Amazon Echo Dot (2nd Generation)

by Amazon

Using the same voice recognition and voice control features of the Amazon Echo but in a slim, low profile design, the Echo Dot (2nd Generation) can control smart home devices, stream audio from a smartphone, and bring the Alexa Voice Service to any room.

Amazon Echo Dot (2nd Generation) Do you know if this product can play music for free? Does it play TV shows on chromecast? Is it better than a Google home mini?
What are the benefits of have an echo dot by amazon?
What do you guys find the most useful with this product? I got one for Christmas and don’t really know what it’s good for.
Start your review of Amazon Echo Dot (2nd Generation)!
Stock Island, FL
Verdict: the Echo dot adds Alexa capability to your home, or multiple rooms, at a fantastic value Value. The Echo dot provides access to the same Alexa capabilities as all other Echo devices but at a significantly lower price. If you don't need a powerful speaker in a particular room because you don't listen to music in that room, then the Echo Dot is perfect. We added Echo dots in a couple of rooms to control home automation: lights, thermostats, and switches. Installation. Once unpacked and plugged in, the Echo Dot is immediately ready for connection. You can set it up through the Alexa app from any smart phone or tablet. Just follow the instructions to connect it to wifi and then it will just work. Sound. Despite its size, the Echo Dot sounds pretty good! If you use the "Alexa, play music everywhere" command, then all your Echo devices will play the same music in every room that has an Echo device. So these Echo Dots act like ambiance or surround speakers throughout the house. Functionality. I really have no complaints about the actually device. It works well, the physical buttons are practical, and the sound is good. The ring light provides useful feedback about the device listening to you or working on a request. The amplitude of light also indicates the volume level. Overall, it is a fantastic device at an incredible price. I highly recommend it, as long as you are comfortable with potential privacy implications.
CLEARWATER, FL
Amazon Echo Dot (2nd Generation) uploaded by Sabrina S.
Purchased at: Amazon
If you're not familiar with the Echo dot, it is a voice controlled smart speaker with Alexa. You can research Alexa and her capabilities on Amazon. The Echo Dot is essentially a speaker with smart functions and can serve as your hub for all your smart home devices. You can ask for music, the news, information.. ask Alexa to tell you a joke or an answer to a math question. You can also call just about anyone and control compatible smart home devices with the Echo Dot and your voice. We have a few of them in different and use them daily for things like alarms, music, lights, so on. Setting everything up can seem daunting at first but it's fairly easy once you get the hang of it. You can also have the Echo Dot for just simple things like alarms and music without any other devices, if a smart home isn't your thing but you would like accessibility to a voice enabled speaker. It works well on it's own doing remote things and you do do not have to be an Amazon Prime member to have access to those things. The speaker itself is pretty decent, whether being used for music or in general. Amazon has a few different types of the Echo Dots and the later the generation, the better the speaker. I've never had any issues with my Dot but if you need help or have questions, Amazon has great customer service.
Huntingtn Bch, CA
The Amazon Echo Dot (2nd generation) has been fun to have in our home.  We like to play artists and it's really easy to ask Alexa to play a certain person, group, and/or genre and she plays them, mixing up the songs. We've played Jeopardy with Alexa, but it's sometimes difficult to hear her questions accurately, even when asking her to repeat them.  We've asked many other statistical questions or questions about the earth, etc., and most times she doesn't know the answer, which is quite frustrating.  Sometimes she'll start talking about something that is irrelevant to what my husband and I are talking about together!  I also ask her what the temperature is for the day where we live and she gives an accurate forecast.  The sound quality is ok.  I've since bought my kids the larger Echo and the sound quality is better.  For the price we bought it, I would say it's fine, but if you are a techy person, this product isn't for you as I think it would be disappointing.  I don't use this product to order anything on Amazon.
Clanton, AL
