Add a Photo

By BIRCHBOX
#33 in Subscription Boxes

Join Birchbox to get a monthly delivery of beauty samples that are personalized to you.

Try a variety of products and discover new favorites!

Photos (64)
Vandana K.
Vandana K.

At first I loved the concept of birchbox.  That was in 2012.  Now, 5 years later, I have found myself suscribing and unsuscribing from their subscription box.  Some months you will get great deluxe samples and then for a few months you will get duds or just really small things you will never use (i have way too many shampoo and conditioner packs...so much that I just give them to my friends and family any opportunity I can!).  Other reviewers have stated how they did away with their points program, which definitely is a negative!  I wish they still had it!  Another way to currently get points if form actually buying from their store.  Usually the items are all full price and dont seem worth it, but I have been lucky enough to at least find some great sales (30% off original price), some pretty cool discovery boxes (a combo of products under a given theme- like a korean skin care kit they make with a few different products worth trying).  Whats good is you can also add promo codes on top of this.  Also, you can add a gift with purchase sometimes.  The issue I have with birchbox is if you make a return, the GWP also must be sent back or you will be charged.  Other beauty retailers I have purchased from (both online and instore) are very generous and tell you to keep them.  Come on Birchbox!  Get with the program!Aside from products and offerings, the website is pretty easy to use, and there are tons of review for items which can be helpful.  Their customer service aka "Discovery Specialists" have been very responsive and helpful overall.  Additionally, for online orders they do cover the shipping costs, which is an added bonus but I believe more and more stores are offering this service as well. Overall, I will not say birchbox is the best, BUT it is still worth trying or checking in every once in a while.  Always look online for a promo code before you buy anything!  Usually those are what make me decide whether to make a purchase from here or somewhere else!
Helena T.
Helena T.
Longmeadow, MA

Birthbox used to be amazing, especially with their points program. You received 1 point for every dollar spent and you could receive 5 points or 10 points per each item that you reviewed in your monthly box. Well, Thank goodness I used my points because they did away with the points being given out for reviewing the products we receive each month. I just made the deadline. The profile I completed showed exactly what I wanted to receive each month. I expected that a lot of the time, I'd also be getting some things that didn't comply with my profile. Well, lately (the past 5 months) I've gotten primarily hair products. I had removed anything related to hair from my personal profile, yet I kept on receiving hair products -for a type of hair that I do not have. My hair is the color black and the texture oily/fine/thin but I KEEP GETTING PRODUCTS FOR DRY/DAMAGED HAIR -THAT I DON'T HAVE. I did an experiment and switched my hair color from black to blonde and suddenly I am getting hair products again, only this time it's sprays for beach styles. So...blondes receive beach salt sprays and brunettes receive products for dry and damaged hair?
Christine N.
Christine N.

With Birchbox I really got the sense I was buying samples that I otherwise should be getting for free especially since they were randomly thrown together for me. It felt like I was receiving a marketing or PR package they had put together rather than something I had actually paid for.

Birchbox isn't as committed to the subscription box model as much as they are to trying to get you to buy the full-size products from their store and I really subscribe to subscription boxes for the novelty and fun factor and for the shared experience I'm realizing.

I noticed Birchbox is more haircare and skincare focused than many of the other beauty boxes out there which was a nice change of pace, but also not really what I am looking to sample which is mainly makeup.

One thing Birchbox had going for it is it feels very corporate and stable. Like they have a built up customer service department since they are larger and more established and it is super easy to cancel their service online. Their flexibility is the best thing they have going for them.
Kla B.
Kla B.
Bardstown, KY

I have been recieving birchbox for 3 months. The first month was pretty good, the 2nd month was ok (and thats me being nice), the 3rd month it has gotten even worse. They have you feel out a beauty quiz so that they can see which samples suit you best. In my honest opinion they don't pay any more attention to those quiz's than the man in the moon. I subscribed to this box because I wanted to try new make up, but all I keep getting from them is skin care and hair care products. I have redone my quiz and even gave terrible reviews on the items I have recieved hoping that they would change and would follow my beauty profile more closely, but here it is month number 3 and it just seems that it has gotten worse. I am giving birchbox one more month and then I am canceling it, if it doesn't get any better. I am really disappointed by birchbox and I had hoped that it would be better by now. I will more than likely cancel after this month. To much stuff I won't use.
Kimberly M.
Kimberly M.
Greenville, SC

Not my favourite! I was subscribed for a few months about a year and a half ago. I unsubbed because I thought their samples were really small and not worth it. I remember one month they sent me a small eyeshadow palette and it came broken. I told the customer service, probably the one good thing about birchbox, and they sent me another. Guess what! That one came broken too! Right when I unsubbed I switched to ipsy! So I've been subscribed to them for almost 2 years now. I saw an ad campaign for birchbox 3 weeks ago, that if you buy a box they'll give you a second free! So I tried to give them a second chance. My boxes came and the samples... ugh. They're so small it's not worth it! Plus in the two boxes I received two of the same item in different shades; and it was Cc cream. One in light/medium and one in medium/dark. You'd think they'd notice since the boxes were shipped together. Anyway I won't resub again.
Kary C.
Kary C.

