Benefit Cosmetics They're Real! Lengthening MascaraInfluenster Beauty Awards Winner 2015

BY BENEFIT COSMETICS #9 in Mascara

They're Real! Lengthens, Curls, Volumizes, Lifts And Separates. Our Jet Black, Long-wearing Formula Won’t Smudge Or Dry Out. A Specially Designed Brush Reveals Lashes You Never Knew You Had!

94% Saw Dramatic Length & Volume*
94% Saw Visible Lift*
100% Saw Long-wearing Results*

Water (Aqua), Paraffin, Polybutene, Styrene/Acrylates/Ammonium Methacrylate Copolymer, Beeswax (Cera Alba), Bisdiglyceryl Polyacyladipate2, C1836 Acid Triglyceride, Palmitic Acid, Stearic Acid, Triethanolamine, Vp/Eicosene Copolymer, Acacia Senegal Gum, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Phenoxyethanol, Tetrasodium Edta, Butylene Glycol, Caprylyl Glycol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Laureth12 Sulfate, Glycerin, Potassium Sorbate, Sericin, Calcium Chloride, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tilia Tomentosa Bud Extract, Citric Acid, Bht, Sorbic Acid. [+/: Iron Oxides (Ci 77491, Ci 77492, Ci 77499), Ultramarines (Ci 77007), Chromium Oxide Greens (Ci 77288), Chromium Hydroxide Green (Ci 77289), Titanium Dioxide (Ci 77891)]. N° 05827/N

• Do this give your eyes the bold pop look?100 Answers
  • Fave mascara at the moment? Mine is Benefit Cosmetics They're Re...5 Answers
  • Is it worth how expensive it is?94 Answers
Buy on Sephora*
  • "This mascara is definitely one of my favorites! Whenever I'm wearing this people always compliment my lashes! This mascara does a great job at lengthening & volumizing! Perfect mascara If you are going for bold lashes! " in 2644 reviews
  • "This mascara is definitely one of my favorites! Whenever I'm wearing this people always compliment my lashes! This mascara does a great job at lengthening & volumizing! Perfect mascara If you are going for bold lashes! " in 2302 reviews
  • "I got a sample of this at Sephora and this is mascara has a funky wand, as I'm sure everyone knows. But the ball on the end works great for getting inner lashes or separating lashes." in 992 reviews
  • "So my mascara has always smudged after about two hours of wear, or I have to use waterproof mascara which makes my lashes gross after I removed the mascara. Since this mascara is water resistant it does not do that to my lower lashes. People keep saying the price is a con, but I buy the smaller tube which costs $10, so it is similar in price to the drugstore mascaras. My only complaint is that the spiky ball on the end of the mascara wand really does not work for me." in 592 reviews
Mareli S.
Mesa, AZ
Review for: Black more...
I know everyone says they have tried them all but I literally have spent thousands of $ over the years trying to find one that works for me. I have tried all of the top brands as well as drug store brands. My lashes are thin (you could probably almost count them) and short and have no natural curl to them. If I don't use an eyelash curler, the top & bottom lashes of the outside corners will stick together no matter what mascara I use. This one takes a little practice to get it just right for you. I have found that if you let it dry and try to put on a 2nd coat, it will clump. The more you try to work with them the worse they become. Therefore you make sure you have enough on the brush the first time. I always curl my lashes first then starting at the base I move the brush up slowly, slightly wiggling it back a forth so that I am depositing the maximum I want on each lash because I can't re-coat once dry. I don't take the brush away from my lashes until I reach the tip, brushing straight up until I've passed the tip. IF I see that I need to adjust the lashes, I go back immediately while they are still wet, and using that rounded tip, separate them or what ever it is I wanted to fix. The key is to not let it dry before separating or adjustments. It made my eyelashes look twice as thick and twice as long. Now it did not give me those lush full lashes some women (& many men) are blessed with but it made a substantial difference. It does not flake on me at all through a 12-14 hr day, but I'm not one who touches my lashes or my eyes after they are made up; like rubbing or wiping. As for removal, it is almost like a waterproof because soap and water nor many of the makeup removers take it off. I use those wet facial cloths to remove all my makeup. Takes it right off. Some brands work better than others but so far they all work. I take the cloth and keep it folded becasue it's holding more moisture that way, and with my eye closed, press it up against the underside of my lashes where I put the mascara on and hold it there for a couple seconds to soften the mascara and then wipe the cloth upwards. I usually do it 2 maybe 3 times depending on how much I purt on. Now granted, I now have it smugged on my eye lid but then using a clean part of the cloth, wipe my lid and it's gone! Don't pull on your lashes or rubbed something roughly over them back and forth because you are going to pull out your lashes. While you're young you may not think about that but as you age and especially with what we do to them to look the way we want to look, is hard on them. At some point they will stop gowing rapidly replacing the ones that fell out and they will get thinner and thinner. Have you ever seen a woman over 45 or there abouts, with thick eyelashes that are real? So be gentle with them. Now this may sound like it takes a long time to put on or off but it's actually quicker than when I used the other top brands becasue I don't have to 2nd coat and then play with them to separate etc. And coming off is quicker than if I washed my face with soap and water. So to those of you that have difficulties using it, try it my way and see if that works for you. Just remember, even though they all say to let them dry and put on a second coat, it doesn't work with this one. It will clump and that's the flakes that fall off so quickly into your day. I'll even rotate the brush as I'm putting it on so that I'm using all of the wet sides of the brush.
Kat J.
San Antonio, TX
Review for: Brown, Black more...
This mascara was my first upgrade into high end makeup,... I will never forget how blown away I was by the difference in quality. I was so used to drug store makeup, I couldn’t believe how fantastic this Benefit mascara was in comparison.

