BY ANASTASIA BEVERLY HILLS #65 in Eyeshadow Palettes

An essential eye shadow collection, Anastasia Beverly Hills Subculture Palette features 14 shades that range from grungy mattes to bold metallics with an underground edge. Complement to best-selling Modern Renaissance Palette.

Full pigment and easy-to-blend formula
14 shades with ultra-matte, duo chrome and metallic finishes

Buy on Sephora*
Kaily B.
Kaily B.
Review for: Anastasia Beverly Hills Subculture Eye Shadow Palette
A few facts before we get into my experience: I ordered mine from the ABH website the day it was launched and I've had it for a week.  I've used every single shade multiple times and I've used a few different primers.  I work full time so my thoughts are based upon leaving for work at 9 am and how my shadows look when I get home at 8 pm.  I'm not a makeup artist and I have normal people makeup skills.  I also have normal lids and shadows rarely crease or fade on me and I have a fair complexion with cool undertones (0.5 in Urban Decay Naked Skin).   Finally, I exclusively use synthetic brushes (so this may affect my experience vs. yours) because of my choice to support Cruelty Free beauty (I know there are companies who claim to make CF animal hair brushes, but at this current point I'm not comfortable with that).  Andddddddd the Modern Renaissance is my favorite palette of all time even though I prefer cool tones which I think speaks to the quality of that palette.  My Experience: The Subculture predominately pulls warm on my light-cool complexion.  I'm not sure if this is because they oxidize or just how their extreme pigmentation shows up on my fair/cool skin but quite a few shades do look different on me than they do in the pan.  This isn't an all inclusive palette for me because there isn't a shadow that is light enough to highlight with for my complexion (the white is a cream-ish textured shadow that does not have very good pigmentation and has a pink shift in the pan and looks like pink glitter on my skin).  Beyond that I feel the shade range is very cohesive and I can create multiple looks using just this palette (plus a single to highlight).   That having been said, this is NOT the same quality as the MR.  The ingredients are not the same (with an emphasis being on the switch from a Mica to a Talc base, but just in general as well) and they do not apply (drier, patchier and harder to blend) the same or last the same (I notice more wear throughout the day and movement on my lower-lashline/outer corner thanks to my watery eyes).  I don't know why ABH changed the formula, I'm not a scientist, but it's a valid fact that I feel needs to be addressed by the brand (we expected a sister palette... so why doesn't she have the same DNA?).  Also, as I'm sure you've heard, the shadows are much more powdery than the shadows in the MR (although that isn't something that bothers me personally as I just tap my brushes into the product and dust off the excess).  I have not experienced any shadows cracking or falling out of their pans and I have not hit pan with just a few uses as some have mentioned on YouTube and Instagram.  I also don't have any issues with the shadows getting muddy (except maybe as they fade closer towards the end of the day).  I do like this palette... but I also think it's hard to work with.  As a a full time worker and a mom with 2 small kids, I don't think this will be a palette that I personally will get a lot of use from because I really don't have time for it's bs... yet I'm still glad that I have it for days when I do.  I hope this helps!  Oh!  For anyone who is curious my palette is from the P7 batch.  I don't personally buy into the "different batch = different quality" conspiracy theory, but I know some people are curious :-D
Patricia A.
Patricia A.
Review for: Anastasia Beverly Hills Subculture Eye Shadow Palette
So I bought this palette on the initial release date because I was so impressed with Modern Renaissance, that I didn't want to miss out on this one. The colors are lovely and not like anything I had in my collection. I wish I would've waited because by now, I'm sure everyone knows that the reviews are less that stellar. When I received the palette, I thought maybe I could make it work, but sadly all the negative things people had mentioned about it, applied to my palette as well. The main things I had problems with were the powery-ness, the shimmers, and the shades oxidizing.
So as far as the powdery-ness, Modern Renaissance has some pretty noticable kick-back too, but I dont think it was as bad as this palette. I pushed that fact aside though and just tapped into the pans very lightly from then on since it was something I could easily work my way around. Now, there's only three shimmer shades in the palette. Cube, Electric, and Adorn. Adorn is a bronze shade that is very lovely, but I find the formula to be very thick and easiest to apply with my finger, which I normally don't like doing. Cube is a color that appears to be white, but it has a really pretty purple-pink sheen to it when swatched. I love this shade, but I found it super hard to work with. I swatched it a total of two times when I first received my palette and after the second swatch, the shadow started to get hard (almost like when you wet your brush and dip straight into a shadow) which was incredibly annoying since I only swatched with my finger. The same exact thing happened with Electric, which is a shimmery lime green shade. Overall, I thought the shimmer shades were so pretty, but the formula of these were completely different than Modern Renaissance, and not at all easy to work with like the ones from their previous palette.
Lastly, some of the matte shades oxidize when applied to the lid. I found this to be mostly true for the yellow shades. Once I try to blend them in or together, they appear to become darker and don't look anything like they did in the pan.
My final verdict was that although I'm able to use some of these shadows, I'm paying to be able to use all of them, and not just some. There's a good chance that I won't even touch this palette in the near future because there's just too much work that needs to go into using these shadows. I have other palettes that blend like a dream and go on the way they should.
Megan P.
Megan P.
Chicago
Review for: Anastasia Beverly Hills Subculture Eye Shadow Palette
100% gorgeous and worth it. I'll admit, it's not for beginners, nor the faint of heart. The reason for so much fallout is the intense pigmentation - which, no offense, some people don't know how to handle. The key is light taps into the pans and tapping excess product out of the brush, then gradually building and blending onto the lid. Naturally, if you prime your lid first, set it before using subculture, otherwise the intense pigment will stick most where you first apply and look patchy.

