Add a Photo

By GABRIELA COWPERTHWAITE
#224 in Movies

Killer whales are beloved, majestic, friendly giants, yet infamous for their capacity to kill viciously. Blackfish unravels the complexities of this dichotomy, employing the story of the notorious performing whale Tilikum, who — unlike any orca in the wild — has taken the lives of several people while in captivity. Blackfish expands on the discussion of keeping such intelligent creatures in captivity.

Photo (1)
Aashma S.
Aashma S.
Wilmington, DE

Everyone should see this movie to learn the truth about orcas in captivity. It's a terrifying, heartbreaking, well-constructed argument and the images and interviews will haunt you. I can't wait until an equivalent documentary is done about other forms of animal captivity like circuses and zoos, etc.
Lexi G.
Lexi G.
Conway, SC

Everyone should watch this documentary! Its so informative and it pulls you right in. Amazing to see what they do behind closed doors. I'm a marine biology major and to me this is the most important thing for everyone to watch. Every marine biology major must see this! It is very sad to watch so just be prepared! It is sad but so informative and so very interesting.
Julia C.
Julia C.
Ridgefield Park, NJ

I an animal lover all the way from cats and dogs to bats and snakes. I work hands on with exotic animals at a wildlife center. When I found this documentary I was really impressed and astonished about how much I didn't know. Overall this was a very informative movie that caught my attention right off the bat. I strongly recommend this documentary to everyone!
Vanessa E.
Vanessa E.
Lemoore, CA

This is a powerful documentary. If you plan to watch this make sure you also plan on a box of tissues. The treatment of these beautiful animals at Sea World is sickening. Sea World and similar aquarium attractions need to be SHUT down,
brenda a.
brenda a.

My oldest son loves this kind of documental and anything related to the sea so we tend to watch this shows and try to do the best that we can to protect animals.
Teresa B.
Teresa B.
Victoria, BC

Amazing film. It shows how awful the captivity industry is. Your heart will be ripped out a few times while watching. These animals are so amazing, it is so tragic how they are kept in prison for the entertainment of humans. Watch this film to stand up for the rights of all animals.
Maluhia K.
Maluhia K.
Silver Spring, MD

I was absolutely HORRIFIED and thoroughly disgusted when I watched this. I vowed to never go to Sea World or any of their affiliated parks after watching how poorly treated these animals are. Waht brought me to tears was the scene where they show you how they capture wild Orcas for the parks.
Holly B.
Holly B.
Richardson, TX

This amazing documentary opened my eyes to the animal abuse taking place in these live shows. Seeing how the orcas are treated broke my heart. After seeing wild orcas in Alaska, I could never go to another sea world or the like.
Lesa T.
Lesa T.

Okay I had to watching this for my writing class in college and well it sure opened my eyes. This is definitely a good documentary to watch if you want to know about the behind the screens abuse orcas go through.
Aimee M.
Aimee M.
Daytona Beach, FL

I enjoyed the movie because of all the old footage you got to see and the story behind how they got the orca's originally. I do how ever think everyone watching this documentary do research afterward on the people in this film because a lot of them have said that their stories and words were twisted among other things they found wrong with the film.
Krista c.
Krista c.
Philadelphia, PA

Anyone else hear that parts of this were fabricated? If so, what parts?

Join Now