Not too happy with them taking points away for reviews but I'll keep it til December then cancelling it I will say this months box is 1st one I can use everything! They did say they're stepping up on our profiles but samples too small and empty at times lol but looks like they're trying to make up for screwing us loyal customers over with no points which were awesome cuz u could buy anything with your points got some cool freebies but not happy they did that no warning meantime if u buy something on site u get 1pt per $1 I got 5pts monthly for reviews only... yet I spend $10/mo and get zero points... We'll see but I know several that cancelled cuz of that I thought I cancelled but didn't so I'll give em til December... If they still did points they'd get a better review! Pictured with this is last month that milk sample was a waste of plastic literally half inch of product! This is what I mean... Just sayin
Cynthia M.
Cynthia M.
Medford

I really enjoy getting my Birchbox. However, when I first signed up I thought I would receive more make up. That was the main reason I signed up because I don't have much money to spend on makeup but it's my obsession! I have gotten 5 boxes now and only received 3 makeup samples. :( it's geared more towards hair and skin care. Don't get me wrong, I love those products as well and I've gotten some awesome stuff! My favorite so far has been a Milk cheek and lip cream in shade Perk and Protect & Detangle by Beauty Protector (leave in conditioner). I still have not used a lot of the products I have received. :/ I've gotten 3 perfume samples which I LOVE!! Lavanilla and Tokyomilk and Escadia! They all smell amazing! Overall I think $10 is a great price to get samples of expensive products to try!
Jessicca S.
Jessicca S.
Durant, OK

I love Birchbox and highly suggest it to anyone who would like to try out the latest and greatest in hair, skin, and makeup without breaking the bank. Birchbox is a subscription box that only costs $10 a month, they will send you 5 products (the sizes range from sample and deluxe to full size products) that are catered to your needs via your beauty profile that you set up when you sign up with them. Their customer service also known as Discovery Specialists are top notch, they are always helpful in addressing any questions or problems you may have and work with their clients to find the best solution for them. If you've ever considered signing up with them I would say go for it, you won't be disappointed.
Samantha G.
Samantha G.
Joliet, IL

Birchbox was the first subscription box that I had signed up for and it's still my favorite! I love how unique and creative this box is. You never know what your gonna get. I have gotten to test out so many different makeup and skin care items that I was on the fence to buy. I have found so many new favorite products from brands I didn't know existed til birchbox. I like how different it is I get make up, skin care, snakcks, household items, and fashion all in one box. The rewards program for purchases is pretty sweet you get a point for every dollar you spend and every 100 points is $10 to spend and you can also earn points on giving reviews on the products you receive
Leslie B.
Leslie B.
Owasso, OK

I really wanted to love birchbox, it's so cheap, but I've had a subscription for over a year now and I've yet to be happy with that be box yet! Yes it's cheap, but for the exact same price Ipsy is SO MUCH better and you can customize your bag to your likes, wants and even color choices as long as you fill out your profile. I've had numerous broken items with birchbox and their way to correct it is points in their store to which I have to SPEND money to get the item that was destroyed, I've just not been impressed! I would not recommend this beauty box subscription even though it's cheap, there are MUCH BETTER options!
Asia W.
Asia W.

I subscribed to Birchbox for a couple years straight. I cancelled once the points system ended and the samples were getting smaller. What's your favorite subscription box?
Kali G.
Kali G.
Peabody, MA

I just switched from ipsy to Birchbox. Has anyone had both and which one did you prefer? Is there a better monthly subscription box around the same $10/month?
Viola D.
Viola D.
Holden, MA

I've been thinking about joining but is it worth it? I don't want to sign up and regret it
Crystal R.
Crystal R.
Immokalee, FL

So I am currently subscribed to ipsy and Sephora play ! And Ive been dying to try out the birchbox but I keep on receiving mixed reviews on it and I'm not to sure if I'm convinced on it. Can someone please give me their honest opinion on it? Is it worth my money? Or is there something better I haven't heard about that I should try?
Rachael C.
Rachael C.
Willis, TX

What is the thing about Birchbox that makes you choose them over other sub boxes?