Started out good then got very buggy. Not in a good way. Thankfully I had only bought one of these. Bad news was finding out the alarm was not going off due to whatever reason and I woke up late, missing several appointments. I thought I had just overslept, no it didn't correspond right apparently and never alerted me. I ended up placing the unit in the kitchen. It's still used but not in the way of any alarm. Sound quality is much lesser than the newer version. It's an Alexa but has its issues. Another issue is it's not very responsive at all to commands, sometimes you have to ask it over and over. Too cheap in the market to even sell, so I keep it around. I would not recommend this one over the newer versions and I would not purchase this for anything over $5. Yes, it's good for anything you need when you ask "Alexa" for something to include lights, music, sleep music, etc but I cannot say you can trust this one in any alarm.😕😔
New Prt Rchy, FL
I love love love my amazon Alexa. I literally have used this device every single day since the day I received it as a gift. I personally use it for a variety of things like waking me up everyday for work and it really does the job well considering I'm one of those people who can sleep through 5 alarm clocks and never hear a peep. I also use it for daily or weekly reminders of things I need to do like giving me pets there flea meds monthly to reminding myself to take the antibiotics I was prescribed,etc. I always use the timer option when baking or cooking something for a set amount of time and have also got alot of use out of the music options as well as the various games you can play interactively with Alexa and your guest. Great product and I am planning on buying a few more devices for various locations in my home.
Chester, VA
I have pretty much all smart devices and I love my Alexa. I mainly use it for the smart bulb I have and it can turn off/on the light when you ask or you can set it through the app to cut it on/off or a certain color at a specific time of day. I use it for the alarm as well and let me tell you: it is the most ANNOYING thing. But it works! When it first goes off, you tell it to stop. It hears you but it purposely goes off again even louder basically forcing you up lol. We have two in our household in two rooms next to each other so sometime it will pick up on my roommates alexa when we talk to it, the only downside. I wish they could let us custom name them so they don’t get confused lol.
This spurred the age of the smart home devices for families. It's affordability and availability really allowed Amazon to showcase the best of smart home possibilities. It's compact size meant it could be easily placed without overtly influencing decor or feng shui of the room. Set up consists of downloading the Alexa App and can add additional "talents" such as jokes, news, or trivia. Voice recognition and commands follow thru clearly with no trouble. This device performs great as a starter. Multiple devices can be installed in the home, in different rooms. The backlash of this device came from concerns about constant listening when not commanded that spurred privacy concerns.
Amenia, NY
Purchased at: Amazon
My kids love their echo dot! There are some frustrations I have with it, however. You can’t sign in with a teen account. It was hard to set this account up for my daughter and it’s only to find out she can ONLY use it for submitting orders for me and my husband to approve. She couldn’t use her own gift cards to sign up for Amazon Music Unlimited through her account and cant sign into her echo dot either. Seems like a bit cumbersome with the inability to seamlessly integrate a parent control (as I feel like we should’ve been able to do using her teen login). She is happy with it and enjoys the ease of playing music, games, and setting an alarm.
I similarly reviewed the google mini. We have two houses, one equipped with each. I find them to be comparable products...both inexpensive, easy to use, simple set up and integration. As with any AI, it’s only as intelligent as your interaction with it allows it to be. We tend to use it mostly as a speaker and general information source. We play music (Pandora), have it read books (audible), track deliveries (Amazon) and fill us in on daily commute times, traffic and weather. When we have a group, we allow it to entertain us with games. There are far more other options to connect with it, we just choose to limit.
Tulsa, OK
I am one of those people that would have never ever owned an Echo.   Right?   Soooooo creepy that it listens to you all the time.   But then I bought two Ring doorbells, and the Echo Dots came packaged with them for free.   So, I set them up.   And, then I became a believer.    "Alexa, add toothpaste to my shopping list."    "Alexa,  what is the forecast tomorrow?"   "Alexa,  tell Starbucks to get my coffee ready".    Now, I am not sure what I would do without those two little free Echo Dots.
Ask a question to the Influenster community...
Seattle, WA
8 months ago
Chris C. • 25 days ago
We have both Amazon and Google mini in our home. Not sure what we like the best. However Amazon seems like you can do more with. You can listen to music free like example Pandora can be linked.
England
3 years ago
Amazon Echo Hello I was wondering if I would be able to review this please thank you
kami C. • 21 days ago