Add a Photo

By GABRIELA COWPERTHWAITE
#238 in Movies

Killer whales are beloved, majestic, friendly giants, yet infamous for their capacity to kill viciously. Blackfish unravels the complexities of this dichotomy, employing the story of the notorious performing whale Tilikum, who — unlike any orca in the wild — has taken the lives of several people while in captivity. Blackfish expands on the discussion of keeping such intelligent creatures in captivity.

Photo (1)
Stephanie G.
Stephanie G.

It's so hard to review this movie. All that they do is bash SeaWorld, yet it is called a documentary. No. It is all one-sided. SeaWorld doesn't do a lot of things that they did back in the day, yet Blackfish made it seem like they still do. It was sad to see whales put through some of the stuff in the movie, but it didn't make me never want to go to SeaWorld again.
Jaclyn A.
Jaclyn A.
Palo Alto, CA

I think it's really important to measure our impact on the environment is such an honest way. It's hard for me to watch movies like this because I can't go on living the same way and that's what makes this movie so good. We have got to do more to affect change.
Meza A.
Meza A.
Winter Park, FL

Seaworld is a great learning experience and so much fun. I have gone many times. But I just don't understand why they can't continue with there park but with out the massive intelligent emotional animals in tanks! They need to FREE THE WHALES AND DOLPHINS. ORCAS DON'T HAVE ANY PREDATORS AND MY OCEANOGRAPHER PROFESSOR SAID THEY WOULD SURVIVE JUST FINE. Very eye opening documentary, some critics say its 'propaganda' and some seaworld employees regret being in it and say there words were twisted around. BUT IT DOESNT MATTER BECAUSE either way the whales are suffering. Wild orcas MIGRATE and swim tons of miles a day, and they simply can not be happy and healthy in a tank!
This movie brings you inside the world of seaworld's orca whales. You truly feel bad for these giant Whales who are trapped inside small cages. It is an amazing movie and you learn a lot from watching it! I watched it for free on netflix. Highly recommend.
Christine L.
Christine L.
Catonsville, MD

It completely opens your eyes to what Sea World really is. The way they used Tilikum as a sperm donor is sickening. What really made me cry was when they separated moms from their babies. When is that ever alright?! A definitely must watch if you like to be informed.
Emily  M.
Emily M.
Canandaigua, NY

Loved it! so informational, cried multiple times watching it. But was an amazing documentary.
Danielle W.
Danielle W.
Los Angeles, CA

So in love with this documentary and I just feel so educated! I will not ever be returning to sea world after watching them steal babies from their parents in the wild. its beyond and cruel and sad to think how they really live when we arn't looking.
Jessica K.
Jessica K.
Rocky Mount, NC

I thought this was a great documentary. It was very informative, and it did not bash Seaworld. It provided factual information from prior employees and marine biologists.
Marisa J.
Marisa J.

I really liked this documentary. It was hard to watch but it really gave me a new perspective of the way things are handled at SeaWorld. It really opened my eyes.
Ashley M.
Ashley M.
Columbia, MD

This is giving the perspective of people who don't know about seaworld. You do feel for everyone but the opinion is for you to make. Definitely an eye opener if you know how this company really operates.
Krista c.
Krista c.
Philadelphia, PA

Anyone else hear that parts of this were fabricated? If so, what parts?