BY ANASTASIA BEVERLY HILLS #77 in Eyeshadow Palettes

An essential eye shadow collection, Anastasia Beverly Hills Subculture Palette features 14 shades that range from grungy mattes to bold metallics with an underground edge. Complement to best-selling Modern Renaissance Palette.

Full pigment and easy-to-blend formula
14 shades with ultra-matte, duo chrome and metallic finishes

• So much drama with this pallet! The colors are Beautiful, but is ...3 Answers
Buy on Sephora*
Nicole A.
Las Vegas , NV
So I'm going to give as much of an in-depth review of this palette as best as I can with tips and tricks on how I personally use it as well!!
Normally I would of bought Subculture as soon as it launched,however my finances have been tight due to a number of life issues!! Even after it launched and all the negativity behind the palette came out, it still did not change my mind, it made me more anxious to try it out for myself🤗🤗
So to start i want to express that the matte shades are indeed soft pressed pigments 100%, I've worked with matte loose pigments many times and compared them to MAC Pigment Colour Powder Eye Shadow Teal (for Women) and MAC Cosmetics MAC Pigment ~Brash & Bold~ 4.5 G among quite a few other loose Mac matte pigments I do own!!! I used These 2 for reference because they are similar in shade range!!
Now in the Subculture palette these shades are inspired by a grunge look which I totally get in the concept and set up of the palette.
With that being said most of the matte shades are dark in tone especially Axis (dirty teal) Rowdy ( dirty eggplant) Destiny ( dirty olive) and so on!!
Adorne and electric are so unique both shimmer shades that are stunning and perform amazing for a halo eye or right under the brow bone for a pop of unique shimmer!!😄😄
Now I'm going to explain just how I made this palette My Woman lol!!
1st of being soft pressed pigments you have to be careful of just how you go about getting the product on your brush, if these were loose pigments and I just dove right into the jar with the brush a disaster would occur😮😮 That disaster being a huge mess all over my face and eye lids!!!
So think of this palette in the same aspect be careful just lightly tap your brush because these colors are 100% pure and super soft!!!
Now I personally prime my eye 1st with
Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion and then I lay down a thin layer of NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in milk and sheer it down with a flat shader brush all over my lids
Next I take a Chikuhodo brush from the passion series it's a rather large blending brush you can view it on Beautylish.com and take a shade from the palette and softly run it up through my crease to the corner of the eye, I do not have fallout from any of the shades except All-star which is a difficult shade when used in the crease!!
Then I take another Chikuhodo brush from the AF series #5 and pick another shade to apply on the lid, again I go it lightly but use more of a patting motion for the lid itself!!!
Now here is where it gets tricky but only my opinion, I do not recommend using more then 2 of the matte shades in this palette for a completed look!! I say this because pigments applied in to many different colors at a time will result in a muddy looking crease and will pull from each other and oxidize!!! This happens with loose pigments as well not just the Subculture palette.
With this palette I find the darker shades work the best on the lids only as i find the lighter ones to work quite well in the crease which is different from how you would use a traditional palette!!
When working with the darker shades as strictly lid colors I recommend just slightly dampening your brush and use a patting motion rather then a sweeping motion.
For the shimmer shades I recommend laying down
L Too Faced Glitter Glue Shadow Primer 1st in the exact spot you want to use them in and also apply in a patting motion, I find a detail brush works best for this it really picks up product and places it exact!!!
I have a few cons with this palette though, 1st being the color cube ( the shimmer pink) it hardly shows up no matter how you use it, also with all star ( the dirty burgandy) The color when swatched and in the pan looks completely different from the way it appears on the eye it pulls so much more brown🤔🤔
Overall this palette may be challenging to some and easier for others!!
I think it's unique and something I will continue to use on a regular basis!!😎😎😎 The shades I pointed to with the arrows are my absolute FAVORITE ( wait till you play with the oranges!!!)
Patricia A.
So I bought this palette on the initial release date because I was so impressed with Modern Renaissance, that I didn't want to miss out on this one. The colors are lovely and not like anything I had in my collection. I wish I would've waited because by now, I'm sure everyone knows that the reviews are less that stellar. When I received the palette, I thought maybe I could make it work, but sadly all the negative things people had mentioned about it, applied to my palette as well. The main things I had problems with were the powery-ness, the shimmers, and the shades oxidizing.
So as far as the powdery-ness, Modern Renaissance has some pretty noticable kick-back too, but I dont think it was as bad as this palette. I pushed that fact aside though and just tapped into the pans very lightly from then on since it was something I could easily work my way around. Now, there's only three shimmer shades in the palette. Cube, Electric, and Adorn. Adorn is a bronze shade that is very lovely, but I find the formula to be very thick and easiest to apply with my finger, which I normally don't like doing. Cube is a color that appears to be white, but it has a really pretty purple-pink sheen to it when swatched. I love this shade, but I found it super hard to work with. I swatched it a total of two times when I first received my palette and after the second swatch, the shadow started to get hard (almost like when you wet your brush and dip straight into a shadow) which was incredibly annoying since I only swatched with my finger. The same exact thing happened with Electric, which is a shimmery lime green shade. Overall, I thought the shimmer shades were so pretty, but the formula of these were completely different than Modern Renaissance, and not at all easy to work with like the ones from their previous palette.
