Add a Photo

#79 in Eyeliner
They're Real! Push-Up Eye Liner - It's the first ever lash-hugging gel eye liner in a pen! This matte gel formula won't smudge, budge or dry out, and the innovative soft AccuFlex Tip hugs your lashline from corner to corner. The closer the line, the bigger the eye! 91% said it was longwearing* 81% said it was waterproof* 88% said it hugged the lashline* 84% said eyes looked visibly larger*   *Results observed in a consumer panel survey on 32 women after 2 weeks How to: How to In Green: - They're Real! Push-Up Eye Liner
Photos (115)
Adriannie N.
Adriannie N.

Despite the bad ratings, I actually enjoyed this product.
For reference, I have eyelids that are slightly oily and prone to creasing. My eyes get quite watery at times, and I have a bad habit of rubbing them.

I have this eyeliner in the color Beyond Brown. From what I've heard, they've reformulated it from the old black liner so that it would be more creamy and easy to use.

Packaging-wise, I find it convenient to use since it's in a pen format, and it makes both my morning routine and traveling with it much easier than having to use and wash a brush when using a gel liner in a pot. However, at the same time, I feel like you're wasting product whenever you use it, as you have to twist up and remove the topmost bit of liner from the last time you used it, which has since dried up. For such an expensive product, I'd like to be able to get my money's worth out of it. :(

Formula-wise, the texture of the liner is creamy and ever so slightly thick. It's very pigmented and is a nice, neutral dark brown color. It applies smoothly and doesn't drag or skip. However, it does take some getting used to, and patience. You do have to adjust a bit to be able to use this eyeliner properly. Best of all for me, it says all day and looks great all day. I don't need to worry about it fading or smudging, which is very convenient. This is the main reason I like this eyeliner so much. Also, it is removed relatively easily with a makeup wipe, so no fuss there.

All in all, this eyeliner would be good for someone who is willing to dish out the money and wants a great-looking line that stays all day. The biggest negative is that you're disposing of quite a bit of product in the process of using, which keeps me from giving this eyeliner five stars. However, if you're willing to look past that, I find that the innovative packaging and great formula really make this product shine.
Kiera P.
Kiera P.
Crawley, West Sussex

I was sooooo hyped about this product before it was released, and I managed to get my hands on it just after the product dropped in-store (somehow). This liner was the first gel I had tried - liquid was my go to because I had been so used to it and I had practiced endlessly to get it perfect - so I had mixed feelings about it, but after hearing some reviews from beauty gurus who had got the product earlier, I felt so much more confident because they were all saying how the flexible tip made application so much easier. When I got mine, and tried it out for the first time, I had so much trouble getting the product out of the tube. I twisted, and twisted, and twisted... but nothing. I sat there for a good few minutes just twisting to get product out, and eventually, a whole heap came at once. Bleugh. The liner itself was IN-CRED-IBLE. The pigmentation of it in one stroke was unlike any liquid liner I had used and I was sure that this would fast become my holy grail eyeliner. That is where this review has to take a bad turn. I had used it roughly every other for a good three weeks, and then one day, I go to it to use it, and it's just dried so much that the product won't even extrude any further from the tip. No matter how much I twisted the bottom, nothing was working. When I did eventually get product out, putting it to my skin was like dragging a pencil liner across my lid - it pulled at my skin, chunked up, and DID NOT WORK! It crumbled away the second I touched it. I was sure I had done something wrong so I bought myself another and made sure to store it differently and clean it after every use, and it happened again. I cannot stress enough how frustrated this made me because it isn't exactly the cheapest liner I had bought, but it dried out so fast and there was nothing I could do to save it.
Marina A.
Marina A.
Garden City, NY

There has been so much hype about this product. Photos of beauty magazine writers putting this eyeliner on without a mirror while sitting on a seesaw, that sort of thing. I have known plenty of eyeliners in my day and this one has its good and bad points.

