Heather M.
Heather M.
How much of a donation ( $$ wise) goes directly to the animals? I adore this charity and donate when prompted at stores, but curious at the percentage.
Rebecca B.
Rebecca B.
Mesa, Az
4 years, 1 month ago
It kind of depends on how you interpret "going directly to the animals". While there is a lot of money that goes into the operations of the shelters themselves, that money is going to benefit the animals in the end. Power, for example, ensures air conditioning and heating for the kennels. The shelter I've worked with uses extensive volunteer labor to ensure that as many animals as possible can be saved. Having said that, per charitynavigator.org the ASPCA spends about 36% of it's overall budget on fundraising. The local SPCAs spend quite a bit less then that. (Mine limits it's fundraising expenses to 10% of it's total budget). All of the rest of the money goes either directly to support the animals or to support outreach and educational programs that can prevent future cruelty. If you are concerned about where the money is going, you can always donate directly to your local SPCA, drop off goods (toys, collars, leashes, blankets) or better yet volunteer.
Tabitha S.
Tabitha S.
4 years, 4 months ago
I usually donate food or specific supplies/products that I know they need so I know the donation is going directly to the animals.
Deborah Ann N.
Deborah Ann N.
Cairo, GA
4 years, 11 months ago
It depends on the Shelter, if it is City owned or independent.
Jamie J.
Jamie J.
Victor, NY
4 years, 11 months ago
It does depend on the shelter, the capacity, and the need.
Laddyanne O.
Laddyanne O.
Springfield, MA
DEPENDS
Jannette C.
Jannette C.
Raleigh, NC
4 years, 11 months ago
I don't know the answer, but I honestly feel like not enough goes back. I constantly receive "donation incentives" in the mail, like note pads, address labels, etc., and see the commercials where the offer clothing and tote bags to those who donate. I wish they wouldn't waste the money providing incentives. If you're going to donate, you're going to do it strictly because of your love of animals and not because you get free stuff! The money could be better used providing health care or better homes for these animals. Not on us silly humans!!
Katherine F.
Katherine F.
Tucson, AZ
5 years ago
I was told by the volunteer when I adopted from the SPCA that 90% percent of the adoption fee goes right back to the animals! Worth every penny :)
Tyla G.
Tyla G.
Mesquite, TX
5 years ago
Depending on the town and the aspca i believe almost 100% goes towards them but ask to varify
Kerry H.
Kerry H.
Long Beach, CA
5 years ago
it depends on the where you live but you can ask when you donate!
Donna S.
Donna S.
Wake Forest, NC
5 years ago
You would have to check with your local branch. The one in my county 75% goes directly to them