Lastly, some of the matte shades oxidize when applied to the lid. I found this to be mostly true for the yellow shades. Once I try to blend them in or together, they appear to become darker and don't look anything like they did in the pan.
My final verdict was that although I'm able to use some of these shadows, I'm paying to be able to use all of them, and not just some. There's a good chance that I won't even touch this palette in the near future because there's just too much work that needs to go into using these shadows. I have other palettes that blend like a dream and go on the way they should.
Alisha S.
Longmont
I’m one of those people who actually  love this palette. Sure, the formula is different than the Modern Renaissance palette  but I was still able to use it effectively. I think that using a soft bristled brush is the best way to use the shadows in this palette do to the fact its super pigmented and has a powder texture but that also just ensures you that this is so pigmented,witch is nice but i hate when you have a pallet that forms holes due to the pressed pigment. These are so pigmented that you need a very light hand to use this palette. I think that the metallic shades are the most beautiful and i usaly dont wear those types of colors :) i love a hit of electric under my brow its a little pop that adds to ur look  I sometimes have issues with the rowdy and axis shades but that’s okay i just think there dark and hrad to blend well but that just me  I don’t use them that often either so its still new to me. You just have to work with this palette the dawn is a great base color for a every day look give a a natural start. I would recommend this palette to someone who want to step there eye shadow game up and try highly pigmented colors that last all day and then some ;D  me when i for get to take my make off at night. :D still bomb in the morning -
Elizabeth C.
Louisville, KY
Oh my lord! Is this palette a heart breaker or what? Geez! So these colors and this palette as a whole is just amazing. For once we have some unique colors through and through that aren't like almost every palette released. the past couple years especially. They are all true to pan and very beautiful. So many gorgeous and unique looks can be created. And even if you've spent over 8 grand at Sephora this past year and a half like I have chances are pretty good that you don't own the majority of these colors.
Now when I say all of these colors are true to pan, I mean that. When they are applied alone or even for the most part they totally do. But there are those colors that oxidize into dark, weird colors when blended into other colors. Its totally weird. Specifically some of the medium dark colors. This is evident in the jefree star first impressions video. It didn't happen so badly to me but it did happen a bit. It can work out like if that was what you were going for and going to do but it's not always fun having it change when you're expecting one certain thing.
Now the packaging is pretty. Its exactly like the modern renaissance with the velvety top cover that just pops open and shut with no clicking. Maybe a little magnetic closure going on. But its not something I would feel totally comfortable travelling with although I do believe it would be possible if you were careful.
And the very worst part about this palette? The kick up of powder. Oh my goodness! Is this ridiculous or what? Now when I was researching this palette I noticed there was a lot of hate over this fact. But then I seen the brand founders daughter saying it was a pressing issue anx that they were fixing it. So I thought maybe they already have. Also, I know powders are finely milled in high end makeup and so you have to use a light hand. That one girl who kept swirling her brush around and "hit pan" on first use is crazy. That would never happen during normal use with a light hand.
It does however make a tiny pile of loose powder wherever you dab lightly with your brush. Because of this I do believe your palette will go much quicker than usual, and in turn you're wasting a ton of product having to tap off your brush with every dip of the brush no matter how light your touch is.
The colors last a good while on their own. They obviously work even better with a primer or concealer base. You can probably get about 8 hours of wear before a serious touch up is needed. Even more so if you're not ridiculously oily.
Overall I really do like this palette and won't be returning it. It does have some major issues, but that's nothing I can't work around. It's not like it's a 150 dollar palette.
The quality did really fall here for the Modern Renaissance sister palette between the two though. That's something you need to be aware of in making your choice.
Overall I wouldn't recommend this palette. Especially to a beginner or someone who's not completely comfortable "making it work." Really the only person I'm recommending this palette to is the people like me who absolutely love and need the color scheme because you don't own them already and know what you're doing with makeup application for the most part.
Tiffany T.
Florida
