American Airlines Airline Company

I’ve never flown with this airline would anyone recommend it for a family trip?
When is the best time to purchase tickets from American airlines?
Will there be a free check bag
Start your review of American Airlines Airline Company!
How would you rate this product?
Product Highlights
They lost our luggage, both flights were delayed, customer service was horrible and nobody wanted to help us try and get on a different flight.in 66 reviews
...Jersey often.There miles profeam is great and we always enjoy the attentive flight attendantsin 55 reviews
They are the last airline to keep decent meals in first class and I think they are reluctant to reduce their service as quickly as other mainline carriers.in 22 reviews
The attendants seemed helpful, but, but the flight overall was slightly uncomfortable due to a cramped space and little leg room. in 21 reviews
...other One World Alliance members and the ability to rack up points for frequent flyers.in 16 reviews
2 months agoLafayette, LA
I can’t with American. They are the absolute worst. They have zero professionalism and not matter how many times I try to give them another chance it is the same awful experience. I was flying from LAX -> DFW -> LFT. We got into DFW and our flight just didn’t leave. No one said it was delayed, no one said it was cancelled. The time just came and went anddddd that was it. So we started asking around, the flight crews said they were “have problems organizing flights”.... finally, after hours in that terminal, they changed to a different gate. We all got up and moved. This happened 3 more times, and a couple more hours later. After all this they told us our flight was cancelled and then left us to wander the airport in search of help. No direction, no help, nothing. Patrons swarmed the help desks as future flights sold out in seconds. The next flight option was over 10 hours away, and as I was traveling with my son who has severe ADHD, sitting in an airport for 10+ hours was not an option. I got to the front of the line at the help desk, again, hours later, and they informed us that they would not be providing hotels. At that time they informed me that the flight 10 hours out was not going to be 12+. Mind you, our home was a 7 hour drive from Dallas.... so I asked if I would be reimbursed if I chose to rent a car and drive. The agent said “YES. KEEP YOUR RECEIPT FOR THE CAR.” Then I asked about my bag, they told us to leave the terminal and go to baggage claim; keep in mind we can’t go back after we leave, and as it was 1am, there were no agents OUTSIDE THE TERMINAL. So we went to baggage claim and the extremely irritated woman informed us that she did not have our bags, that she couldn’t get them, and that they would be on the next flight out. WHAT? Took us 20 minutes to catch a bus to the rental car facility. Another 15 to get a car, because there were hordes of people doing the same. 8 hours later, we are home. I called to initiate my refund for the car and the flight and BIG SURPRISE, THEY WON’T DO IT! I, admittedly, harassed these people for WEEKS with absolutely zero progress. A TOTAL JOKE OF A COMPANY. They claimed it was not their fault because it was weather related between Lafayette and Dallas. I DROVE 7 HOURS FROM DALLAS TO LAFAYETTE WITH CLEAR SKIES AND NOT A DROP OF RAIN. So full of crap! To top it off, my bags were “en route” for over a week. We were moving across country, everything we own was on a moving truck and those were THE ONLY CLOTHES I HAD TO HOLD ME OVER. These people should be ashamed of themselves.
5 days agoGaithersburg, MD
Can I give than one star rating? Simply the worst company I’ve ever flown with period. Had a flight delay which happens to any airline yes but it was handled poorly the gate staff lied to everyone that it was being fixed “easily.” they didn’t give us proper food and certainly for anyone with with dietary restrictions couldn’t eat it. 8 hour later there was a gate change no one announced, no gate crew to assist with grumpy passengers; Delta crew members were shocked and told us where to find someone who worked for American. 9 hours after original take off our flight went up in the air circled Toronto and went back tot the airport. I started having a panic attack, couldn’t breathe was starving and also freezing. A rude flight attendant who had never even spoken to me the entire flight kept looking at me and whispering. Captain never spoke me to all I know is the gate attendant was taking me off the plane stranding me in another country! I’m not really sure how someone asses a “threat” when they don’t bother to talk to someone having a panic attack! American Airlines dismissed me as a “threat” the only threat I was on the verge of passing out because I couldn’t breathe because the flight crew at this point decided to ignore everyone asking what the hell was going on. My friend who stayed in the flight said the Captain talked to the girl across from me and calmed her down so I’m a little confused! American gave me a $175 Flight voucher which wouldn’t even cover that flight I paid for and wasn’t allowed to fly! If you’d like to be treated like a dog for a flight enjoy American Airlines! worst costumer service for any airline I’ve ever flown.
