BY AMERICAN AIRLINES #4 in Airlines

• Where have you traveled to in the past year? 🌏 American A...11 Answers
Reviews (19988)
Crystalllllllll L.
Spanaway
The reason I gave American Airlines four starts is because of the experience I had. My boyfriend and I were checking 2 small bags and we got bumped off our flight because there is some unspoken rule at American that the cutoff for checking bags is 1.5 hours before the flight leaves. Mind you, there isn’t anything on the tickets stating this, so we were caught completely unaware. The woman at the desk didn’t try to work with us to get our flight and instead handed us standby tickets for the next flight (which doesn’t guarantee you have a seat). Thankfully we were able to get on the next flight, but it would begin in American Airlines best interest to state their policy a little more clearly.... needless to say, I won’t be flying with them for a long time
Melissa B.
Virginia Bch, VA
Globetrotter Expert Level 1
Smallest planes I have ever been on.
A few months back, I was traveling from Virginia to South Carolina for work and my boss said they would pay for my flight but not for gas & tolls if I drove. So I booked with American, going from Virginia to Pennsylvania to South Carolina...SC is below VA, PA is 3 states above VA, why route me this way?
We boarded the plane on time, only 12 rows and 3 seats in each row : 1 on the left, the aisle, 2 on the right. Then sat on the plane, on the runway, for 45 minutes. When we finally arrive in PA, I run across 2 terminals to make my connection, back on to a tiny plane, this time 2 seats on either side of the row, all carry on items are being stored under the plane so we were given red tags.
On the way back to VA, our flight was pushed from 5pm to 730pm. Myself and my coworker tried to get on the 2pm flight, we ended early and arrived at 12p, and were told it would be $200 to change each ticket. 730 we board, another tiny tiny plane, to fly to North Carolina, 15 minute flight from our take off location. The last plane, NC to VA, was the largest of the weekend, 28ish rows, 2 seats either side.
When we finally get home, our initially arrival time was 9pm, I did not get off the plane until after 12am. I know they can not control the weather, other planes, freak accidents. But, their employees should learn how to handle bad situations because that weekend was full of it.
Colleen W.
Davisburg
I am not a fan. Plain and simple. The last time that I flew on American Airlines was horrible from beginning to end. The man scanning boarding passes ripped my phone out of my hand, which sent my phone flying (pun intended). His coworker picked my phone up and apologized for him.

The flight crew was eh. The flight was 75% full. My husband wanted to move to an open aisle seat (being 6’8 he appreciates the emergency row or an aisle seat). At first he was told no, even though plenty were open. After complaining to ever flight crew member that walked past, he was allowed to move.

I (try) to avoid flying American Airlines and Spirit Airlines whenever possible...
Donya A.
Palm Coast, FL
I’ve flown with them numerous times & I’ve had majority good experiences but a few not so good ones...I️ took a connecting flight starting in Detroit, stopped in NC to get on another plane to Orlando & I️ had a couple boxes of sweets I️ bought in Detroit plus a carry on & purse and had no issue bringing it on the plane to NC but when I️ was about to board my connecting flight, the attendant rudely told me I️ can’t take it on the plane & it’s company policy although I️ explained I️ had just gotten off a similar plane, I️ ended up having to check my bag and still hold the boxes in my hand the duration of the flight because I️ wasn’t allowed to place them in the overhead bin...another time I️ was stuck in Madrid because my connecting flight was late & customer service told me there was nothing they could do & I️ was so exhausted that I️ started crying because I️ had been up for over 24 hours & was just trying to get home...they finally told me they can put me on a standby for a flight in 4 hours so I️ waited & was able to get a seat. Also I️ had paid for extra leg room but couldn’t get it on the new flight however I️ got lucky because a mother wanted to switch seats with me to be next to her daughter & she had an extra leg room seat so it all worked out I️ suppose
Candace W.
Frisco, TX
You can get good pricing if you book far enough in advance. Unlike with SWA, I never seem to get the seats I want. Even when picking seats IN ADVANCE with my young daughter, we get to the ticket counter only to be given seats AWAY from each other. What is the point of choosing our seats AND letting them know we are traveling with children??? Then, they say that they can’t help. That we will need to switch with someone on the flight. The issue with this is that many people believe it was OUR lack of planning that got us in that situation and that they should be compensated. Or that they paid for THAT seat. I paid for 2 seats together as well. My request just happened to not be honored. This has happened on several occasions, and according to an online website, it happens to families all the time. Why ask if we are traveling with children if you are going to intentionally break us up? Why let us pick our seats together if you are going to sit us separately?