Let me start off by saying that this liner is for drawing a medium to wide line. If you want just to draw a tiny line right at your lash line, this liner is not for you. The line that this product draws is opaque, matte, black and once it's on, it will last forever, or until you remove it, whichever comes first.

There is a long learning curve with this liner. The applicator is a long, flexible rubber, angled tip. The black gel liner comes out a hole at the end of the tip. You have to run this angled applicator along your lash line, and I find it drags and skips rather than move smoothly. You have to get enough product through the tip....not too much....not too little. The first amount I push through needs to be wiped off. If you don't, the gel blobs and huge flakes of black, dried or semi dried gel can drop on your cheek while you are trying to apply it. Things can get messy.

Once on, this dries very, very quickly. You need a sure hand and no interruptions. Once you start, you have to keep going no matter what. Forget the kids, the dog, the phone.....you've got to finish. I find that the first line that I draw is ragged looking and I have to go over it several times to get it to look the way it should.
Danielle M.
Danielle M.
Swampscott, MA

I really wanted to love this product, because I felt it would help me get that longed-for winged look. And, I've always had pretty great luck with Benefit products. Sadly... that was not the case. The formula of the eyeliner is nice right off the bat, but it dries very quickly, and leaves little room for error. I also had a lot of problems with caking and clumping. The first time I used it - no problem. After that, every time I used it, a chunk or two or seven would come out of the tip when I was lining my eyes. It would have been tolerable if I could have wiped it away without making a mess. Half the time it just stuck there. The consistency of the liner can best be compared to what's left in your brush an hour after you use it to apply gel liner. The end of the applicator also is not as smooth as you would think by looking at it. I expected to have more precision than I did. I used it a couple of times, and then gave up. Only Pro was that it was extremely long-wearing (read: impossible to get off, even with waterproof eye makeup remover.) So if you can get the application down, and some chunks don't bother you, this stuff is in it for the long haul. Whatever I was able to get on my eyes didn't budge once it dried. That's great for longevity, but becomes a problem when you can't touch up mistakes. This liner made me sad. Boo.
Jasmine  V.
Jasmine V.

I bought this eyeliner after I saw so many people raving about it! There is definitely a learning curve with it, which is why I believe some people rated it so low. The formula is smooth and it's a beautiful jet black which I looooooove. I wish the applicator was a little stiffer so you're more in control of where it goes, but if you're experienced with makeup, it shouldn't be a problem. I found that this product delivered the perfect cat eye when you get it right but you definitely need time to let it rise and sit. A tip I really liked from a friend was that you should definitely DEFINITELY let it sit in something warm, whether it be a warm part of your arm or a cup of warm water to let the formula really "loosen up".

I also saw a lot of reviews saying how hard it was to get off! I really enjoyed the fact that it was a long wear eyeliner, it's the only gel liner I've used that hasn't smudged when I wore it! That was pretty amazing. That being said, it is a little difficult to get off, but I find that with a bit of coconut oil and a tiny bit of pressure, it comes off perfectly!

4 stars because of the slight learning curve that could easily be fixed with a different applicator.
Maria P.
Maria P.

I ended up being disappointed in this product. I bought it from Ulta and while I generally like Benefit cosmetics this one was a bust (an not a cheap bust either!). Kudos to Benefit for trying to take the simplicity of a pencil and create the long lasting, fine line effect of a liquid. I think the concept is cool. That said, the applicator on first try takes some getting used to. It's an odd rubber tip in the shape of an angle brush. You have to remove the red tab and twist the end of the pen multiple times until product is seen. At that point it's a learning curve to apply. I found the product dries really fast so you have to work quickly. It clumps easily and does not leave the nice smooth line that a liquid brush does. I found that reapplications to fill in holes and rough edges created a dark, clumpy look. I'm sure after a few applications the learning curve gets better. I do have to give it props for long wear. This stayed put even through a gym workout. So overall, not recommended. Potential longevity but hard to apply and goes on with a very uneven application. Ultimately I had to go over it with my liquid liner to get the smooth look I was aiming for
Christine C.
Christine C.

