BY ASPCA #7 in Philanthropy & Volunteering

paige w.
This organization is overlooked as “too sad” for so many people. But it’s the truth and we can’t avoid it. I am a huge animal lover, and it breaks me to see what people all over the world do to these innocent creatures. The ASPCA gives them a voice, and brings awareness to all of the problems in the world. They help support local high-kill shelters, rather than breeders (and save an animals life). They even offer camps for children (I participated in one, and it greatly expanded my love for animals). If you haven’t looked into them, please do. It is not okay what happens to these helpless animals, and they need your help.
Sadie M.
Denver, CO
I am a big animal lover and fully support this charity. I have known about them ever since I was very little. I have donated money in the past and even brought pet food and other items to some of there locations. It's great that they are about the well being of animals.
Abby H.
Hopatcong
Good Samaritan Expert Level 1
I LOVE animals and the fact that they are being taken care of is wonderful. This is a fantastic organization, and I fully support what they do for innocent animals. They deserve more help, because they save so many lives.
Imane A.
El Hajeb
Good Samaritan Expert Level 1
This product is very good wonderful and beautiful i love it i always use it in my home it is my favourite is better than other
Deysy G.
Atlanta
I appreciate this foundation because they help so many animals. They give a voice to so many creatures that dont have one. I would love to volunteer with them
Leidy daliza R.
Doral, FL
Good Samaritan Expert Level 2
I cannot watch these commercials they tear my heart in half. I want to go and get everyone of these animals and bring them home. The ASPCA goes out and literally rescues these animals from abusive owners and they also find strays no one loves. I really like they they do go after the abusers and make them pay for being one of the lowest forms of life on the planet...
Mandy H.
Grand Falls-Windsor
Good Samaritan Expert Level 1
I like in Canada so we don’t have ASPCA we just have SPCA I assume it is similar and I have had several shelter animals. We like to donate food and cleaning items to the SPCA as much as we can.
Sofi G.
New York
I got my bunny from the ASPCA and I’m grateful for her every day. A lot of vets are not great about bunnies so I’m glad that I can go to their clinic when my little fluffy baby needs a shot or medical care.
This is a great place to bring old blankets to and they are always in need of hay and pet food!
PiecesOf C.
Good Samaritan Expert Level 1
Eight years ago, I purchased my first home. Therefore, I wanted to adopted my own pets. I went to my states ASPCA center. While I loved puppies and kittens, I wanted an adult dog that needed a second chance at life. I did some pre-screening online. I found two German Shepards that really got my attention. That weekend, I went to the shelter. I asked for the Shepard’s. I was told that they were already adopted as a pair bc they were siblings. Sad I could adopt one but happy both were adopted and adopted together. Before I could get out another sentence, the Director say “oh you’re looking for a puppy then.”
Me: No. No. I thought the Shepard’s were older. I didn’t know they were puppies. They didn’t look like puppies. I want an older dog.
-Now as I’m telling her this, somehow she either spoke really loud or used some secret button to her colleague or volunteer in the back to bring out a yellow lab puppy. So before I finished “I want an older dog,” this guy comes out with this yellow lab puppy puppy. Like HOW could I resist that?!?!?!?!?!!!!

I was trying to be firm but they didn’t have many older dogs. They only had four other dogs because the rest were out at some adoption event. I wasn’t bonding with any of them. Thus, I took adopted the puppy. As I was waiting for the puppies microchip, which had to come from the vet, I was back in the waiting room with some of the kittens. Now the vets office was only 10minutes away but apparently he was dealing with a pet emergency so no one in his office could drop off the microchips. Plus, the center was short staffed bc the were at the adoption event. So I had to wait it out. While I was, I asked to hold a little black kitten. The Director said, “of course you can!” in the most happy boost full voice.

I seriously waited for an hour. During that time, this little black panther just laid in the nook of arms sleeping. People would let her and she still lay sleeping. People would ask me if I was adopting her and I said yes. I don’t know what I was thinking. I was impulsive!! I just didn’t want anyone else to have her. The Director would give me ETA’s in the microchip and ask me if I was adopting the kitten. I told her I was seriously thinking about it. She said black cats were least to be adopted bc people still believed in silly superstitions and/or thought they were mean. Meanwhile, here’s Nyla purring in my arms.

Another 20 minutes, I’ve had enough waiting. Since the puppy still had another 48 hours of quarantine (by law when new animals enter the shelter). I agreed to pre-adopt her so no one else could claim her and come back to sign all the paper work to make it official at that time. In addition, I ended up adopting Nyla too! They even have me a discount for adopting two (which most shelters do) but I got another discount from Director for having to wait so long and not complaining or asking until I said I was done. So I walked in to adopt an adult dog and came out with a puppy and kitten! Go figure from this modern Snow White. That’s my nickname for my animal stories. I attract them. Injured animals come to me bc they know I’ll take care of them or get them help.

