by American Horror Story
Ask a Question
Nicole J.
Nicole J.
Moore, OK

I'm new to American Horror Story, how does this season compare to last season? Should I try to go back to watch the first season?
Sarah J.
Sarah J.
March 6, 2015, 9:16 p.m.
Asylum is my favorite. You do not have to watch one to follow the story of the other.
Lauren C.
Lauren C.
Nov. 7, 2014, 3:25 p.m.
There all aewseom!
Andrea R.
Andrea R.
Sept. 1, 2014, 9:20 p.m.
Season one was amazing. Season two was good, but it just couldn't hold a candle to the first season. Keep watching though. Season three is great.
Lauren M.
Lauren M.
Aug. 13, 2014, 2:10 p.m.
I would definitely watch the first season. It has nothing to do with season 2 as each season is a new story. However, season 1 was by far my favorite of the franchise so far!
Aubree D.
Aubree D.
July 4, 2014, 3:06 a.m.
Both seasons are amazing in my opinion. Watch the first season if you haven't already! Don't worry about watching asylum before murder house, they have nothing to do with each other-the only similarity is the recycled cast, but they play different characters in every season!
Brianna R.
Brianna R.
Oct. 10, 2013, 5:50 p.m.
You don't need to watch the first to understand the second. These are two completely different stories and settings all the actors are recycled and play different characters in the next season.
Nikki A.
Nikki A.
Sept. 30, 2013, 3:37 p.m.
I would watch the first season but it doesn't really tie into the second season very much.
Kendra S.
Kendra S.
Aug. 11, 2013, 7:06 p.m.
I like the first season way better, but they are both worth watching.
Kristen D.
Kristen D.
June 25, 2013, 10:57 a.m.
You don't need to watch both seasons to know what's going on because American Horror Story is an anthology, meaning each season is completely unrelated to the last. That said, I liked the first season better. Don't get me wrong, the second season is awesome, but the first season will blow your mind and keep you thinking.
Isabella C.
Isabella C.
April 6, 2013, 8:25 p.m.
Watch both! you don't HAVE to, but the story is really awesome!!
Olivia D.
Olivia D.
Feb. 6, 2013, 10:21 a.m.
The first season was amazing! Season 2 doesn't even compare.
n n.
n n.
Feb. 5, 2013, 9:07 p.m.
The seasons are completely different, unconnected stories, but I definitely recommend season 1 first because it is far superior to season 2. If you watch the second season first you might not want to watch the first season, but season 1 is DEFINITELY worth watching because it is so good.
Theresa B.
Theresa B.
Jan. 9, 2013, 5:22 p.m.
The first season was so much better in my opinion! It was incredible.
Liz C.
Liz C.
Dec. 21, 2012, 7:57 a.m.
Personally, I think Season 1 blows Season 2 away. It's head and shoulders above the current season. If you are enjoying season 2, I would highly recommend backtracking to the first season. As others have said, there is no connection between the two - new cast, new plot every season - but I do think that watching both deepened my love for the actors and really demonstrates their acting abilities with the contrast in their characters.
Carolyn B.
Carolyn B.
Dec. 18, 2012, 12:21 p.m.
This season is starting to get really good, but I definitely recommend watching the first season. Although the first season has absolutely nothing to do with the second season, the first season was really really good.
Brian E.
Brian E.
Dec. 13, 2012, 12:56 p.m.
You don't need to watch the first season in order to know what's going on in the second season but they are thematically different. The first season was a haunted house story while Season 2 is more of the weird, demented goings-on at an Asylum in the 60s. They are both creepy but different. I like the 2nd season just fine but I prefer the first season. Also, it's nice having watched the first season and then seeing how they are using some of the same actors in the 2nd season in completely different roles.
Sarah E.
Sarah E.
Dec. 5, 2012, 6:40 p.m.
I would watch the first season but you do not have to watch it to understand the second. The second one creeps me out a lot but I just fell in love with the first.
Zinda B.
Zinda B.
Nov. 24, 2012, 6:56 a.m.
Like others have already said, you don't need to watch the first season. It doesn't have anything to do with the second one and there aren't references to each other. Both seasons are two separate stories. That being said, I would recommend you watch the first season. I think it's a lot better than the second one.
stefani s.
stefani s.
Nov. 21, 2012, 3:12 a.m.
You don't need to watch the other season, but i do recommend it
Keri Y.
Keri Y.
Nov. 18, 2012, 5:32 p.m.
You don't need to watch last season in order to understand this season; however, I thoroughly enjoyed the first season. I think it's worth watching.
Angel E.
Angel E.
Nov. 15, 2012, 11:35 a.m.
Last season I would have rated a 10.. This season , Id give a 2 .... I miss the old house ..
Ashleigh T.
Ashleigh T.
Nov. 8, 2012, 8:34 a.m.
I don't think you need to go back and watch the old season, all the characters are different. However, I do love the first season so I would recommend watching it anyways.
Nov. 6, 2012, 4:01 p.m.
I agree with both of these answers. You don't have to watch the first season, but it is really good and if you like this season, I definitely think you will like season 1. Unfortunately I couldn't find a link to give you to watch it online, but I recommend getting it off of iTunes because I believe that is the cheapest option. If you can order DVDs from Netflix I know that it is on there as well.
Nov. 6, 2012, 4:01 p.m.
Sarah S.
Sarah S.
Nov. 5, 2012, 11:23 a.m.
There is no comparison between the two. They write the series so that each season stands alone. I would definitely suggest season 1 just because it was so great.
Tiffany P.
Tiffany P.
Nov. 5, 2012, 10:48 a.m.
The beauty about American Horror Story is that it's done in an anthology. Each season will be a new setting, new time and new characters. You don't have to have watched last season to watch this one. They're not connected.

Join Now