BY BENEFIT COSMETICS #4 in Mascara

What it is:
A mascara inspired by hair rollers, this super-curling and lifting mascara gives a sexy, wide-eyed look. Its patent-pending Hook ‘n’ Roll™ brush features tiny custom-designed hooks to catch, lift, and curl even short and straight lashes.

What it does:
Bye-bye, eyelash curler! Roller Lash not only lifts and super-curls, but this instant curve-setting formula holds for 12 hours, is easy to remove, and contains provitamin B5 and serine, known for their lash-conditioning benefits.

Research results:
In a consumer panel survey of 31 women for 4 weeks:
- 97% said it visibly lifts lashes
- 87% said it gives long-lasting curl
- 94% said eyes look more wide open

Beauty Tip:
For super curl and length, apply Roller Lash first to curl and lift your lashes. Then layer They’re Real! lengthening mascara on top.

• Benefit Cosmetics Roller Lash Curling & Lifting Mascara how is th...4 Answers
  • I see so many youtubers use this as their go-to mascara, and I ju...85 Answers
  • How do you get a free sample of this one? Really want to try! 26 Answers
Buy on Sephora*
  • "Best mascara ever it does everything it says it is going to do makes a natural curl, very black, and does not smudge or clump off during the day." in 3 reviews
  • "really good mascara." in 1 review
  • "For a high end mascara this is not my favorite if you have straight, medium length lashes." in 1 review
  • "Normally I buy from your typical drug store but I received this in my Birchbox and definitely glad I got to try it out to find out that it is worth the buy!" in 1 review
  • "I feel like it really helped to separate them and give them length." in 1 review
nicole s.
miami
Beauty Junkie Expert
Roller lash by benefit has been my religion since the moment I first used it. I had tried benefits other mascaras which i loved too but roller lash is definitely my favorite and I have to buy a new one at Sephora about every 3 months because I use it so often. Once I curled one of my eyes and not the other and proceeded to put this mascara on both and it literally had the same effect. While wearing this mascara I get compliments on my eyelashes all the time and I’ve even been told that it’s like i’m flirting every time i blink. I recommend this mascara to my friends all the time, I just wish it was a little cheaper but it’s still a good price for the quality. It’s pretty water resistant and separates lashes very well while lengthening, curling, and thickening them without the issue of clumping. I have long eyelashes but they’re blonde and soft and flat without mascara so roller lash works perfectly for me.
Ramya D.
Cincinnati
Beauty Junkie Expert
I was quite skeptical when I first saw that Benefit would be releasing a new mascara just for the fact that I knew finding a honest review towards the product would be difficult to come by. "They're Real" has been given 'holy grail' status by beauty gurus and bloggers with very little justification as to why. That product is quite heavy on the lashes, does not retain a curl, causes clumpiness, and is a hassle to remove. However, this product is different. The Brush Benefit's Roller Lash has a unique brush that is designed with an inward curve, making it a breeze to apply to the curl of lashes. The brush also contains different sized bristles which are great for separating and preventing clumping on the lashes. I personally found the brush to be one of the highlights of this product. The Formula The formula has a wet texture to it and applies extremely black to the lashes. In my makeup routine I prefer to only use one mascara, which is often waterproof, just to save time and my lashes upon removal. Roller Lash is water resistant meaning that it will hold up against moisture to an extent, which it definitely does. I found the formula to be a tad bit heavy but was still able to retain some sort of curl created with my lash curler. I did not experience any noticeable lengthening but bear in mind my lashes are already quite long. While to brush is designed to stop clumpy lashes the product sort of causes it to occur because it is so wet and dries fast, making it difficult to remedy. I like how dark the formula is as it really makes my eyelashes stand out. The formula is also much easier to remove compared to "They're Real" meaning you will not lose half your eyelashes in the process. Overall I would say the formula could be improved to prevent the lashes from being weighed down and clumped up. The Longevity I found Roller Lash to hold up well for up to eight hours without smudging or the fading. Some mascaras I find begin to fade around the six to seven hour mark, which is not so for Roller Lash. My lashes held their colour for the entire without any indication of fading. I also did not undergo any sort smudging on my brow bone, which I find sometimes happens with mascaras. I quite liked Roller Lash overall but I do not believe it will be awarded 'holy grail' status in my makeup collection anytime soon. My suggestion is to seek out the deluxe sample before purchasing the product just to test it out on your lashes. Some lashes will benefit (hah, no pun intended) more from this mascara than others. My lashes are already quite long so this product weighed them down somewhat, so I feel those with shorter lashes will experience a more positive resul
Elizabeth C.
Louisville, KY
Beauty Junkie Expert
I honestly didn't think I'd like this mascara. I don't like most things that are super hyped up because they usually don't deliver.
But I did want the dandelion blush and this little guy was in the set so of course I tried it.
Now to be honest I wasn't blown away but with all the really bad high end mascara out there that I've tried this one is definitely one I'd use.