They’re Real certainly delivers on its claims of length and definition,... The pigment is rich in color and the wet formula doesn’t clump or flake. I find that it doesn’t give me good volume, but what it lacks in volume it makes up for in durability. This mascara will not budge,... Even though it doesn’t claim to be waterproof, it definitely doesn’t smear or smudge even in the most humid conditions or the most intense crying sessions. This does make it somewhat difficult to remove, but I’ve found that CLINIQUE Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm does the trick.

They’re Real Mascara gives a dramatic false-lash effect while still looking incredibly natural and gorgeous. It has some flaws, but the quality remains amazing despite them.

4 / 5 stars.
Janine A.
Review for: Black more...
I think the packaging on this is so sleek and cool looking. In theory I absolutely love the wand, I think the spiky ball at the end is great and I personally enjoy the plastic bristles because I find I can really wiggle it into my lashline. However you also have to be careful because the brush wand is more pointy than most other mascaras I have tried and it is easy to push into the lashline too hard and poke yourself in the eye. For some strange reason, I like how the formula itself smells, sounds weird I know, but I enjoy it. I think the formula is good, but I think it dries too quickly! I have never been able to layer up my mascara because my lashes don't take well to layering once the first layer had dried. I like to play with the mascara in my lashes and work to achieve the look I want, and I find that this formula dries too fast and I end up with OK looking lashes. It has good staying power, I just wish I had more time to basically mold my lashes to how I like them to look.
Abbey L.
Painesville, OH
Review for: Black more...
People seem to be torn about this mascara, but I absolutely loved it! I've found a new holy grail now (Benefit's Bad Gal Bang!) but this was my tried and true for years, and here's why:

The formula is great. It doesn't clump up on me at all, and it gives my lackluster lashes SO much length, they do genuinely almost look fake. The mascara is nice and black, which I love, and I notice no flaking off or smudging onto my lids throughout the day. The wand itself is great for getting those tiny lashes that a lot of mascara wands miss, but the applicator is very spiky, and can be a little painful if you aren't careful.