3 days agonorth carolina
I had travelled perhaps twice or thrice already with american airlines.. but sad to say, i always had a bad experience with them!.. the first time i had travelled with them, the flight was delayed... then i travelled with them again thinking it was just an unfortunate event.. but the third time i travelled with them was all the same.. Literally, the same!!!.. Flight was delayed.. and the worst was our last trip last July... the flight was delayed 3 times.. they kept on re scheduling the flight... then at the end we ended up not able to fly that same day!.. they say, they couldnt book a connecting flight for us... since we were travelling to Philippines from NC and we had 2 stop overs.. and because their flight was delayed, and so all the booking of the connecting flights shall be rebooked also.. but to make the story short we ended up flying the next day!!.. and the thing i hate the most was, i had to call AA a thousand times before they can re book us. The staff in the airport and at the check in counter couldnt even help us with that. I was just so mad (who would not?).. the worst there is, i was with my 1 year old baby and it was just lucky we brought with us enough milk for few days use. Making it worst was we had to find a hotel to stay for the night which AA didnt pay and that means we had to spend for a hotel and everything that goes with that just because AA flight was delayed and that they were not able to book us at least so we dont need to spend unnecessarily. A bad experience with american airlines... i just dont know for others but i had terrible terrible experience with AA!!
2 days ago
I had wayy too many troubles on a flight home with this airline, and lack of communication. My original flight was scheduled at 10 AM & I didn’t leave that airport until 9:30 PM without being able to leave. Originally there were several delays with the first flight, so boarded a couple hours past scheduled time, we’re in the air for 15 minutes then received information that the planes navigational system was off and we’d be headed back to the airport. At the airport we were greeted with a 6 hour delay. We all boarded, yet again. To then be told we had to un-board again because there was a problem with the new airplane we were on. An hour of waiting for any information later, we were told we could board once again. Halfway down the runway we were informed AGAIN that we’d have to head back to the airport for yet another problem. We were thankfully able to stay in the plane this time and it was a quick fix. After weeks of waiting for an e-mail from the company about the many problems, I was awarded a 100 dollar voucher for that airline. Don’t know if I just caught them on a bad day, but it was not the best experience for me.
2 months agoLawrence , MA
The night before my return to KC, AA changed my flight. They moved it back 2 hours with only a 30 minute connection in Washington. (Reagan). That left no room for error. If the plane is late or the gate is far away, I was sunk. I called AA and asked them why they changed my flight and the agent on the phone said for operational needs. What in heaven's name does that mean? She couldn't say. She ended up saying it was because the flight number changed. They make it up as they go along. I insisted she put me back on the 4 pm flight, which she did. When I got to the airport and was waiting on the flight, I could see what happened The flight was not full and they probably wanted to cancel it. There had been a 3 pm to DC as well. Why couldn't they just move me to that one if they were worried about the 4 pm canceling. The 4 pm went as planned and I had a nice 2 hour lay over in DC to eat dinner and continue on to KC, but there WAS a terminal change, so if I had allowed AA to move me to the 6 pm flight, I would definitely have missed my connection. It's like medicine, you need to take control of your own destiny, when you can!
2 days agoTulsa, OK
American has more flight options from my location so it has quickly become our go to airline. Frequent Flyer programs are good and do sign up for Business Extra account as well if you have your own business, big or small. Using points proves more difficult sometimes as with all airlines especially during peak times. I wish there were more options to use points..ie. better upgrade options or drink /food vouchers for flight. Staff is friendly, especially out of my smaller airport. Easy to navigate website and many flight options. Wish changing flights were easier but change policies seem to be pretty standard in US. Even with Frequent Flyer status it’s not easy to do and cost extra. The systemwide upgrade rewards for Elite Frequent Flyers expire at the end of each year and are often not available to use on flights or very limited seats. I’ve tried to use 1 six times this year and not available on any of the flights I’ve tried. I’d love to see an extended period to use or a cash or voucher value if you can’t use. American Airlines Airline Company.