I have yet to find that holy grail mascara. I have 2 or 3 I use for layering to get the huge lashed look that I really want and I've added this to that rotation of 2 (now 3).
On its own it seperates the lashes super well and gets them pretty dark. It also adds a bit of volume and length but not too much of either. It doesn't clump and the color is super black. Its super easy to coat the front and back lashes as well as the sides and the little hairs on top and bottom.
The unique thing about this mascara that would make it worth it to purchase is that it has a really unique curved brush with soft but firm bristles that separate and coat the lash completely while the brush gives a ton of curl.
With this I can use my Burberry bold for volume and my Stila huge extreme for lash (but can get clumpy) and then lightly use roller lash to remove any lashes that are stuck to each other from each other and curl the big, bold lashes I've just made with my boldest mascara. Then I use this on my bottom lashes because it has a ton of precision.
With this brush its super easy to just push upwards on the bottom lashes from the ends of the lashes upwards to curl them and darken them without making them look to long and spidery like a 1960s Tammy Fay Baker wannabe.
Overall I recommend this for those who have regular to long lashes. If you have short lashes I would keep looking for something that gives more length than this.
nathalie u.
santa cruz
Beauty Junkie Expert
This is the first curling mascara I've ever tried and wanted to try out a sample rather than purchase the full-sized and find out that it wasn't something I was interested in. Over the past few months I have been trying different mascaras and hadn't quite found one that I loved for every day use. I like the fiber lash extensions, but only for going out and dates nights and things like that. More of a special occasion type mascara than an every day one for me personally. I saw the Benefit Rollerlash at Ulta awhile back and was curious on the applicator portion of the wand. I waited until I had used up the mascara I was using at the time and then decided to test this one out. The wand applicator is a little intimidating because it's more of a rubber-type material as opposed to little bristles like every other wand I've ever seen. I applied it as I would any other mascara and it seems to work just fine that way. It does provide more of a curl to my lashes without using a lash curler. Anything that can save me time during my morning makeup routine is definitely welcome. I like that this mascara is clump free because a couple of the ones I've used lately haven't been and it's very frustrating. Mascara is one of the very last things I put on so if it gets messed up it causes me to have to remove and re-do other makeup which tends to make me late for work. This stays on all day, but comes off easily with my go-to Mary Kay oil-free eye makeup remover. It's the best ever and with one cotton ball I can easily remove the mascara from both sets of lashes. I'm still not overly enthused on the price for a full-sized mascara, but I am definitely impressed with the formula. « less
Desiree H.
Ft. Oglethorpe
Beauty Junkie Expert
The following opinions are mine and mine alone. I got a couple of these half size benefit mascaras and absolutely love them and won't trade them at all on the swap website for Beauty Box products. The reason I like it so much and have started wearing it even though I didn't care for mascara before, is the design of the applicator. It has regular bristles going 90% of the way around it and out to the end , and the best part is that the part that you use on the top to grab your eyelashes has tiny little spaces in between them so that you can grab every lash and wiggle it as you go up and it curls the Lash and lengthens it. I like to take a second coat to go over the tips of my lashes and on days I don't wear makeup I can wear just a black eyeliner and this mascara and still look somewhat put together. Most mascaras I have used do not grab your lashes the way this does because the applicator is rubber and this trip of the applicator meant to grab your lashes after root has rubber spikes meant to grab and separate your lashes. I only gave it 4 stars instead of 5 because it was not waterproof but I would still pick it above another waterproof brand until I see one made as dynamically as this one is.
Klarissa M.
Avondale
I decided to give this a try because I went into Sephora wanting to try out a mascara. The employee referred me to this one. When I first tried it I did somewhat like it. It did help with the girl of my lashes which liked! It did take a little for a it to completely dry.
This mascara isn't the best when it comes to coming off. I found it to be stubborn on wanting to come off. Also, the longer I went using this mascara I noticed it completely thinned out my eyelashes! Some of them even came off too.
It took a bit for them to completely grow back to how they were. I naturally have long eyelashes and love using mascara to make them longer but when this happened it just made me upset.
I stick with drugstore mascara now! I don't notice the difference and in fact I've found better drugstore mascara than some of these higher end brands.
Not everyone has the same experience but I wouldn't risk it.
Hannah S.
Round Rock, TX
Beauty Junkie Expert
I like benefit because they have BROWN mascara. I've used They're Real for a long time and decided to give this a try. I was wanting more defined, almost natural lashes. I've seen a bunch of people use this product and recommend it, saying it did just that. However, I've had a hard time applying it. First off, I am not great at makeup to begin with, but as a semi-newb, I've found the curve in the brush part of the wand, super confusing to use. I either separate them to where they clumb together and they are spider/spikey, or I get it all over my eye lid.