This is my biggest issue with AA, other than the ridiculous baggage fees. While flying with another adult, I don’t see it as much of an issue. But your system allows me to tell you the age of the travelers. If I’m flying with a 2 yr old, and I buy seats together, keep us together.
Juliane I.
Newark , NJ
Worst flight I have ever been!! First they cancelled the first flight making me lose my connection due to bad weather in JULY, there was no bad whether where I was neither where I was going. Then they scheduled me for another flight with a different company (that was the only good thing), but it was in another airport and I had to pay out of pocket to get there (almost 2hrs away). Then on my flight back which was international (5+ hours) the aircraft didn’t have individual media, the plane was super small and old, plus we all had to watch the same boring movie. After this experience I avoid flying with them as much as I can.
Alexandra S.
Ellicott City, MD
Globetrotter Expert Level 1
They were really nice. I flew with American Airlines the first time I flew solo. Previously, I had always flown with my family for vacations growing up, and finally as a college student, there came the time where I was finally going to go alone. They were easy to book with. Had the cheapest flight to my destination. Super helpful, and didn’t make fun of my fear of take off and landing. I flew 2 flights down with them, and 2 flights back, and I’d do it again. They taught me this trick to help my ears pop, and I often utilize it when driving on the hilly roads near my house that warrant the same remedy.
Sophia G.
Pottstown, PA
Globetrotter Expert Level 1
I recently had a nightmare experience with American. I arrived from a connecting flight with a few hours before my next flight. I settled down across from my gate to read and wait for boarding (no headphones). I looked up every 15 minutes or so, and when I saw the “10 minutes until boarding” on the screen, I prepared my stuff and started listening for the boarding call. Next time I looked up, thinking it had been a while with no intercom updates, my destination was no longer on the screen. I panicked and hurried to a gate attendant, who told me the flight had just shut the door. I was furious. I’d heard absolutely nothing from the intercom, not even a last missing passenger call, which is supposed to be broadcast throughout the terminal. I had missed the connection and there were no flights to my destination for the rest of the night. Thankfully, some nearby gate attendants were kind to me and helped me connect to a rebooker on the phone. This person was so gracious to me, as I tried to hold together my emotions, that I added back a star to what would’ve been a three star review (they did not help me get a hotel room). I was rebooked for 5 am at no extra cost.
Joy N.
Globetrotter Expert Level 1
Usually had the more affordable prices and I haven’t had significant issues with canceled flights. They usually text if the flight is going to be delayed and I’ve even received an email the day prior warning that there was a risk that the flight may change due to expected weather issues.

They sometimes don’t have snacks and when they do it’s usually a small bag of pretzels which isn’t my favorite but I guess thats what most airlines are turning into. Leaving from Chicago, I have been on flights without inflight movies which seems weird for a large airport going to other major cities
Lisa N.
Lake Jackson , TX
I’ve flown many times, many airlines, every time I fly with American Airlines there is always a travel issue. There’s always delays. Every. Single. Time. We missed our connecting flight one time and it was the last flight of the night and they put us in a hotel of their choice not our choice... and it was the most disgusting hotel I’ve ever been in. They didn’t let us pick our hotel and get reimbursed or even offer to give us a certain amount. I had to leave and go to another hotel. Every airline you fly there will always be a problem but it gets you from A to B.
Crystal C.
Where have you travelled to with American Airlines?
Aisosa O.
Hyde Park, MA
What are your other favorite airlines?
Christiana G.
Rexford, NY
Globetrotter Expert Level 4
Is this a good airline? Do they ever offer any deals?
Marissa V.
When is the best time to fly?
Miranda C.
Richmond , BC
Globetrotter Expert Level 2
Has anyone used enough miles to get a free trip yet?