The only thing keeping They're Real! from a 5-star rating is that it is borderline impossible to remove. Seriously, it's a huge pain to take off. I guess that could be a pro OR con because once it's on, it's ON. That aside, this mascara is a total hit. I'd recommend it to anyone!
Kimberly C.
Review for: Black more...
This mascara is pretty great, but I wouldn't call it my favorite. I would recommend this to anyone that is looking to lengthen their lashes. The formula does an amazing job at that and it will hold a curl if you curl your lashes. I have never experienced any smudging or flaking when I have worn this and the mascara will last for at least 8 hours.  However, this mascara doesn't volumize. The wand is very spiny and is meant to separate the lashes to make them look more natural. If you're going for a natural makeup look I highly recommend this, but if you want to add more volume to your lashes I would suggest to try another mascara.
Kate H.
Indian Trail, NC
Review for: Black more...
This. Stuff. Is. Amazing. I’m asked multiple times a day if my lashes are real or fake or if I have on false lashes or extensions. Zero fall out, zero clumping. It’s my perfect match. It’s also my most repurchased item. Now, with all of my praise I do believe it doesn’t work the same for everyone which makes me super sad. I do know friends who have said they experienced a difficult time removing the mascara and that they lost lashes in the process. It is a waterproof so you do have to use more than just water to remove it. I also don’t recommend applying to the bottom lashes because I always have little black smudged dots from it. I do recommend the brown primer for the bottom- check out my review on it!
Jo K.
Review for: Black more...
At first I wasn’t entirely sure I loved this mascara. It lengthens and adds volume to the lashes but the formula is pretty wet. You have to be careful to let it dry a bit before looking up or down or it will come off on the skin a bit. That being said.. Once it dries this does not budge! I will swear by this for it staying power. I went to a seminar and had a very emotional weekend. I cried on and off all day listening to some amazing people and stories. Not once did my mascara run. Normally I would have looked like a raccoon, but this stuff was amazing. If you can get past the initial application, you will love this! Highly recommend, especially for wedding days or any other emotional event.
elizabeth s.
NJ
Review for: Black more...
I’ve heard this mascara was really good by so many influencers that I wanted to try it but i didn’t want to spend $24 on it. So I ended up buying the mascara in a set with other benefit products (that I actually wanted) for $15 and the mascara was full size! By everyone’s hype over this mascara, I was so excited to get my hands on it once and for all! So I tried it... I hated it!! I didn’t like the way it curl my lashes, ha! They didn’t even curl my lashes!! I didn’t like the wand also, and I didn’t like the way it look my eyes, it made my eyes look uneven somehow... I disliked this product a lot. I do not recommend at all. I prefer thebalm mad lash mascara over this one. Thebalm the Balm Mad Lash Black Mascara
Hallie H.
Durant
Alright, this is the most absolutely amazing mascara I have ever used in my entire life. If your the kind of girl that doesn't do false lashes all of the time then I recommend this mascara to you, it gives you real and full looking lashes, you do not have to use a ton of it. It is pricey but you would want it to be in cosmetics otherwise your just paying for the low quality of the product, why do that and pay for a little bit more and getting the best out of your product. I got mine a Ulta Beauty and I would definitely recommend you getting yourself one. Benefit Cosmetics They're Real! Lengthening Mascara
Rhonda R.
Hastings, MN
Review for: Black more...
I received a sample of this mascara and used it for awhile, so I have a good idea of how this product performs. My lashes are not crazy long, and I find that I have to use a lash curler to keep them from being too straight. This mascara was okay, but I don't think it's worth the money it costs. I'm not a big fan of the plastic wand, and I found that the bristles at the end of the brush were not very helpful with those hard-to-reach lashes since I felt like I was just poking myself in the eye with it. It also did not help curl my lashes, as I had to use my lash curler before applying it to make them hold a curl. By the end of the day, my mascara would be crumbling, which is not a good sign for me. I prefer many mascaras at the drugstore compared to this one, but I know it is a cult favorite, so I'm sure it was just my preferences keeping me from purchasing the full size.
Brandy T.
Benton, AR
Do this give your eyes the bold pop look?
Mary I.
Eau Claire, WI
Is it worth how expensive it is?
Marlena B.
Fairfield, CA
What do you use to take off this mascara? I use coconut oil but I'd like to see if there are more options.
Marie T.
Would you say this is your holy grail mascara?
Karly R.
Raleigh, NC
I have been hearing a lot about how great this mascara is, but is it worth the price?