BY AMERICAN #7 in Philanthropy & Volunteering

• Are you a fan of the American Red Cross?6 Answers
  • My respect to all those who volunteer to this amazing cha...51 Answers
  • Who all trys to help American red cross by giving blood?44 Answers
American Red Cross
  • "I tried to donate blood through the Red Cross a couple years back but during so I passed out, the workers were very fast acting and supportive, I still support the blood banks they have and hope that one day I can donate again." in 68 reviews
  • "While there program to give blood is a great one, everyone should really look up the details about this program before they donate." in 51 reviews
  • "I have never heard one bad thing about red cross, and i know they sponsor the blood drives at my hospital which i attend regularly and donate blood." in 34 reviews
  • "Great organization years back I was able to become Cpr certified as well as get my lifeguard certification through this group of amazing people " in 32 reviews
  • "I've donated blood several times and was always met with wonderful people who made me comfortable and made me feel good about donating, even if I had a problem doing so." in 29 reviews
Kaitlyn V.
Castroville, CA
I love the American Red Cross foundation. When I was in high school, once I turned sixteen any time that our school held a blood drive I would not hesitate one second to sign up to go and donate blood. I love knowing that I am going to help someone’s life.
Amber B.
louisville
Great company, I love their mission statement and what they do to help third world countries and with states involved in natural disasters. The only thing I wish was different about this company is that ever since I gave blood in high school, I have gotten phone calls almost everyday from them and mail numerous times a week.
Misha A.
Seaside, OR
Donated blood and all I can say is wow. They were incredibly kind , quick and slick , I didn't care much for lying down while donating but the few minutes of uncomfortability was worth it and I got to find out my blood type :D
ExoticAsianGoddess L.
Good Samaritan Expert Level 1
The American Red Cross a humanitarian organization led by volunteers and guided by its congressional charter and the fundamental principal of the International Red CrossMovement, will provide relief to victims of disasters and help people prevent, prepare for and respond to emergencies American Red Cross
Valerie M.
Good Samaritan Expert Level 1
My experiences with the American Red Cross are limited to their Blood Drives, and I have never needed to receive blood so I cannot comment on that. I do think they are doing a wonderful job helping others who need it. My only complaint is I hae always hit quite a wait time and some inexperienced at drawing blood.
Amy C.
Don't donate to the Red Cross. I wrote a PSA on this two years ago when the Japan earthquake happened. Here are my notes:

1. Many people think it's the right thing to do when there is a disaster to contribute their fair share to help, but in all honesty: The RC does not know what to do with this money. As of 2010, the Red Cross had only spent $106 million of the $354 million it raised for Haiti. Where did the rest of the money go, and why didn't it go towards people who needed it?

2. Contrary to popular belief, the Red Cross is not a relief aid organization. The organization is one mainly of lawyers and the military, meaning a lot of the work they do is implementing new policy, diplomacy, etc. (source: Francisco Rubio, head of legal department at Medecins du Monde ... among many others) That isn't to say they don't do immediate disaster relief, but it comprises a smaller part of what they do than people think.

3. The Red Cross has a history of homophobia. Yes, the Japan disaster is horrific, but does that make it okay, under any circumstance, to endorse discrimination and overlook the human dignity of others?

The Red Cross does good work, I concede, but it's always also the first charity to stick out its hand for donations when a disaster hits... and then what do they do with it? I'm a public health professional and am in the know about these things. Trust me: send your money elsewhere.
Zohra K.
New Brighton, MN
For the level of difficulty of the position, the base pay is unacceptable. You could possibly be working unsupervised and alone while doing an amount of work made for two workers. Don't forget, people's lives are hanging in the balance as you shoulder a two-worker load. Don't miss a step or someone could die because of it.
Sofi G.
New York
I volunteered with the G Red Cross throughout my youth and used to be a first responder / medical assistant during festivals and concerts. Mostly putting bandages on kids knees or takin care of fainted teenagers at pop concerts.
Miranda D.
Dover, PA
I donate as much blood as I can with these people because it's such a small act of kindness yet they can do so much with it. I have never run into a problem with them. My father is also a firefighter and has worked closely with them when someone house has burned down and he has never had a bad experience.
Brittany A.
I have always been one to give blood because honestly you never know when you are going to be the one to need it. I surely never expected to need it but am so thankful for the ones that do donate to save a persons life.
Victoria V.
Canoga Park, CA
Do you donate blood?
Helen M.
Lynn, MA
Have you donated blood?, if so how many times? How did you feel after besides weak/dehydrated?
MiiMii E.
Allentown, PA
My respect to all those who volunteer to this amazing charity! you guys ROCK
kendra h.
Knoxville, TN
Who all trys to help American red cross by giving blood?
Michelle F.
Conway, AR
Do you think the red cross screens the blood and the donors well?