BY ARCHITECTURAL DIGEST #18 in Magazines & Newspapers

• I work as a commercial interior designer. I'm wondering if this w...2 Answers
  • How realistic are the designs to what you can put in your house? 4 Answers
John S.
I guess I haven't seen the illustrated issue with Audrey Hepburn on the cover, and the red borders. The red is kind of making me freak out, because Architectural Digest is famous for its never, never changing design with its white-bordered covers. It's a great magazine for both the middle-class fantasist, as well as the ultra-posh design professional. Some of the most interesting material can be the background articles at the "front of the book," as opposed to the lush profiles of apartments and houses in the middle of the book. The background articles can be about obscure designers, travel, art collecting, etc. I especially appreciate learning about old-world craftsmanship--ateliers in South America that make elaborate gilded bronze furniture mounts, or an English wood carver who can create mind-boggling lime wood carvings in the style of 17th-century masters like Grinling Gibbons. I'll have to win the lottery to ever hire these folks, but Architectural Digest has made it all very easy for me when I do....
Anna M.
Lynnwood, WA
I used to subscribe to this and occasionally, still pick up their special edition issues here and there. I love when they do the celebrity home editions, because it's always a mix of modern movie stars and stars from the Golden Age of Hollywood, which makes it such a fun magazine to flip through and read. They have great photographs of rooms and architecture to aspire for. It is a pricey magazine, but if you're diligent with checking out second hand bookstores - like Half Price Books - they have previous months' issues. That's how I've found the special edition issues for about $2 an issue, which is a deal!
Jennifer B.
This magazine's content always hit the balance between tactical designs I can incorporate into my immediate surroundings - and aspirational ideas to use in future redecorating projects.

There's also enough celebrity features to add a whimsical element to the magazine's content, without veering into the territory of being a fan-based tabloid.
Jessica E.
Greenville, SC
I ordered a subscription of this magazine for my husband, who is a Landscape Architect. He thought it might be an interesting publication to keep up with any new things going on in the world of Architecture in general. Unfortunately, it is really more of a design magazine, with a lot of interior design. It is nice if you have a high-end type budget, but for all intents and purposes it is not really practical for those who are not professional designers.
Leigh-Anne H.
Stoneham, MA
I picked up an issue of this the other day at Barnes & Noble and was glad I perused through it before buying. I would think that an interior design magazine might show some helpful hints for those of us not working on Rodeo Drive. Wrong! I couldn't even get past eh advertisements without wanting to roll my eyes at the superiority complex of it all. Nice design ideas, but little to no solid explanation on how to design with a fair price in mind.
jenn b.
syracuse, NY
always spotlighting new trends in a classy way with the best designs and products. I personally love the timelessness of their stories and spreads and the emphasis on architecturally beautiful homes- a lot of what you see today is ikea, etsy, target, Pinterest inspired homes. not in architectural digest.
Katherine M.
I am an Interior Architecture student and get this magazine for no charge. I do not read it often, but it is nice to sit down and look through to catch up on new trends and see what the latest designers are up to. It does not appeal to one style, but celebrates a broad range of styles.
Amanda M.
Pittsburgh , Pa
I always look forward to recieving the newest issue! I collect the issues as well, and have every issue from 1972-2016! I do have a subscription and have had one for years. The latest trends and ideas are fun to read about and keep in touch with. I would certainly recommend!
Christine P.
Love this magazine. Gives great ideas for spaces both small and large and also how to price together a home that you enjoy. I find a lot of other magazines clutter the showcase rooms and photos but this company streamlines and is less about materialism and more about if it's useful or beautiful.
Katie M.
I dream of owning a home that gets featured in AD magazine. They're always fabulous and sometimes opulent. It's nice to sit with a cup of tea and browse the different home interiors and flooring plans. I love to draw inspiration from the articles for my little modest house.
Shauna E.
Poughkeepsie, NY
How realistic are the designs to what you can put in your house?
Melissa B.
Royal Oak, MI
I work as a commercial interior designer. I'm wondering if this would be a valuable investment for myself and my work?