2 months agoLa Mesa, CA
We live at a time when airfare become more and more affordable for people to travel and even chose airplanes vs other types of transportations because of the time and comfort. It’s it still quite expensive in comparison to a bus or train ticket. So when I get a plane ticket for couple hundreds (sometimes thousands) dollars i expect decent service, not necessarily first class service for economy ticket but decent - friendly staff (from airport workers to cabin cerw), basic availability of water, coffee, tea upon request, cleanliness. Unfortunately i can’t say that about AA. Especially people aspect. Sometimes you just hop on 2 hrs domestic flight, and sometimes your 2 hrs domestic flight is a part of 16 hrs journey. When you tired and exhausted last thing you want to see is a tired and exhausting face of a flight attendant who doesn’t want to be there.
7 days agophoenix
Flying sucks nowadays unless you’re among the significantly wealthy, so not much good to report. The seats have gotten smaller over the years with zero leg room (and I’m only 5’4!) I feel so bad for taller or bigger-built folk. Food is no longer complimentary with the purchase of a ticket—not even little snacks, and the cost is more than movie theater food, which we all know is priced super high. I was on a longer overnight flight a while back and they said I have to pay for a blanket if I want one. But They’ve also given them out on later trips I took, so maybe there were too many complaints. We put up with the airline and horrible flight experiences because we are still grateful to be traveling and it’s still worth the terrible commute once we’ve arrived at our destinations, but like I said...flying sucks.
5 days agoTampa
The worst airline. I will do everything in my power to never book American Airlines again. They allow you to book flights and find any reason to cancel a flight due to force majeure so you can’t get a refund. Unfortunately many flights to the Caribbean from Florida are on American Airlines. I flew from The Dominican Republic to Miami and they canceled my connecting flight to Tampa because it was sprinkling outside. No refund. I had to rent a car and drive 4 hours after a long trip. If the rain was so bad then why was I able to drive home in it without issue? I will fly all the way to NYC from Florida and fly to the Caribbean from there, way out of my way and use another airline before I will ever fly American Airlines again. They could care less about service. It’s all about the bottom line.
a month agoPembroke Pnes, FL
I have to start saying that I’ve had travelled with American twice this year (one round trip and one return trip only just a little over a week ago) and after our round trip my husband asked not to chose this airline ever again. We decided to give them another chance, and it proved to be a mistake. On the round trip, I will only say that the space was extremely limited. My husband is 6’ tall and he didn’t fit and had to spend the entire 3 1/2 hours sitting sideways. And to top it of on the way back there was no AC. My daughter, who was only 9 months at time time was extremely red, sweating like never, and I was extremely concerns because babies overheat very easily and it is dangerous for them. Now, on my most recent one-leg trip, things were even worse. First of all, we were scheduled to board at 4:00 from one gate in concourse K and at 4:03 they announced the change of gate to another one in concourse H. No change on departure time which made everybody run to make to the other side. By this time, we had already closed the stroller and had put it on the bag because we were expecting to board any minute. To save time, we didn’t open the stroller again nd had to run with the baby in one arm and our things on the other. Only to make it to the other side to see that the airplane wasn’t even there! The new gate was very small, with limited seats (all already occupied) and then it was when they announced that the flight was delayed. They asked us to have a seat and be patient, but there were no seats!!! And when it was time to board, they told me we couldn’t board first (even with the baby and all the inconveniences!) unless we had paid extra. Mind you, knowing that they tend to have limited space, we had already paid $41 each to have the extra space and seat at the front. But they wanted us to pay even more just to be able to board first, when it is something offered by other airlines for free! And to top it off, when we disembarked the stroller (which was correctly identified) was not there. We had to wait until almost the entire airplane was empty for them to get us the stroller. After so many hours, that’s the last thing we needed. And they made no effort to help us in any of the occasions. Very disappointed of an airline that used to be know for their service.
Ask a question to the Influenster community...