BY AMERICAN EXPRESS #1 in Banks

American Express offers world-class Charge and Credit Cards, Gift Cards, Rewards, Travel, Personal Savings, Business Services, Insurance and more. see more...

• I'm looking to get a credit card to build credit, how is ...3 Answers
  • Does this card offer any specials/deals for travel. Like ...6 Answers
  • Are these cards worth the higher interest rates? Lowkey w...4 Answers
American Express
  • "Ive had some issues with customer service when I called, but after speaking to a couple of agents, my issue was resolved quickly and efficiently." in 10 reviews
Dinah B.
Windsor
I have had my AMEX card for almost 20 years.  I actually have a Delta Skymiles AMEX so I get points toward free airline tickets.  I used to complain about the higher interest rate than other cards (although I pay my balance so it should really not be a big deal), but a few years back I was in Paris and was pickpockets.  All my money (except 1 penny), credit cards, passport, driver's license...everything was taken.  I was devastated.  I called AMEX and they gave me an address in Paris to go to.  When I arrived at the small office, there was an emergency AMEX card already on the counter waiting for me.  It saved my trip.  I will never complain about interest rates again.  A bonus is when I purchase airline tickets, there is no baggage fee if the purchase is made with the AMEX card.
Shivani P.
American Express is a wonderful credit card to have! We have the Delta Skymiles credit card and I love all the benefits we get from it. American Express does a great job at keeping my cards safe from suspicious usage, keeping bills safe and organized, and even providing lots of perks and benefits, such as additional rental car insurance or discounts/cash back at popular stores. Pairing it with delta is an added bonus for my parents, since their Medallion statuses become stronger using this card. I have always enjoyed using this card and will recommend it to anyone!
Rebecca N.
Savannah
My husband and I have an American Express card that has delta rewards. We like using it on vacation and for emergencies. It came in handy this past summer when we had to evacuate for hurricane Irma. The perks are nice because we like to travel and visit family in Chicago. The only con I have is it is not accepted everywhere. Which was not helpful when my dog got really sick while we were evacuated... so I wouldn’t use this as an only source for back up.
Kristen W.
Winter Haven, Fl
American Express is not my first card that I grab for when I reach for my credit cards. They do have some benefits that are good like purchase protection which is nice if you are buying larger items.

Mainly the reason I don’t use them first is because I find their service to be poor and I don’t like giving them my business when other card companies are much more helpful to me and my family when we need them.
Ashtyn J.
I have the American Express Bluebird card because it lets my husband and I get paid earlier when signed up for direct deposit... HOWEVER... EVERY TAX RETURN DAY THEIR SERVERS GO DOWN, RHEY DO NOT LET ANYONE KNOW, AND YOU CAN NOT USE OR GET ANY MONEY OFF THE CARD FOR AT LEAST A DAY. ALSO THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE IS TERRIBLE!!! We’ve actually been in the process of changing cards. Would not recommend
Shayna S.
Mendota Heights
I have the Delta Air Platinum version of the American Express card which carries an annual fee of $195.  The $50 baggage fee is waived, there is a 20% discount on purchases made in flight, and from time to time there are various offers you can attach to your card and receive discounts from stores by using the AMEX card.  For example, as I type this there are over 60 offers including cash back on purchases from Aveda, Bare Minerals, Symantec, and 1800Contacts.  If you check baggage on one round trip per year and use the offers, it's easy to "earn back" the card fee .... and yes, you earn Delta miles.  I did receive 70,000 miles for applying for the card.  (Note:  This works for me because the nearest airport is a Delta hub.)
Maria H.
Richmond , VA
American Express does tend to have better perks than say a regular Visa, Discover or MasterCard as it appears they are more selective as to who they extend credit to. The only downfall the card had which is not nearly as common anymore, was the some businesses would not take the card! So, you’d have to have better credit to qualify for this card then some merchants wouldn’t even take the form of payment. I think this is due to the extra numbers in the card and the “code” being longer than the other cards where they were the same amount of numbers. Maybe it’s because of the new chip and businesses having to update their credit card machines because I rarely run into the issue of “sorry, we don’t take American Express” anymore.
Cassie A.
san diego
Platinum card is very pricy but comes with lots of perks. It’s $400 price tag is worth it if you travel ALOT. You get access to tons of airport lounges which is one of my favorite features. Also, you can complete everyday offers for statement credits. There are lots of ways to redeem points but once again platinum comes with a price.
Kayla L.
Newport, NC
I have been with American Express for
About 4 years , I have never had any issue with the bank itself, sometimes I will go somewhere and they don’t except American Express which can be aggravating but that isn’t the banks fault they have always been very friendly customer service and very helpful if I have ever had any questions.
Dorche H.
Uppr Marlboro, MD
I have a Bluebird card from Walmart that’s American Express. I’ve never had any issues. If I call for any fraud transactions, my money is on my card immediately. I can stop payments without having to wait days to get my money back. It’s so convenient and I don’t have any fees. And they have a savings account when you log in.
Latanya C.
Merrillville, IN
Globetrotter Expert Level 1
Have you used your rewards?
Dani H.
Sylvania, OH
Does this card offer any specials/deals for travel. Like spend a certain amount and redeem the points for airfare/hotels?
vidya T.
Toronto, ON
Does anyone hold more than one AMEX product?
Azra K.
Albany, NY
Are these cards worth the higher interest rates? Lowkey want to be a black card member but that's not happening lolll
Hannah M.
Olympia, WA
I'm looking to get a credit card to build credit, how is this one? Pros? Cons?