I rushed out to Sephora the day this product launched. The idea sounded great and innovative; a gel liner in pen-form with a rubber tip. When I swatched it and let it set, the liner didn't budge when I rubbed my fingers over it and the finish was matte and jet black. The first day I wore this on my eyes, I loved it. I didn't have to worry about wiping excess gel off my brush so it wouldn't crust on afterwards, and it seemed to glide on easily. However, the more I used it, the more I grew to loathe it. At first, I loved that I could use the pointed rubber tip to move some of the product around to draw my cat eye, and it looked flawless. With continued use, I realized that the product dries out more quickly than I care for, making it increasingly difficult to achieve my eyeliner looks. My eyeliner began to look patchy, especially at the ends of my flicked wings and the inner rims of my eyes where more precision is required. I love the formula itself - it won't budge until I'm ready for it to be off. However, I wish it had different packaging, even if it's the old gel liner in a pot as long as it doesn't dry out so quickly.
Juliana D.
Juliana D.
Curitiba

I sadly sweat a lot! It basically makes impossible for me to wear any eyeliner even if I use primer or whatever it's possible to keep it on my eye lids without fading or spreading across my eye turning it all in a black weird mess. This eyeliner saves me! It may be a little expensive but I literally used it under rain and nothing happened, actually, to take it off at the end of the day is a struggle, but it is totally worth it!I find it easy to apply, the only struggle I have with it is that the product usually dries at the tip and you kind have to "trow away" a little bit before you find the gel that is usable. I still think it is worth it because of the fact it really will stay on the whole day but it can be annoying to other people and it will definitely make you think "I'm throwing my money away with this dry makeup" but at the end of the day, any other eyeliner that I buy will go straight to the trash because I won't be able to use it without it running down my face, so it is definitely worth it for anyone with oily skin or that sweat a lot.
Sana S.
Sana S.

This wacky-looking liner features a unique rubber tip that they've dubbed the "AccuFlex." The fancy-pants tip promises to hug your lash line for an easier application and a smoother, more even finish.

They're Real Push-Up Liner is also unique because it uses a gel formula inside a pen instead of liquid, which gives you more wiggle room to work with the product. The gel is super, super dark and has the all-day lasting power of a liquid liner.My first thought when applying was that it was a weird tool. It's definitely different from any other eyeliner I've ever used, but I didn't let that stop me from trying it out; it definitely lives up to its promise of hugging the lash line.

What I appreciate most about the liner is that it makes applying a super thick, dramatic, '60s-ish cat eye a two-minute process. Because the tip is already angled, you can easily create your wing and then fill in the gap across your eye.

And it does stay put--even when you're outside in the 90-degree heat sipping sangria all day, as I discovered.
Deepika A.
Deepika A.
Bolton, Greater Manchester

This product seems to tick all the boxes but unfortunately did not for me. I love the Benefit brand and when this came out it was big news. The lady t the counter used it on me and it was great, i love the darkness of it and the way she very easily applied it. This said, it was not the same when i had to use it myself. The actually pen is easy to use then most conventional eyeliners and this wasn't the problem, it was the gel product itself. The gel takes a while to come out and you wonder if you have twisted it enough, then realised when you get an overflow of gel liner which goes to waste! Secondly, the biggest issue i had which i found really frustrating was after i closed it, it seemed to form a layer of something which stopped it applying on my skin the next day. I would find that i would have to do. Tiny but on my hand before applying it on my eye and even then it 'dried' up half way through my application. 2/5 as when it did work, it looked good but too much effort to apply!
Yanira S.
Yanira S.

Is this a good product for people that can't do the winged liner?
galina G.
galina G.

I found this eyeliner difficult to apply, is there a special way to apply it I'm not aware of?
Laura M.
Laura M.
Doral, FL

Is this liner long lasting?
Jen G.
Jen G.

Is this kind of like liquid liner? I like the pencils, but prefer the liquid liner, this looks like it's the best of both worlds?
Mirna H.