BY BECCA #15 in Face Primer

What it is:

A skin-awakening primer that instantly erases the signs of a bad face day to leave the complexion fresh, awake and hydrated.

What it does:

A wake up call for the skin, First Light Priming Filter brightens lackluster and dull skin and instantly refreshes the complexion. Skin goes from dull, dry and fatigued to hydrated, healthy and awake. The perfect primer to create a fresh canvas for all day makeup wear.

Cool Light Technology softly scatters translucent, cool violet light to brighten & even out imperfections. Mineral-rich spring water, prickly pear flower and Sodium Hyaluronate capture moisture to hydrate and revive skin. Ginger energizes the complexion and the fresh citrus notes create an awakening experience.

What else you need to know:

First Light Priming Filter looks violet but applies sheer. The energizing citrus scent is the perfect first step for your morning routine. It can be used by all skin tones & skin types.

How to use:

Apply like a traditional primer all over the face to prep and hydrate the skin before foundation or use alone for a luminous, pure healthy glow.

• Do y'all like this one or smashbox better?5 Answers
  • BECCA First Light Priming Filter Instant Complexion Refresh Spray...2 Answers
  • How does this apply? Is it a water based or silicone based primer...2 Answers
Buy on Sephora*
  • "this is a great moisturizing primer. i received a small size as a free gift with a becca purchase. it gives more of a dewy, natural shine, so it's great for that type of look, but i tend to prefer matte looks. but this does feel really nice on the skin. i would recommend this for someone who loves a dewy skin look!" in 326 reviews
  • "like it a lot. i use it every day. it provides a great moisturizing base for makeup application.  i don't believe the violet shade provides much in the way of luminosity for my deep complexion, so i had to remove 1 star. i like the sturdy packing and would recommend it to friends." in 174 reviews
Kylie S.
Plainfield, IN
Can we say how gorgeous this primer is?  I'm not going to lie... it's what first got me.  I saw it recommended by a blogger and I started doing some research.  There were some mixed reviews on various websites.  I pulled the trigger.  It was just too pretty not to give it a shot.  It was by far the most expensive primer I've tried and also the first purchase by Becca.  Positive side is that it's a bit bigger than my other primers so it will last me a bit longer.