For context - I've been wanting this palette since it was announced partially based on my experience with Modern Renaissance and partially because I don't have a lot of similar shades to the ones that come in it. After hearing the negativity I was a little concerned, but bought it anyway. I don't agree with the negative reception at all. If I don't have to frantically swirl my brush around a pan to pick up color, I view that as a positive thing. With these pans, just touching the brush to each color is enough to get great color pay off; I don't think that's a bad thing because you're technically using less product than you would with a palette you have to dig into. The shadows last as well as most other palettes I've used, though I tend to use primer or concealer underneath anyway. I love the color selection but I think you have to understand which colors are going to blend together because whereas with the MR pallette the colors are all in the same family so you don't have to be as selective. This is neither a good nor a bad thing to me. I feel that I can easily create a look using just Subculture, or I can partner them with shades from others. It's also nice to have a variety because you can definitely get more looks out of it. The only negative point for me is that there isn't a shade in it that I can really use as a blending neutral, as the lightest color has a (really beautiful, but not always what I need) color shift, and the next lightest shade is too dark for my pale skin. However I have tons of neutrals in other palettes so getting yet another beige is not really my priority. Also a lot of the colors in this palette stand strong on their own. Lots of potential for a bold monochrome look. I'm a huge fan of the two yellow shades and the orangey one blended into eachother! Overall I'm really pleased with this palette.
Qiana W.
Warren , MI
There has been so much controversy surrounding this one palette in the past weeks with some people loving it and others just hating it. I'll never let anyone's opinion cloud my judgement so I had to give this palette a try for myself.
*DISCLAIMER*
_
I was not sent this palette & all thoughts are of my own!!
_
This palette retails for $42 USD and can be found at Sephora, Ulta Beauty, Macy's, ABH website & Beautylish.
_
First off I need to say this palette is absolutely beautiful! I love the packaging on this palette, as this is my first ABH palette. Now you get a total of 14 shades (11 mattes & 3 Metallics) that are just the perfect shades for fall. The shadows in this palette are HIGHLY pigmented and a little goes a long way when it come to blending/building. This is not a palette that you just swirl your brush in to pick up pigment. Simply lightly tapping your brush into the shadows give you enough pigmented to work with. With that being said I want to address some things that was asked on my Snapchat.
_
Did your colors mix together and make a new color? Ans: No
Did yours oxidize? Ans: No, it absolutely did not.
Were they patchy and hard to blend? Ans: I noticed that when I held my brush a certain way yes it made the colors harder to blend out. I've learned holding my brush towards the end of the brush (no so close to the brush hairs) made it much easier to blend out and have a smoother look.
Do you think this palette is beginner friendly? Ans: not really. I don't think any beginner should be purchasing a $42 palette without actually knowing how to blend/build and use a light hand.
_
There's not much more that I can say except that I love this palette and it will become one of my staple palettes for the fall time. I hope my review helped anyone who was thinking of purchasing this palette if you have anymore questions you can leave them below I'll be happy to answer them.
Anastassia G.
Stanwood, WA
I am NOT mad at the subculture palette at all! And this is without a primer!!! I was blessed with this palette for my birthday and i am so pleased with the look i got out of it today, yes you need to be patient, yes there will be cleanup so do your eyes first, don't use a brush for more then one color, you'll end up messy and muddy looking, pack in each color individually then blend....Honestly I really think that a lot of people that had issues with the blending and patchiness and stuff with this product probably are using the wrong primer or had too much foundation caked over their eyelid. this went on beautifully with absolutely no primer cuz i was too excited to play and there was also no oxidation for me. I really think this palette didn't deserve the negative crap they are getting from the masses, even tati s latest video was kinda snooty with her sarcastic, "can't sit at our table" gif joke... don't get me wrong, I love tati, but come on, a real makeup artist should have been able to make this palette work... I did and I'm a nobody. Anyways I'm in love and there's no regrets for my birthday request in getting this unique wonder. #abh #subculture #anastasiabeverlyhills #mua #oilslick #blend #patience #colorclearsthemind #bored #play #makeupisart #makeupcrazy
Jillian A.
Covington, LA
I decided to purchase this palette despite all of the negative reviews and backlash this received in youtube from various people. The colors seemed so unique to what I have in my collection already and very much like the perfect tones to have for some great fall looks. I surprisingly enough I ended up LOVING this palette! It has insane pigmentation, and isn't a palette for heavy handed application techniques or beginners. I am definitely not a beginner and normally apply my shadows with a light hand and build up my colors and blend everything so that its seamless. You also need to mindful​ of color theory, but this is a beautiful palette! If you use this correctly you can get so stunning looks! While it isn't perfect, I think this palette is way more workable than it was made out to be and the looks I've gotten with it, I absolutely love. Some of my favorite shades are roxy, axis, all-star, new wave, untamed ect. I will say you definitely need to apply the duo chrome shades with a wet brush and they need to be built up, unfortunately those shades are somewhat lackluster in comparison to the rest of the palette. Yes there is kickback but I also only have to dip my brush in to get full pigment on my brush. The mattes are again very pigmented and very soft. I agree that you shouldn't have tp change your method of application/brushes for 1 palette but if you like these shades its worth a little more effort for the pay off. I love the looks I've made and will continue to use this palette in rotation with my others. Especially this fall.
Sonja A.
Maine
I love this palette. It can be difficult and it does have flaws but overall I'm extremely happy I purchased it. First off the shades are right up my alley and a nice deviation from a market flooded with warm tones brown/red palettes. It has great pigmentation and a little goes a very long way. You just need to slightly tap your brush in the color and you'll have plenty.

