Benefit Cosmetics They're Real! Gel Eyeliner Pen

This matte black gel formula is waterproof and won’t smudge, budge or dry out for 24 hours*. The innovative soft AccuFlex™ Tip hugs your lashline from corner to corner...the closer the line, the bigger the eye!

How To Apply:

If you like it, put a wing on it.

Ooh la la, it’s your first time? Prep the pen by removing the orange AccuFlex™ Tip protector (you can toss ‘er). Twist base until gel appears, then wipe off excess.

Now do it on the daily! Wipe off leftover gel before each use, then slowly twist the base until a tiny amount of gel appears. Rest the tip on the base of your lashes and guide along your lashline from either the inner or outer corner. The angled AccuFlex™ Tip works both ways, with pleasure.

Isododecane, Dextrin Palmitate, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Dimethicone, Phenoxyethanol, Disodium Stearoyl Glutamate, Aluminum Hydroxide, Silica. [+/: CI 19140 (Yellow 5, Yellow 5 Lake), CI 42090 (Blue 1 Lake), CI 77007 (Ultramarines), CI 77163 (Bismuth Oxychloride), CI 77288 (Chromium Oxide Greens), CI 77289 (Chromium Hydroxide Green), CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 (Iron Oxides), CI 77510 (Ferric Ferrocyanide, Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide), CI 77742 (Manganese Violet), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide)]. N⁰ 08395/A

