BY ASPCA #3 in Philanthropy & Volunteering

Teri A.
Golden Valley, MN
My sister made a small donation to the ASPCA in my son's name as a gift - I think it was $25. He is a huge animal lover (along with everyone else in our home) and wanted to support a charitable organization that worked to prevent cruelty to animals. He received SO MUCH junk mail from them it was absolutely crazy. Of course each thing they sent was trying to solicit more money, but I am quite certain that in the first year they spent far more than $25 to try to get him to donate more. They sent him note cards, labels, gift wrap, a pair of GLOVES, and finally even a small throw blanket! They also sold his name and he received solicitations from at least 10 other nonprofit organizations.
Brenda P.
Waynesville , Missouri
Before I had ASPCA insurance for my cats, I had had VPI (whose deductible was $50 per incident per year) and then Pets Health (whose deductible was the same as ASPCA's, but they never paid ANYthing.
With ASPCA insurance, I have policies that actually are worth something to me - and to my cats, especially now that I am retired and on a fixed income.
One of my most recent issues was with my 14-year-old Siamese cat, Jontue II. In the course of three vet visits during approximately three weeks, I had spent over $900 on his care, including euthanasia at the last visit. My payments from ASPCA totaled more than two thirds of my costs.
I am happy to say that my new kitty, Jontue III, has now been signed up for ASPCA insurance, along with his aunt and uncles.
Thank you for being my pets' friend (and mine),
Travel down the road and back again;
Your heart is true, you're a pal and a confidant.....
Kathleen F.
Good Samaritan Expert Level 3
I am not sure how much money we would have donated to the ASPCA had we not seen the heartbreaking Sarah McLaughlin commercials that seem to always be on. We enjoy sending money to various organizations, with our favorite usually being animal organizations, but I would be lying if I said that those tearjerker commercials they play didn't in some way contribute to the consistency in which we donate to this particular organization.
Amber S.
Fort Stewart, GA
Good Samaritan Expert Level 1
This is a very deceptive organization, and although they do help animals, it isn't nearly on the scope that you probably believe it is. The ASPCA is not actually an umbrella organization, and does not help your local animals. The amount of money they make off of donations is massive in comparison to how much they actually spend on their animals. Please help your local animal welfare programs instead, and please research organizations before donating.
Ashley K.
Overland Park, KS
As a strong advocate for the rights of all animals, the ASPCA is one of the greatest organizations. The abuse and exploitation of animals is senseless and disgusting. The work the ASPCA does for nature's best is amazing, inspiring and admirable. I've done work for the organization and affiliates and it is the most rewarding experience I will ever have. These creatures offer us unconditional love and companionship, it's only right that we give the same back (and in my case plus some!).
RosaMaria P.
Portland , OR
They shouldn't even have ASPCA, how could someone be so mean to a animal. I've known it for years and my grandmother donates $20 to $30 a month. I support them because a dog or a pet needs a loving home. How could you not care about a dog or a cat and have them go through hell while being beaten and harmed. How would you like it, If someone terrorized you and you couldn't stand up to them and you just wanted love. That's how these animals feel. They also rescue horses and more.
Jennifer S.
Tonawanda, NY
I went to my local SPCA in August wanting to adopt a dog. Thy have a wonderful program called "Pet Connect", where you pay $100 and list all the breeds you are interested in. I must have spent about 2 hours looking around and decided I would come back. About 20 minutes after I left, I received a call saying they had a dog breed that I was looking for. It was love at first sight. My husband came down and we took him home the same day! So glad we adopted him! He's a 2.5 year old Bichon. We named him "Darwin". He's grown a lot since that picture into a happy and healthy dog. (I wish I could upload more than one picture to show the progress).
Kristina P.
El Cajon , Ca
I dislike, loathe, and have no respect for people who harm defenseless and innocent animals. I feel that if you can't take of an animal and treat them the way they are suppose to be. then you shouldn't adopt, buy, breed or how ever you choose to get an animal then you don't need to own a pet. When I hear about animals being tied up 24/7 to a post, or lives in a cage I get so angry. That's why I support the ASPCA for doing a good job in protecting the animals and taking them out of horrible conditions and situations. Thank You ASPCA for helping the voiceless because I consider my pets like family and don't know what I would do without them.
James A.
Sumter, SC
We adopted our dog from the SPCA, and they did a great job matching us with a dog that fit our personality and lifestyle. It's always great to rescue instead of buying. Alot of these animals just need a second chance in a good home situation. Not all have been abused or rescued, some have been brought in by people who can't afford to take care of them or are moving somewhere they can't take their pet. The adoption fees are affordable, and usually a lot cheaper than buying a pet from a pet store. They come up to date on shots, heartworm checks, fixed, and looking for a good home. Please check here first if you're looking to get a new pet
Teresa R.
The ASPCA is a great organization. They're out there everyday, trying to do as much as they can for the animals. They have a lot of programs for education and awareness that are great- check out their websites for tips and tricks for common behavioral problems, and a host of other animal-related issues. Plus, they have a great spay/neuter clinic in my area that offers a low-cost option for low-income families, and making sure pets are spayed and neutered is so, so important. The ASPCA provides a ton of other good services for pets and feral animals, and I'm so grateful this organization exists.
Brittney P.
Don't these commercials just break your heart?
Amber H.
Wyoming, MI
What are good items to donate?
Emily R.
Have you ever adopted from a shelter??
Vanessa C.
Carmichael, CA
Who has adopted their furry friends from the SPCA? Share your story.
Victoria V.
Canoga Park, CA
Do their commercials make you all teary eyed?