3 colors are pretty much dupes for the Jeffree Star Androgyny palette (Androgyny, Poison, Dominatrix), but are wayyyy more buttery and easy to work with. Also Jeffree Star's palette has it's fair share of fallout and no one complained about it... Now having Subculture, I almost wish I would've passed on Androgyny 4 months ago... Anyway :) Axis is unreal, in both color and consistency. Never had a deep dark blue that was so easy to work with. Unfortunately, the duochromes are sheer and a little disappointing but build nicely. With that being said, Electric is the most unique shade in the palette.

In conclusion, I say if you like the colors, try it for yourself! It may be too much for you but don't let anyone decide that for you! I love it, personally feel like it was made for me :3
Yesenia G.
Yesenia G.
⚠️ Warning ⚠

This is a very, very honest review. This is no exaggeration or over reacting. I do not follow Youtubers or Social media. I'm entitle to my true opinion.

Ever had that someone you thought looked good and you gave that relationship a shot but somewhere down the line something went completely wrong and it isn't going good so you can't decide if you want to work it out or not ? This is how I describe my love and hate relationship with this palette. Lol.

I got this palette and I am gonna say it is a neutral palette. What I mean is this palette is only 6 months of use and I have some pros and cons. The images you see have been used with the brush that comes with the palette and have been used with a white based primer and nude base primer. Now, the palette comes with 14 shades. I swatch this with the brush Once! Some plums, greens, oranges and mustard colors. Most of them are Matte with 3 shimmer/foiled shadows.

Pros:
Many looks to create in the palette. (If you can't something is wrong bc I can think of plenty to make)
Most of them are pigmented and you have to pack and blend. Repeat pack and blend for the color to show. (Like Kat V D palettes)
Works for everybody!!!

Cons:
Dawn, destiny, all star, axis and untamed look patchy swatch on arm but on lid is different.
Cube is duo chrome effect which you have to really pack and spray fix plus to make it pop.
Most of Anastasia palette has fallout.
If you stick the brush in the eyelid too hard you will end up with raccoon eyes .
However, this palette eyeshadow is too lose in packing wise, except cube, adorn and electric.