My initial thoughts were unsure.  I gave it rest for a while (winter months) and started trying it again.  I'm trying to channel the more dewy look for spring/summer.  I love it!  I feel that it isn't drying and goes on smoothly.  It's texture allows me to spread it evenly while using minimal product (a full pump is a bit too much).  I DO have to use a finishing powder whenever I use this, especially in my oily areas (chin, nose, forehead).  I find that doing that solves my prior issues.  I will most likely repurchase, although I am now curious about her other versions...
Tiffany A.
I actually tried this the first time when I went to sephora for a complimentary makeover. The girl who was doing my makeup told me about it because I'm usually more into a natural finish at opposed to a matte finish and this primary gives just the right amount of illumination to make a matte foundation look super natural. If has kind of an odd smell so if you aren't big on that then this isn't for you but I can get past it because it is just beautiful. My makeup goes on flawlessly with it on and I feel so pretty! Unfortunately I cannot afford 40 dollars for a primer so the time so I haven't managed to get ahold of another bottle yet but if I get a gift card for Christmas then it'll definitely be on my wishlist.
Brooke H.
Dickinson, ND
I absolutely adore this primer. It is like the best combination of a moisturizer and a primer. it goes on so smooth and i can really feel it hydrating my skin which i definitely need before applying foundation. the “filter” in the name of this primer is so accurate, i really can’t explain what it does, maybe it’s the lavender color of the primer but it does something to where i could apply just this primer (and brows of course) and go about my day. much like the back light primer, this primer adds an amazing glow while also going on like a moisturizer. i also love the smell of this primer. i can be really sensitive to smells but this primer smells delicious.
OnDeane J.
PHILADELPHIA, PA
I received a "full sized" sample of this from Sephora and I love it. I have oily skin and I still loved it. It's very light and can be worn under a foundation or alone to add a beautiful, healthy glow to the skin. It automatically has you looking dewy and lit from within, but not greasy. I liked this under my mattifying foundation because it kept me from looking too dry/matte. No chalkboard face! It stood up to my oily skin through most of the day. Long enough to get through work and a few errands after. Good enough for me! The amount of transfer was normal, minimal in the am but increased throughout the day as my makeup broke down.
lindsey s.
I usually use silicone based smoothing primers so I was interested to try more of a moisturizing one. I really like the texture, it’s not too watery and it feels nice on the skin. It made my skin soft with a little bit of tackiness to adhere to my foundation. Overall I really liked the finish this gave my skin and how it kept my foundation on and looking good the whole day. The violent tint doesn’t have any pigmentation so it doesn’t last on the skin but it’s a cute color. I would recommend this more for dry skin but I really enjoyed using this primer.
Yadira C.
Fort Worth, TX
I love this primer! It goes on thin so I find myself putting on two pumps when I’m trying to go for a full glam look. It gives a subtle glow but not as dewy as the backlight primer. I do feel like it helps hide some of my skin imperfections which is awesome. The only thing I dislike is how it smells, it smells lemony like something you would clean with. It would make more sense if it smelled like lavender. The good thing is that the smell does go away after you put on your makeup. I purchased it at Ulta on sale for $19. But I don’t know if I’d pay full price for another one yet.
Taleya W.
I love this stuff (it's so much better than the backlight primer)!  If you're looking for a nice, dewey, moisturizing primer, this is for you!  I LOVE the slight lavender tint because it makes my skin look brighter!  It's not my most moisturizing primer but it does the job.  This does not fill pores.  I don't notice my make up lasting significantly longer with it either but make up applies really nicely over top of it!  I've already repurchased and I would recommend it.
Marilyn C.
Rockford, MN
I absolutely LOVE this product. This completely replaces mixing cover FX into foundation for a glowy and dewy look. Obviously, you using a matte full coverage with this would do no good, so keep in mind that dewy + glowy isn’t meant to be for full coverage. I use this when I have great skin days because I am dry and have acne issues. Great skin day means moisturized and little acne! Anything shimmery or dewy is only going to emphasize bad skin, so keep that in mind when deciding on a primer or foundation.
This is my KEY to the perfect glow look and it smells lightly of lavender.
Layla C.
Elk Grove, CA
So far I’ve been loving this product. The packaging is beautiful i love the pump everything is super nice. This primer is more for refreshing your face and making it look more even and together basically making your makeup look super nice just in my opinion. I love it for when i feel dry if I’m feeling oily I’ll use it on top of a more matte moisturizer. I’m combination so even when I have an oily t zone I can still find this product useful on my dry patches. I like it a lot! It’s a bit pricey but like I said the product feels very high quality along with the packaging.
Jennifer T.
I love the smell of this primer, it smells like lemons! Love the consistency of it as well, not too thick and it sits well under my makeup. I would say this is good for dry or combination skin, I''m not sure someone with oily skin would like this since there is a sheen to it. I think this would look best under a light coverage foundation or bb cream.
Emilie B.
Omaha, NE
I love BECCA and have the Illuminating Foundation. Will adding this underneath be too much?
Alecia P.
Pittsford, NY
I've been eyeing this Primer. Would you recommend this for dry skin? If so, what makes it so great!!!!! Thanks in advance :)
Yesenia L.
Visalia, CA
I have normail/combo skin... I'm always afraid of the shimmer making me look oily... somehow this illuminates without shimmer? Will this work well for oily skin?
Leenoy C.
Is this worth the price tag? Does it really make makeup last long?
Sara-Catherine F.
Tupelo, MS
Do y'all like this one or smashbox better?