It comes off SO much easier than the They're Real formula which is a huge perk. I feel like I lose eyelashes every time I try to remove They're Real, but Roller Lash is simple. Just a little bit of makeup remover and boom.

Your lashes look the same all day too. No running, no sagging, so looking nasty and dry. They are soft and pretty (or as pretty as you can get them).

I am going to continue to use it and see if I can get the hang of the brush. I did find if you put some of the They're Real tinted mascara primer underneath that my lashes look more natural.
Victoria M.
Beauty Junkie Expert
This is a good mascara. If you don’t want to have a thick look then this is great for you. I feel as if it thins my lashes out and doesn’t give it any type of volume. I would definitely say that it rolls on very smoothly. An it doesn’t get messy. I love the fact that the handle has a gel/rubber handle in it, so it’s more comfortable to hold. I would definitely recommend this to people who don’t want their lashes too thick!!!
Kennedy S.
Lexington, KY
Beauty Junkie Expert
This is my absolute favorite mascara out of both high-end and drugstore options. This mascara has beautiful packaging and it is so easy to apply. This mascara does not clump at all and the wand is skinny so it makes it easy to eat to each of your lashes individually if you tilt the wand a certain way. It makes your lashes so long and holds curl beautifully. However, it does not do much in the way of volume and making your lashes look fuller so I recommend using a volumizing mascara on top if you want to add full glam.
Rachel H.
New York Mills
Beauty Junkie Expert
I'm not a huge fan of this mascara. With that being said, you must know that I am incredibly picky when it comes to mascara. After years of applying makeup on a daily basis, I still have been unable to find a mascara I absolutely love within my price range. This mascara does not give me the length I am looking for. My lashes are short and I really need something to trick everyone into thinking I have long luscious lashes!! If I was going to purchase a Benefit mascara it would have to be "They're Real."
Patricia T.
Beauty Junkie Expert
I see so many youtubers use this as their go-to mascara, and I just want to know if it's really worth all the hype?
Chloe F.
British Columbia
Is it worth the price tag compared to a drugstore. I already have fairly thick lashes so I want something that doesn't clump but makes them longer
Marianne G.
Beauty Junkie Expert
This product has a really good reviews ! Compare with the better than sex mascara , which want do you prefer ?
Ruby O.
How do you get a free sample of this one? Really want to try!
Gaby R.
I have Been looking for a new mascara because i just ran out of my favorite mascara. I wanted to try a new mascara but I'm scared of getting a mascara that clumps or doesn't lift my lashes because there too short. Does anyone know if this mascara makes your lashes clump or doesn't lift them?