Overall, this palette is unique, controversial and if you have a lot of patience, and learn how to make this challenging palette work, give it a try and have your own experience and opinion.
Jayme C.
Jayme C.
Review for: Anastasia Beverly Hills Subculture Eye Shadow Palette
I loved mine!!! Little to no fallout at all, not anything my brush couldn't already pick up, it blended out so well for me and it was very pigmented but not too pigmented that I couldn't control it. This is more of a pressed pigment palette with a soft formula and some don't know how to deal with that change since it's different than the MR but if they made it more like the MR's formula the colors would be more sheer, Norvina wanted the colors to pop and the pigment to be strong and soft. And it really is!!  I feel bad for people who had legit problems with it but there's some people that just took it too extreme. I got it in store and it all worked so good for me! I don't think it's the formula they need to change, i've had other palettes like it (Lorac, Wet N Wild Au Naturel), the problem with this palette is that they marketed it uniquely. It's a pressed pigment palette and most people aren't into that stuff but they said it would be MR's sister which makes people think it's gonna be the exact same. My unpopular opinion but I actually LOVE it! I got the P7 batch (I heard that was a good one) and I didn't lay it flat when tapping into the pan, I'm very light handed with all of my palettes and I build up the color. It blended out really well in my opinion, and didn't crease or show any lines, no patchiness, the colors didn't change or end up muddy and I really enjoyed it. I still have more times to play around with it but I think it's all personal preference at the end of the day. I think if you're gonna get it you should look at it in store (I didn't use a tester because those people beat it to filth) and also if you buy it and don't like it you can return it. But I definitely like mine very much. The colors are amazing, packaging is amazing and everything was an all around good experience for me! :) I used Dawn, Roxy, Edge, Destiny and Cube.
Cara S.
Cara S.
Summerville, PA
Review for: Anastasia Beverly Hills Subculture Eye Shadow Palette
There is so much drama surrounding this palette that it can be hard to get a clear idea of its worth it. I want to start by addressing the issues that have come up. The palette is powdery floor sure. I agree when people say that these are not really eyeshadow but instead they are more like pure pressed pigments. The formula has less binders than modern renaissance so the shadows have less keeping them held together. That makes them messy to use and hard to apply cleanly. They tend to stick down where you first apply them and the where they overlap they can cause the other shadow to blend away creating bare spot between the two shades. This palette just doesn't work well with itself. This also makes it so that you really can't just swirl your brush in the pan and you can't use anything other than the lightest touch. Fluffy brushes are just a mess with this formula. Another issue is that you really have to have an understanding off his these colors will work together in order to create a nice look. This palette had an amazing color selection but if you don't understand how those colors will work with each other you will run into issues. Complementary colors contrast each other beautifully but they don't blend together. When you blend them you get grey. So these colors have to be placed next to each other very specifically and not blended together or it will get a great patch between them. That said they can be used yo create stunning looks. This palette doesn't live up to modern renaissance and the Mario palette in my opinion. I love those palettes and I find them easy to use and worth it. Subculture is useable but it requires a lot more finesse and just a lot more effort. This palette is really going to come down to how much effort you want to put into it and how much you want to pay for that. I love the colors. I can't wait for fall because these colors for the season so perfectly. I think given the struggles I may have preferred just to dupe this palette. There are no true yellow tones like I wanted. Edge turns a gross brown when applied. The duochrome shades are a joke they don't apply well at all. It's so much work that I wouldn't buy it again. That's how I feel but like I said it's useable but for that price and what I know the brand is capable of this has been a disappointing product.
Tiffany T.
Tiffany T.
Florida
Review for: Anastasia Beverly Hills Subculture Eye Shadow Palette
For context - I've been wanting this palette since it was announced partially based on my experience with Modern Renaissance and partially because I don't have a lot of similar shades to the ones that come in it. After hearing the negativity I was a little concerned, but bought it anyway. I don't agree with the negative reception at all. If I don't have to frantically swirl my brush around a pan to pick up color, I view that as a positive thing. With these pans, just touching the brush to each color is enough to get great color pay off; I don't think that's a bad thing because you're technically using less product than you would with a palette you have to dig into. The shadows last as well as most other palettes I've used, though I tend to use primer or concealer underneath anyway. I love the color selection but I think you have to understand which colors are going to blend together because whereas with the MR pallette the colors are all in the same family so you don't have to be as selective. This is neither a good nor a bad thing to me. I feel that I can easily create a look using just Subculture, or I can partner them with shades from others. It's also nice to have a variety because you can definitely get more looks out of it. The only negative point for me is that there isn't a shade in it that I can really use as a blending neutral, as the lightest color has a (really beautiful, but not always what I need) color shift, and the next lightest shade is too dark for my pale skin. However I have tons of neutrals in other palettes so getting yet another beige is not really my priority. Also a lot of the colors in this palette stand strong on their own. Lots of potential for a bold monochrome look. I'm a huge fan of the two yellow shades and the orangey one blended into eachother! Overall I'm really pleased with this palette.
Jessica V.
Jessica V.
Jefferson Hls, PA
Review for: Anastasia Beverly Hills Subculture Eye Shadow Palette
So i have to start out by saying Yes, these shadows do have some kick back! But honestly in my opinion it does not bother me. Yes it is making a bit of a mess but so what! These shadows are pigmented and blend easy for me. I have been playing with the palette for a couple days before writing this review. I love all the matte shadows, they a gorgeous colors and pigmented! The hardest shades for me to work with were cube and electric. They work much better when you wet them with a setting spray and use a dense flat shader brush. I do my eyes first all the time because alot of my favorite eyeshadows do have some fall out. Its easier to get rid of when you dont have foundation already on. Just tap your brush in very lightly and you wont have too much of a mess. I love the shade selection in this palette. I dont have many of the colors in any other palettes. You can create so many looks ranging from day time neutral or edgy fun and night time looks. Do not let those youtube videos stear you away from this palette because it is honestly wonderful. Norvina did a great job with this. Anastasia Beverly Hills Subculture Eyeshadow Palette
Nikki C.
Nikki C.
Greenfield, MA
Review for: Anastasia Beverly Hills Subculture Eye Shadow Palette
Here's the thing about the Subculture palette: I do believe the company when they say that this palette is different than most on the market, and because of that, there were probably batches with inconsistencies and that weren't up to par. ABH has said that this palette was envisioned and geared toward professional makeup artists, and the colors are more like pigments than actual shadows. All of that being said, with all of the review videos on the internet right now, just take this palette with a grain of salt. I obviously don't think you should have to change your makeup application techniques just for one singular palette, but at the same time, if you really love these colors, you can most definitely work with them. It's not a BAD palette by any means- in fact, it's probably one of the most pigmented palettes ever. The issue people seem to be having is the fall out and the blendability. If you know that you have to go in with a suuuuuper duper light hand with this palette, like I am talking just lighting tapping your brush in for a millisecond, you'll get the best results. Additionally, you need to use an extremely light hand when when blending, or else you'll experience what many are complaining about- all the pigment fixated in one area (because it's THAT pigmented.) I definitely think that in time once ABH fixes all the batches people will certainly come to appreciate this palette more. Luckily I got a palette from what I would consider the good batch. I usually use a pretty light hand anyway, so I haven't had much of an issue with this palette. I think the colors are incredible unique and that's what really ultimately drew me to it and made me fall in love with it. The only reason I cannot give it 5 stars is because of how much difficulty everyone else is having with it.
Erin M.
Erin M.
Rockville, MD
Review for: Anastasia Beverly Hills Subculture Eye Shadow Palette
The number one thing people need to understand about this palette before buying is that this is a very different beast from other traditional shadow palettes on the market in two ways:

