BY ALMAY

• How well does this work? Does it actually match to your skin tone? 2 Answers
  • Very good I love1 Answers
Alyssa T.
Riverton, UT
I bought this product because I thought it sounded so cool and thought it would make my life easier since I can never seem to find a foundation match that I like, however I was sadly disappointed with the Almay Smart Shade Foundation because it did not live up to its name. When I put this on I expected the shade to adjust to my skin in a few minutes, but after waiting It really just looked like I hadn't put anything on. I did not feel there was adequate coverage for areas like minor acne scarring, which was unfortunate. The texture did not feel bad, which was a plus for this product, however I would not repurchase this for myself because it did not do what I needed it to. If you have pretty flawless skin and are just looking to even it out a bit or are just getting started with makeup this may work for you, but I do think that you can find similar products that will work a bit better. Sorry Almay. :(
Snaely K.
Salisbury, MD
I have striking pale skin so finding a shade that works for me is a huge challenge. When I saw the smart-shade, I was excited because I thought it would suit me....WRONG! When I put it on at first, it didn't do anything. It say on my skin like a BB cream. After 30 seconds, I had horrid orange streaks on my face. I was so confused at why it would pick up and orange in my skin since I have a very cool skin tone. To see what was up, I spread it out on a piece of paper. It was white at first and after 30 seconds, it turned orange just like it did on me. This product isn't "smart" at all, just time activated
laura j.
I am a big fan of BB/CC creams and this Almay Smart Shade is now a new favorite! It comes out of the tube an off white slight beige and as it is rubbed in it transforms into your skin's color for a perfect shade match. I don't know how they do it, but it is amazing!

I like the design of the packaging, it is in a small squeeze bottle that makes it perfect for throwing into my makeup bag for travel. We recently went away for July 4th and this is what I brought along with me.

Samni W.
Double Spgs, AL
This foundation really doesn't work. It doesn't match your skin unless you are that specific skin tone. It doesn't really have a range and it feels cakey because it never dries.
Giselle N.
Bronx, NY
I think the product is good for the price. If your skin tends to be more on the dry side you should definitely moisturize before using this product since it tends to look cakey if you don't. If you have a lot of blemishes you may have to use a decent amount of the product; however, the more you apply the darker it becomes, and could probably make your face look darker than your neck in which case you may have to apply it on the neck which can get on your clothes, and it will get on your clothes. The foundation covers well and compared to other foundations that you find at your local pharmacy I feel it works better than most and is easier to blend properly to your skin.
member-c00771b14
Grand Bay, AL
I am in love with this product! Perfect for summer! I haven't found a con yet! It's super lightweight and easy to apply! It lasted me from about 8 in the morning until I took it off around 6! I bought two of them just in case I run out!
Karen V.
Almay Smart Shade Foundation is definitely light coverage and depending on what you're looking for it may not be the right one for you.

It's not great for tackling acne spots or other problem areas. However it does eliminate redness in the skin and overall evens out skin tone.

There are color beads within the foundation that blend out to find your "perfect" shade. Although this seems like a smart idea it does however leave a gray cast on my skin.

Overall this foundation leaves a matte finish, I would not recommend it to those who are looking for medium to full coverage because you will not achieve it with this foundation.

Very light, and not at all thick or heavy feeling. It does not feel like a mask on your face, the packaging is sanitary and allows easy use.
Gabriela V.
Allentown, PA
I tried this a while ago when it was still considered a "revolutionary" beauty item. Basically, what this foundation claims to do is adjust itself to your precise skin shade, to eliminate and guesswork or for girls who have a hard time finding their shade. It does not work! Not only did this foundation give me a face about 3 shades too dark, it provided no coverage whatsoever. I had to add my own foundation on top because it actually did nothing for my small blemishes. I don't necessarily like to have a caked on look when I used foundation, but if I'm going through the trouble buying and applying it, I'd like to at least see some of my blemishes disappear. I would only recommend this if you're a beginner to beauty or foundation, and only need light coverage.
Mackenzie D.
Long Beach, NY
To put it best, I have a love-hate relationship with this foundation/bb cream/'perfect shade picking' cream. If I am fresh out of a shower with smooth skin, and use just the right amount, it will come out fairly well and make my face look poreless and glowing. However, Sometimes it can get a bit blotchy like on the sides of my face as I try to blend it in. If your skin is not perfectly clean or smooth, it will come out horrendous- in like streaks and blotches that are uneven. Plus, with this type of cream, I feel as though you always have to use a powder on top too. I do like the powder version of the Almay Smart Shade and would recommend that to anyone, but unless you have the time and effort to make it flawless, I would not recommend this product.
Leana T.
San Francisco, CA
I bought this makeup today because I ran out of my Max Factor Colour Adapt makeup and I cannot find it anywhere in town. The Max Factor "adapts to your own skin tone" so this Almay makeup caught my eye as it promised the same thing. I bought the lightest shade and put it on after my moisturizer. It is white in the tube and basically changes color when you put it on your face. Goes on very easy and blends well. It just looks like I have a more even skin tone and that is really all I was looking for. I'll update this review after I have it for a few days. My skin is really dry and occasionally gets irritated with new makeup, so those will be the deciding factors as to whether or not this will work in the long run for me. But so far, it is pretty amazing.
Katie O.
New Canaan, CT
Does this actually work? like does the color match to your skin?
Dani R.
Lomita, CA
Whats your shade?
Ariel G.
Sharon, MA
Is this any good? I am pale.
Ta'Kira L.
Do they have darker colors?
Kacee H.