Two days later, I actually got to meet Nyla’s foster mom. She named Nyla and I loved the name so much, I kept it. Nyla is a human trapped in a cats body! She is scary smart. I grew up with many cats and dogs but know like her! She understands everything I say and even talks back. Brat! She’s also a ninja. When I first brought her home, I had to put a collar with bell in it because she would hide in my closets, blend in with my black bookcases or hide behind my picture frames on black bookcase, hide in my pillowcase (yeah that was fun when your about to lay down)! She cracks me in so many ways. (Audrey, the pup, was her best friend. Yes, was. Sadly, Audrey passed away 1month shy of her 3rd bday due to bone cancer in her leg. I learned Audrey’s mom did not come from a home and it disgusts me how her babies were born and raised. I believe that caused her cancer. I’m sorry but it’s still hard to talk about to this day. )

After Audrey, it took me five years to adopt another dog. This time, I rescued one from doggie jail, Animal Control. This time, she is an adult. Actually, a pit bull. A first for me and definitely NOT last. But I’m not here to talk about Georgia today.

During those five years, Nyla was there to comfort me, snuggle with me, listen to me, just be my best friend. When I brought her new sister home, I had hope she would love her like Audrey but nope. She tolerates her but she doesn’t snuggle or play with Georgia and it KILLS Georgia. Georgia gives her kisses and Nyla’s like “gross!” It’s so funny watching them. Nyla is definitely the ruler of the house!

I highly recommend adopting and NOT shopping. You get perfectly good pets!!!
Both of mine are healthy, just get background info on where they came from. If your worried about health, hello Puppy Mills are horrible. Breeder dogs get sick too. If you feed your dog healthy food, exercise it, and take it to the vet for regular exams, just like humans, your dog will be healthy too. Also, immediately after you adopt, schedule an appointment with a vet for a checkup!

ASPCA’s are no kill shelters. They run on limited paid staff, lots of dedicated volunteers, and donation money. Like most non-profits, if they don’t raise money, they can’t keep their no-kill shelters open.

Simples ways to help:
1. Donate money.
——1 time or monthly donations. I volunteer for many organizations and work in non-profit, not this one. I can tell preach, EVERY PENNY HELPS!
2. Donate items.
——-Some people still think donation funds get misused and go to people own wallets. Sadly, there are fraudulent organization that do this. A good/real non-profit will always open their books to show you, the tax payer, where your money is going. If your still uncomfortable with giving money, I say donate items.
On my personal IG account, I follow several cat and pit bull foster accounts from east to west coast and one in Canada. The list of items their respective shelters need is almost identical.
****Bleach, paper towels, litter (any kind), litter pans (no cover, all sizes), litter scoopers, old towels (once a towel gets soiled, they throw it away bc too expensive to launder), blankets, puppy/dog food & kitten/cat food. They might even have a list on the website. If not, call and ask? You can even order items and have them delivered to the shelter. Or items at the dollar store like bleach is super cheap!
3. Volunteer your time or services.
——-Non-profits rely on volunteers for daily operation. They need people to answer phones, clean up, walk dogs, play with cats, educate visitors, etc.

Just start a grooming business and need new customers? Provide your service for free once per month to give dogs a make over. We all know the power of makeup. Well the same can be said for the Power of grooming for a dog. Some people can’t see past the shag.

Budding photographer? Ask if you can take pictures of pets in cute clothes with fun props. Use photoshop for backgrounds. Pets are more likely to get adopted if their true personality is shown. Sure you might want to be the next fashion or wedding photographer but we all have to start at the bottom and work our way up to gain exposure.

Calling all Vets! Offer monthly discount or free spay/neuter services OR checkups.

If you truly love animals, let’s help them! We don’t need to go drastic scary dangerous like PETA, small steps make a huge difference!!!

Also, another great tip. Make sure you have once of these stickers on your window. This will alert Fire Fighters you have animals in the house to rescue. You can request one free sticker per household. You can purchase additional . (I know the picture is backwards. I tried to get front facing image but it read clearly because of the window screen outside.) Also, the sticker is one of those durable plastic ones that can be removed and reapplied as many times.
Hope B.
Good Samaritan Expert Level 1
The ASPCA is one of my favorite charities to donate to. There are so many animals that are mistreated and neglected in this country and this charity is there for them. I know what I donate is put to valuable use in the care for animals that need it the most. I highly recommend donating!
Brittney P.
Weslaco , TX
Don't these commercials just break your heart?
Amber H.
Wyoming, MI
What are good items to donate?
Emily R.
Have you ever adopted from a shelter??
Vanessa C.
Carmichael, CA
Who has adopted their furry friends from the SPCA? Share your story.
Victoria V.
Canoga Park, CA
Do their commercials make you all teary eyed?