The issues, some shades are hard to blend, though not all. Because of the soft formula there is a decent amount of fallout but if you use a light hand it's really no different than any other palette. There is definitely a learning curve to this. I wouldn't recommend it for beginners. Not because they won't know how to use it, I think anyone can learn how to use makeup, but because if you're just starting out you may become more frustrated with this because it can be difficult causing you to give up on makeup in general.

The shades Cube, Axis, and Rowdy are all difficult. They either don't pick up and apply well (Cube) or their very difficult to blend out (Axis and Rowdy). Every other color in the palette has worked like a dream for me! I've been able to create a lot of fun looks with this and I'm excited to have it going into the fall given the shade range.
Kara N.
Kent, OH
Dun, dun, dun!!! The infamous and much talked about subculture palette! Well, I know this palette from Anastasia has gotta a LOT of heat, but I'm giving it 4 stars and I'm going to tell you why.

I'm going to start off with this palette is absolutely not for beginners. It is not a quick and easy to work with palette. But if you're experienced, know what you're doing, and have the time and patience to work with these shades, you can really create some incredible looks.

The only shade I've stayed away from due to having issues with it blending out and not being, well, just really weird is Rowdy. Every other shade has really worked nicely for me. I used soft bristled, synthetic brushes when using this palette. I also only dip ONCE into the eyeshadow pan. This palette is PIGMENTED, you guys. And it's easier to build than to try to blend something crazy out. So start small, and add to it as needed.

The glitter shades are simply stunning. I find myself finding excuses to add Electric to my look. Every. Single. Day.

Just be cautious with this palette guys. It's truly a gem and I find myself reaching for it several times a week. I've used it on myself and my clientele and haven't had a devastating situation like I've seen on YouTube. I will definitely be buying this again and will continue to use this palette!

Samantha B.
Subculture or Modern Renaissance ?
Haley M.
Which is better? Modern Renaissance or Subculture?
EMMSAYS M.