Is it waterproof ?
Would you recommend? I’ve been contemplating whether or not to get this
Does this Liner smear for anyone ?
Start your review of Benefit Cosmetics They're Real! Gel Eyeliner Pen!
Product Highlights
“I'm the type of girl that wings out her liner nearly everyday. This product makes it super easy and quick for me to do. The flexible tip takes some getting used to, but once you do, it's amazing. The pen-like design makes it easy to control. The formula itself doesn't budge throughout the day. The only down side to this is the liner takes awhile to get to the tip, so sometimes I go overboard with the twists and too much product comes out. Oops. Overall, it's definitely worth the buy.” in reviews
“...cinch, and glides on with pretty much no effort, as well as being super black. It is long lasting, and looks good on its own or with additional black liquid liner on top. I usually only use other liners to touch it up.” in reviews
“The They're Real! Gel Eyeliner is personally my holy grail product. I cannot go a day without this product. It made my eyeliner routine so easy and quick in the morning. Love it!” in reviews
Purchased at: Macy's
Review for: Black
Holy smokes everyone! This has got to be the most budge proof, smudge proof, crease proof, and Pool-proof eyeliner. This without a doubt WILL have a learning curve. It is a gel/clay like product in the form of a pen. Most, if not all, pen products I’ve seen are liquid. It takes a minute to learn it’s picky ways but you learn to love this. Since this product is a thicker product it will come out as a glop at first but that’s because it’s not a liquid. That being said, this product works best when it’s warmed up. In the winter it gets a little harder to apply. It glides smoother when warmed up so my top would be to put this in your pocket while you do other makeup until you need to apply this. The end of the pen is actually an angled rubber tip with a slight opening for the gel to flow out of. You twist the pen for more product. You don’t need too many clicks in order to get a good cat eye. I would also put a tiny amount on one of the backs of my fingers and move it around to help warm up what goes on my eyelid. This eyeliner is dark and it is MATTE. This eyeliner also dries down pretty quickly so if you still mess up on eyeliner often you might want to steer away from this until you’ve learned it’s finicky ways. This eyeliner lasts so so long! I’ve never had an eyeliner stay on my eyelid so long. If you have long days and love love love a winged eye look by all means buy one of these. Or buy a mini.
Austin, TX
Review for: Black
I have used liquid blackest black liner for almost ten years. I was very excited to buy this because I adore Benefit cosmetics. I was a little leery when I received it due to the plastic tip and thick paste-like consistency of the product. Additionally, if used correctly (squeezing out all the remaining in the tip when done and refilling it with a full turn before using again), I felt like I was wasting a lot of the product with each use. However, you simply cannot beat the coverage with this liner! It is thick, not blotchy, lasts all day, never smears or smudges and gives fantabulous wings! I love this product. Personal tips: Use quickly, don't hesitate, just go for it! Do the *dab*dab* technique they recommend close to your lashes, it really gets the product right up against the line. Always always clean out the applicator and use fresh product before each use. I may change my 5 heart opinion if it runs out super quickly (due to the aforementioned waste), but I've been using this almost daily for three weeks and I have never been more happy with a liner!
Texas
Review for: Black
This mascara is pretty great; the thin silicone wand does a good job at applying the product, and the product separates my lashes yet makes them look full and lengthened. I don't get much use out of the wand tip. The little bristles at the end, that are supposed to give you precision, hold on to too much product out of the tube and just makes a mess when trying to use it. The formula is a bit water-y and takes a little longer to dry in comparison to other mascaras I've tried. My big issue is the fact that it takes a while to take off. I've used makeup wipes and typical soap and water, but neither get the product off completely at the end of the day. I guess this is good for the longevity of the wear but it is a little frustrating before bed time. The product is not waterproof which baffles me because, as I've just said, it is very difficult to wash off. Overall it is a good mascara.
Coram, NY
Review for: Brown, Green, Black
since finding this this is my absolute holy Grail for gel eyeliners. I know a lot of people have had a lot of negative reviews on this eyeliner and I think it's because they're not taking the time to learn how to properly use it. You definitely need to twist it up just enough to get some product out and then wipe it on to something so it's not clumpy on your eyes when applying. Gentle pressure on the eye with a slow and steady hand I'll get you the most perfect eye hugging liner you ever used. I have slightly hooded eyes and this is one of the only liners I find does not transfer to my lid and that is without using setting powder. It also makes an amazing cat eye. Definitely definitely definitely try this eyeliner and give it a chance take the time to learn how to use it you won't be sorry.
Benefit Cosmetics They're Real! Gel Eyeliner Pen uploaded by Caprisha F.
Purchased at: Sephora
Review for: Black
Benefit Cosmetics Theyre Real! Gel Eyeliner Pen is my “go to” eyeliner for a long lasting & very pigmented cat-eye. I love how matte it is! My only complaint is the crumbly residue buildup of the gel formula after wearing it for a few hours. If that gets fixed then I would give it 5 stars & I wouldn’t search for a new eyeliner.
Malden, MA
Review for: Black
When this first came out the product was amazing! I couldn’t get enough it was the best eyeliner i ever used it went on so smooth was easy to use and stayed all day. I could make a beautiful wing that I would swoon over. Then I think they changed the formula because after the first initial two I purchased they weren’t good anymore the product would be dried out or there wouldn’t even be enough product for a few applications and then it would dry out so bummed out because I thought they were really on to something here!
Durham, NC
Review for: Black
I wanted to love this eyeliner, but I think it could be better. Once you actually get the product on, it wears well. My problem is with the actual application. You have to twist the tube to get the gel to come up, but it takes a lot of twists to get any product out. Usually, I twist and twist and twist, get the right amount, apply, and move on with my day - but there seems to be some kind of delayed "oozing" of the gel because whenever I open it up for the next use, there is a ton of product coming out! This product ends up getting wasted and it's a shame. If this issue could get fixed it would be a great product.
Review for: Black
This is a decent product and is long lasting. The color is opaque and glides on easily. The only downfall on why i do not continue to buy this product despite liking the formula is that it rubs out so quickly and has very little product being a waist of money in my opinion when i have used plenty of other liners same or cheaper lasting twice as long. Maybe the packaging and mechanism to dispense eyeliner is expensive causing higher price point.
North Mankato, MN
Review for: Black
This product has a learning curve and it took me a while to figure out. I felt like I was clicking forever to make the product come out and when it did come out it seemed like half the product came out. Although I will say when I did finally figure out how to use it the product gave me a really cool like classic pinup style wing. The only only issue I had with this is that it transferred onto my loader lash line, but I also have super oily skin
APO
Review for: Black
The concept of this product is great, however I find that it isn’t easy to use. I love the idea of having “fresh” cream/gel liner in a pen as I find that cream/gel liners have a better color pay off than liquids, but the design of this product doesn’t do the concept justice. I find that the applicator does not give ease of use. The formula doesn’t glide onto the applicator while lining the eyes and because of this, it tugs on the eye area.

332 questions

Ask a question to the Influenster community...