1. This palette is more pressed pigment then traditional shadow. There is less binder in this palette then other eyeshadow palettes and as a result a little bit goes a VERY long way. You can not dig all willie nillie into the pan without some pretty bad consequences. The way I watch these 'beauty gurus' digging into the pans hurts my heart because that's NOT how this palette should be used, you will end up with a fallout-y hot mess and it's user error, not the fault of the palette

2. This is a cooler toned palette a big difference from the warmer toned palettes that everyone and their mother has released so far. Color theory and all it's glory DOES come into play when working and blending out these shadows. So people saying some combos appear 'gray' well, yeah, that's going to happen when you mix certain colors. 🤷🏾‍♀️

Now that that's out of the way, I love this palette. It's very unique in its color choice and with proper handling, blends like dream. I was able to execute a look easily and with minimal effort. Is this the kind of palette I would recommend to someone for an every day look? Absolutely not. But for the person who wants to spice up their palette wardrobe with something different and fun, absolut
Samantha B.
Samantha B.
Subculture or Modern Renaissance ?
Haley M.
Haley M.
Which is better? Modern Renaissance or Subculture?
EMMSAYS M.
EMMSAYS M.
Amanda M.
Amanda M.
I've heard a few people on YouTube state that this has a lot of fallout , does anyone agree? Also if it does, is it still worth the purchase ?
jenna b.
jenna b.
Is the ABH subculture palette as bad as the reviews? Anastasia Beverly Hills Subculture Eyeshadow Palette