Amazon Instant Video uploaded by Danielle P.

BY AMAZON #89 in TV

Users can rent or purchase their favorite TV shows and movies, with rental prices starting at $0.99.

Amazon Instant Video
  • "I find that most of the TV shows/videos that are on Netflix are on here for a charge so I tend to stick to my Netflix account where no matter what I find to watch its "free" not 2.99 here and 5.99 there. " in 25 reviews
  • "While its an awesome perk to have with my Prime membership user beware-- some shows aren't available as quickly as with Hulu or Netflix and you can't separate out the ones that are free vs pay to play." in 9 reviews
  • "If they make it more user friendly it may be better competition as I kept it for times where they'd have a title and Netflix didn't. " in 5 reviews
  • "First You Have To Pay The Fee After The Trial Period And One Would Think There Is A Bunch Of Free Movies,Shows&Content But No They All Also Cost For Each On Top Of The Fee.No Thanks " in 5 reviews
  • "I absolutely love Amazon Prime and actually, personally prefer to netflix as they have more shows and movies available in general." in 5 reviews
Kara D.
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
I use the Amazon TV Fire Stick and love it. From there I'm able to watch everything that Amazon offers through this service. They do have different shows and movies compared to Netflix, which is nice. The downfall being that not all shows and movies are free. I'd say it's pretty much 50/50. It is annoying when I want to watch something, click on it, and then realize I'm going to have to pay to watch it, which I completely understand, but it is very easy to accidentally purchase something you did not want to pay to watch.

9/10 recommend!
Angel P.
I'll start with the positives. This service allows you to download for watching later, which I LOVE. The negatives are that the selection is extremely limited and rather dated, and when I've encountered a problem with downloading or billing their customer service is seriously lacking. If you don't have constant access to Wi-Fi you may really love this service since you can enjoy downloaded titles. If you like streaming new releases you probably would enjoy Netflix over this.
Amy P.
Springfield
The only real con to the Amazon Instant Video is the fact that their selection is somewhat lacking. It’s understandable when you’re up against the majors (Netflix and Hulu). I will admit, however, that there are some gems on Amazon that I couldn’t find anywhere else. Just another great perk to having Amazon Prime!
Krista L.
Wilmington, NC
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
This app is so great! I can watch my favorite shows and movies on the go on my phone and on my iPad. It’s so convenient! They have a wide range of genres available and always have must watch series’ coming out. Highly recommend!
Stephanie A.
Santa Clarita
Love the instant streaming, really better than the Netflix streaming and Apple TV. Watched the great gatsby on my 4K tv and it really made my night since it’s one of my favorite movies ever. Saddest scene in the end :(
Melissa M.
Baton Rouge, LA
Love Amazon instant video. I like that I can be anywhere and have a ton of options to watch. They have a really good variety ranging from reality tv to recent and older movies. It came with my Amazon Prime membership so that’s a plus!!
Lucy G.
Johnson City, TN
As a Prime Member, it's pretty awesome getting Amazon Instant Video as an extra perk where I can watch an unlimited amount of movies and TV shows that are considered Prime. A lot of people compare Amazon Instant Video to Netflix, and while they offer similar services. they have different networks, shows, and movies to watch. If you are a big fan of HBO, MTV, PBS/Masterpiece, Starz, Nickelodeon, or Showtime, you will like the wide selection that Amazon has. Amazon also has original shows like Transparent and The Man in the High Castle. I never have trouble streaming episodes. I always look forward to watching America's Next Top Model or Mr. Robot. I think one way that Amazon Instant Video is better than Netflix is that Amazon Instant Video is a free service added to just becoming a Prime Member on Amazon. So not only are you getting products with fast free shipping at a discounted rate, you get to watch thousands of awesome movies and shows unique to each family member - from Dora to Indiana Jones, Amazon has it.
Amber J.
Saint Johns, MI
I really like this set up because while I'm subscribed to Amazon prime I am able to watch tons of shows for free. The rest that are not free are actually pretty cheap. Its so nice to have an app that can play tons of children's shows for free as I have little kids. They feature products each month and are constantly updating their library of movies.
Kara E.
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
While I won't be ditching Netflix or Hulu anytime soon, Amazon Instant is fantastic if you have Amazon Prime and can download shows for free. I mainly use Amazon Instant to watch television shows that are no loner on TV. It works fast, very little buffering, and has great quality. However, downloading to videos to my phone is such a slow process that I can't bear to ever watch it on my phone again. That being said, watching Amazon Instant from your laptop, computer, or TV is fantastic.
Amanda H.
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
I like Amazon video a lot! I can find HBO shows from the 90s! They have a lot of shows that you can only see on Amazon (Top Gear anyone?) I dislike with newer episodes that they want you to pay for each individual episode but if you wait to watch it will be free with a prime membership.
Jennifer W.
Lynchburg, VA
Which is better Netflix or Amazon Instant Video?
Courtney T.
Buffalo, NY
I am debating cancelling my Netflix subscription, right now I pay for both. Any recommendations?
Sam S.
In your opinion, what are the must-watch shows available on Amazon prime?
Brittny P.
Haven't used this site yet. After seeing it listed on this website , I will make sure to check it out. Any feedback on the speed of the program ?
Breanne Z.
Lansing , MI
Pop Culture Expert Level 4
How does this service compare to Netflix?