Austen G.
gilmer, TX
ORIGINAL REVIEW:

This foundation was not my cup of tea. For starters, I found the app very difficult to use and it took me several tries to get it to work.

Second, the shade is horrible and does not match me in the slightest. I'm not surprised by how bad the shade match is considering how hard the app was to use. It is way too dark for me, at least two shades, if not three or four, off. That's not the worst part though, because I could maybe get away with it when tanned, but the undertone is awful! I have rosacea and be warned, if you have redness in your skin they will send you a RED foundation. This foundation is so pink it's insane. I have redness on my face, yes, but I have neutral, leaning yellow, undertones. This has been a struggle when getting my foundation matched in stores as well. Wake up world! Redness does NOT EQUAL pink undertones.

Despite the horrible color match, I decided to try this out to see if maybe the formula could be the one redeeming quality- NOPE! It sucks too. This fits right in with Bare Minerals schtick of being natural though, I guess. Because it's very light coverage. It's not full coverage by any means. Not even medium. It was difficult to even tell on my skin, because all it did was emphasize the redness I was trying to cover... ya know... since they sent me a pink foundation.

I was super disappointed in this and I'm so glad I didn't spend any money on it. I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy.

In the photo you can see this foundation compared to three others I own. Top is Too Faced Born This Way in Snow which is slightly too light for me, second is Marc Jacobs Remarcable in Ivory 12 which is slightly too dark for me and then the bare minerals custom foundation, then on the bottom is NARS All Day Luminous in Gobi which is a perfect shade match for me.

UPDATE:

Bare Minerals offered to send me a new shade since the first one was so far off. After seeing how much they picked up the redness in my skin, I ONLY scanned my wrist this time. For each scan besides the paper, I just scanned the same area on my wrist so that I could have more control of the shade they sent me. I wanted to make sure it wasn't red/pink toned and that it was actually light enough.

This worked out well for me because the new shade was pretty much a perfect match. Having the correct shade I got to give this foundation another chance. I actually really liked the way it looked on my skin the second time I used it (with the correct shade). However, it is VERY LIGHT COVERAGE. My skin was actually pretty clear when I wore it. If I had been more broken out, I don't think this would have worked for me. It actually wore pretty well throughout the day. Since it is so light coverage, it doesn't look cakey at all and looks very natural on the skin.

Overall, I think the app sucks still and I'm wary of its ability to get a correct shade match, but I really liked how it looked on my skin. I think I'll save this for "no makeup" makeup looks and days when my skin doesn't need a full coverage foundation. I probably won't order it again, because I don't think such a light coverage foundation is worth $50.