BY ANCESTRY.COM

AncestryDNA is a cutting edge DNA testing service that utilizes some of the latest autosomal testing technology to revolutionize the way you discover your family history. This service combines advanced DNA science with the world's largest online family history resource to predict your genetic ethnicity and help you find new family connections. It maps ethnicity going back multiple generations and provides insight into such possibilities as: what region of Europe are my ancestors from, or am I likely to have East Asian heritage? AncestryDNA can also help identify relationships with unknown relatives through a dynamic list of DNA matches.

• Has anyone thought about getting a Ancestry DNA test done...13 Answers
  • I wanna know if the DNA testing is accurate to your backg...2 Answers
  • How accurate is ancestry?2 Answers
Reviews (1939)
  • "I really wish I could get more use out of this app/service, but if you have a common last name & don't already know a significant amount about your family tree, you're not going to find much out." in 3 reviews
  • "I looked up my family tree and learned a little bit about my families history." in 1 review
  • "I was not able to go back further in my family tree because my family did not migrate to the US until later so the timeline did not provide me any juicy detail." in 1 review
Lois F.
Bridgeport, OH
Wellness Guru Expert Level 1
I did the DNA and found out most of my family was wrong lol my sister and I thought we're probably gonna be boring lol however we were shocked. Definitely a Heinz 57 going on lol found out I was Western European, Irish, Scandinavian, Iberain peninsula (Portuguese), Italian, southern Asian (India, Nepal, Pakistan) Northern Russian, Native American, Northern African. Not only that ancestry.com connected me to two of my aunts on my father's side I had no clue about also several second cousins this is very cool you will learn your family you will meet your family you'll know that you have family that you didn't know you had it's very very neat. I recommend this for EVERYONE
Kaitlin A.
Fort Gordon, GA
Myself and dozens of family members are all tested on Ancestry's DNA service. I find it to be the most accurate for genealogy purposes, as they have the largest database and the best family tree linking service. I test all new family members on AncestryDNA, even my 8 year old son! I was able to confirm several family stories, and find my great grandmother's parents (she was adopted) Its a great product!
Desiree H.
Ft Oglethorpe, GA
The following opinions are mine and mine alone. My boyfriend always wondered where his roots were from and he was pretty sure it was Ireland so I saved up some money and for his birthday I bought both of us a kit to find out where we were from because I also had heard different things about my lineage. He was very excited when we got it and we both found out what parts of the world our bloodline came from and we were very similar in that. It was very interesting because they sent us information on what went on in each part of the world where we had blood come from so that you knew the history of what went on back in time and learned how you may have ended up where you ended up. It's very interesting.. the only downside is the cost, it if you have the free money it's a good investment.
Kailah L.
North Little Rock
I signed up for AncestryDNA a while back. It took them forever to send the kit and forever to process it. The entire process took a little over 2 months the first time. I say the first time because after the two month wait, they said they had to re-do the entire process. The first test was inconclusive. So we started all the way over. 2 more months later, I got my results. I knew a bit about my history prior to taking the test. I knew I was part Seminole Native American, but the test gave NO Native percentage whatsoever. After talking to some friends, we realized that AncestryDNA doesn’t give a Native American percentage at all. I feel cheated. If ADNA omits things, who’s to say it’s accurate? How do I know they didn’t just make up something? I’m disappointed.
Renae J.
Coralville, IA
I’ve had fairly good luck wit him ancestry. One of my complaints would be that other DNA services have found my relatives exactly to a T. For instance my grandma shows up as a cousin on AncestryDNA but every other site I have entered DNA on has accurately chosen grandmother. The price is rough if you don’t get a good deal but they run deals all the time. It’s still a tad cheaper than a couple of services out there. I have been able to find thousands of records to help expand my family tree and have linked back one side of my family very far. The other side of my family came here in the early 1900’s so I’m hoping they continue to add more world records to the database so that I can track back to Poland and Lithuania.
Ruheyyah S.
Detroit, MI
Wellness Guru Expert Level 1
This may not work for everyone I did not have the funding for this they make you put in alot of family information and your information than they put up alot of people with that same year or name it may not even be the person you are looking for ,if it's Helen so and so 1935 all Helen so and so will pop up it could be up to 100 /200 Helens from different states or countries you have to go through every one. They say if you need any more info put in your credit card and it is supposed to be free sad face I was so mad
Melissa T.
I've been using ancestry.com for about 5 years. I had the DNA test done 2 years ago. I've been pretty happy with the amount of information that Ancestry gives me access to. My issue is more with blocks in my own tree, rather than Ancestry not having enough information. The DNA tests are the same on any site and depending on your ancestry, the results will be more or less specific (i.e. what countries your ancestors are from). My only issue with Ancestry is that I think it's a bit expensive and they when they autorenew your subscription, you can't get a refund if you cancel after the fact. So if you're going to do it, make sure you stay on top of your renewal!
Amber W.
Springtown, TX
Wellness Guru Expert Level 2
Great website to get a glance of some of one's family tree. They even offer genetic testing. A little pricey and not the most accurate (it can't test the bloodline of your whole family, only gives you a glimpse of a couple of relatives in your past, therefore it's only a glimpse of part your makeup). Still a cool concept.
Laken R.
It was nice to have a breakdown for the most part on which parts of the world my heritage comes from, but there were a few gray areas that didn't narrow things down much. Price wasn't bad for the DNA test but having to pay additionally to get information based on the relatives you enter was a bummer. It also isn't helpful they've monopolized other sites so that you have to go through them.
Sarah O.
Bradley Beach, NJ
This was one of the best ideas for getting all the information I could compile together before my grandmother passed away. She was the source of telling me all the names of the individuals my family that I would not have resources for. I found so many things online about people I didn't know about and this was a great source I only stopped it to save money every month but when you put a stop payment it's not like you lose your sign into all the information that you stay so far is saved on line so when you want to start back up you
Dominike H.
Folsom , CA
Has anyone thought about getting a Ancestry DNA test done? Ancestry.com
Rachael W.
Titusville, FL
Anyone else wish it cost less?
valeria d.
El paso, TX
How accurate is this ? Can u search in Mexico documents too
Iris R.
BROOKLYN, NY
Is this any good? It is true?
Trista K.
akron, OH
How do you know if this is legit?