products with each delivery...ususally of better quality than I can find at my local grocery store. Its really convenient too when I have guests to cook for and I need a mindless prep or an idea for what to make without having to plan for it. Id say the price is completely reasonable for the awesome quality they provide. Ill continue to use this service from time to time, even if its not every single week. The packaging is superior as well, I might add, my box can sit out for a day or so without anything going bad inside!
Melissa B.
Melissa B.
Staten Island, NY
I can't say enough good things about Blue Apron. My son, who is 8 years old, loves to cook and strives to be a chef when he grows up. We subscribe to Blue Apron, and not only has he learned new cooking techniques, but his palate has expanded and he's discovered a new love for many types of cuisines. He is certainly not your average chicken nuggets and hot dogs 8 year old! The price is really fair for what you get, and it's nice to know that if you only need 1/2 cup of sour cream, you don't have to buy a pint and waste the rest. Very cost effective. The best part is that you receive a recipe card, which we put into a big binder, so you can go back and make your favorite recipes over and over again. They also send you an additional card that teaches you about one of the ingredients or techniques from that week's delivery. We are big fans of Blue Apron!!
Michelle M.
Michelle M.
Tampa , FL
Foodie Expert
My husband and I subscribed to Blue Apron for about 3 months. I loved receiving new recipes each week and it was nice that all of the ingredients were portioned out for each recipe. I also loved that there was no obligation to commit to a certain amount of meals. If we were going out of town we could just put our subscription on hold.

I was in a bit of a rut of what to cook for dinner so it was nice to try out so many great new recipes. My husband also sang my praises every time I cooked an incredible new meal. He even bought me a binder so I could store all of our favorite Blue Apron recipes.

Eventually I cancelled our subscription because the meals were becoming too similar and a lot of the meals were high in carbs. I wish there was a low-carb version of Blue Apron.
Kimberly S.
Kimberly S.
Kenner, LA
I was a little worried about getting fresh ingredients delivered to my home but I was pleasantly surprised. I am really happy with BLue Apron overall. I have tried 3 of their meals- Cod Tacos, Greek Pizza and Spring Chicken Fettuccine. All 3 recipes were very easy to make and it was all delicious. The ingredients were all super fresh and I couldn't have been happier. I had another box come in and FedEx was unable to deliver it on time. I reached out to Blue Apron because the meat was now spoiled and they issued me a full refund. That is going above and beyond! I'm now waiting on my 3rd box and I'm so excited. I also like that the recipes featured are things I would never think to cook at home so I feel adventurous.
Misty P.
Misty P.
Cooper, TX
I did the free trial not just to try it but also to review it. I received my free trial and I was so excited and everything looked Amazing. Out of the three meals we were only able to try 2 of them since there was a busted melted ice pack and the contents were all over the meat packaged (not a big deal i thought until I realized that the Pork was open at one end and the juices of that had also went everywhere). So because of the package of meat that we had to throw out I did pause my subscription were are debating on if we should give them another chance or just cancel it. I just don't want to pay that much and have something like this happen again. I am undecided on if I will recommend Blue Apron or not.
Nikki S.
Nikki S.
Harrison Twp, MI
I've heard mixed reviews on blue Apron. I know some people who love it and others who have been disappointed because they have gotten rotten or moldy foods. Had anyone had any issues?
B S.
B S.
West Palm Bch, FL
Just how good is Blue Apron? Are the items fresh and not some artificial tasting ingredients.
Teresa W.
Teresa W.
Des Moines, IA
How healthy are these meals?
Maranda C.
Maranda C.
Foodie Expert
How can I get a free trial? Plz help would love to try it before I buy it!
Stephanie S.
Stephanie S.
Foodie Expert
How beneficial is this for a family of 2? Are the ingredients & recipes more directed to larger family sizes or do they tailor to specific family size? I would love to try something like this but am afraid of massive amounts of leftovers or having to plan it for when more people will be joining for dinner!