Liz T.
Saint Petersburg
In my childhood you were either a Crest kid or a Colgate kid. There were no other choices. For your cleaning the dentist had Batman Orange or Robin Cherry. There were no whiteners, flavors, breath fresheners, or tartar crushers. So except for a brief fling with Close-Up Cinnamon in the 80s I was a committed, monogamous Colgate gal. So imagine my feeling of betrayal when my connubial Crest husband came home with a 4-pack of Arm & Hammer Truly Radiant Toothpaste. It was Switzerland, he said, a neutral compromise. Arm & Hammer, I said. That’s what I use to deodorize the fridge and the litter box. And the man wanted me to put it in my mouth. Could a cake ingredient clean and whiten my teeth? Could I end a 45-year boring but comfortable toothpaste relationship? I had to admit the salty-savory taste and the compoundish gritty texture were compelling, and I felt a bit rebellious. Yes, queen, yes. It was love at first brush. This was not a one-tube affair. It was giving me feels I needed- a rock-n-roll experience, polished teeth and a whitened enamel I hadn’t seen in years. If you’re in a dentine rut, do yourself a huge and cheat on your current tube. Enjoy the rush.