BY ALMAY

Available In 6 Skintone-adjusting Shades

• How well does this work? Does it actually match to your skin tone? 2 Answers
  • Very good I love1 Answers
Victoria r.
So this foundation is life guys. i use it before applying my favorite foundation "born this way" and the 2 products togather for me give me a flawless look. over all this product alone goes on smooth and you get a great full on coverage
Jennifer B.
Auburn, NY
I tried this makeup with high hopes. You see, I'm a redhead with a very fair complexion, so finding a makeup that matches my skin tone is a real pain. I saw the commercial for Almay's Smart Shade Foundation and got excited- does it really adjust?! Perfect!

However...it doesn't. They sell it multiple different shades for fair complexions, medium, and dark. I bought the fair one.

My first thoughts were that it smelled pleasant and that it seemed very fluid. Not thick at all, which I'm fine with, but if you're searching for a heavier option, this is not it. It's thin, even thinner than more tinted moisturizers.

It comes out of the tube white then changes to a tinted color. You'll notice it feels a bit gritty at first- those are little balls filled with the color. When you rub it on, they break and the colors are released, so it appears to magically adjust to your skin tone.

It doesn't. It was too orange for me. I get I'm fair skinned, but don't advertise that it adjusts to match every tone if it doesn't.

For most women though, I assume it's a great product.
Samii K.
Judah
Review for: Light/Medium more...
I love this. It blends to the perfect shade. All you have to do is choose light, medium, or dark skin tone and it does the rest! It has a matte finish and doesn't shine in the light or get greasy. I buy this every time.
Lauren C.
Pittsfield, MA
My skin tone is porcelain, and I bought the lightest shade of this. It was to cover dark spots from acne past, and one or two small pimples.

Well, first of all the white to color is not as magical as you think. As soon as it comes out of the tube it oxidizes with the air, causing it to turn into whatever shade it has hidden in there.

Imagine mixing foundation and moisturizer together, you put the foundation down first in your hand, and then put the moisturizer over it. Now imagine instead of swirling it together to mix the two, you just put it onto your face. When buffing it into your skin lo and behold the white changes colors! That is what this does.

I would call this a tinted moisturizer over a foundation. At this point my rating would have been perhaps a B, but then onto the other parts.

No coverage, and my face turned pink! The light shade of this actually made my face turn pinkish instead of a normal shade. There was no blending into my skin tone, no adjusting to fit me, just a weird color that stood out on my already pinkish cheeks. What I had intended to use the coverage for was just the light spots, but even the lightest of spots were not hidden with this stuff.

Would not buy again.
Kitty V.
This was just an okay foundation for me. As an oily-skinned lady, the feel of the foundation on my face is wonderful. It's not sticky, not shiny, and doesn't budge. HOWEVER, if you have ANY flaws on your face, this foundation will do an absolute crap job of covering it. If you are just looking to even out your skintone a tiny bit, this foundation will be great. But if you have redness, acne, hyperpigmentation, freckles, etc, this foundation by itself will make you wonder if it dissolved into thin air. Yes, you can layer on some concealer and powder, but this foundation didn't layer well for me at all and loses it's super-matte quality. The foundation feels like nothing- like skin- but it's too bad that it doesn't make me feel more beautiful.
Michelle P.
Derry, NH
I picked this up because I am on the constant hunt for the right liquid foundation from me. I am very fair skinned and have a lot of pink undertones. The result most liquid foundations turn out to be orange on me. Also I have my sensitive skin against me. So I decided to give Almay a shot since my half sister uses it and its one thing that works well with her sensitive skin. I was skeptical to try a brand I have never tried before but I did. While it came out of the bottle looking very light and giving me hope. I applied it and I saw immediately that it changed tone. It started to darken and it matches your skin tone to a certain point it doesn't match exactly. You need use very little and use very sparingly and attack each portion of your face since using too much causes it to go nuts and not blend well at all. You REALLY need to you either a foundation brush or make up sponges to make sure you blend very very very well or it will end up looking like a mask on your face. You can very vividly see the make up line. Even blending meticulously make up lines could still be seen.
Kelly O.
S Abingtn Twp, PA
The Almay Smart Shade Foundation is okay, if you have normal skin - not dry, not oily - and if you need a medium, sheer kind of coverage. It's not really too buildable without looking fake and cakey, so if you need a full coverage foundation, this isn't it. And obviously, the "smart shade" thing is just a gimmick. It's not "smart" it any way. Each bottle matches a given range of shades, just like any other kind of foundation. Going from white to colored is just a gimmick to try to hook the customer. I've had my bottle for a while and it's not even coming out white anymore, it's all one color. Luckily for me, that color matches my skin tone pretty well, but anyone thinking that they'll get a magic match is out of luck.

It's an okay light to medium coverage foundation if you've already got decent skin and you don't need much from a foundation. Add in the cheesey gimmick promising a miracle to women who probably have a tough time finding a color match and are hoping for a lot from this product, and I'm not super impressed.
Caitlyn S.
Bolton, MA
I am very fair, VERY. It's really hard to find foundation that isn't too dark or orangey. When I had heard about this one I figured it would be great because it says it "takes the guesswork out of finding the perfect shade". The only shades it comes in are light, light medium, and medium. I am looking online right now and apparently there's nothing darker than medium!
It says it instantly transforms into your ideal shade. It definitely doesn't do that. It comes out one color and goes on the same. Not only did it not transform to my shade but the light color that I bought made me orangey.
It also doesn't cover very well. It's a very thin liquid which barely will cover dark spots or blemishes.
Ashley A.
Deerfield, WI
I have combination skin. I get oily in my T-Zone and this foundation works very well for me.
I like to use this foundation in the winter months because it's light and doesn't dry out my skin. I don't tan in the winter so my skin is very fair. What I really like about this foundation is the fact that it adjusts to your skin tone. It takes some of the guesswork regarding what shade you should use. It blends very smooth and doesn't cake up during the day.
It allows my skin to breathe and blends well around my jawline and neck areas.
If you want a heavier coverage you can always combine this foundation with another shade to layer. If you have oily skin and are using this foundation, it will still work just fine because it doesn't have a high shine. It's not quite the perfect matte finish but it gives you a nice natural look. If you do have oily skin I would recommend setting it with a powder to prolong the natural look.
Kelsey J.
Las Vegas, NV
I heard about this product on YouTube and decided to give it a try. I am a novice when it comes to every day makeup application, but pretty experienced with cosplay and sfx makeup. At a recent convention I decided to try this out. It was a very long and warm day and this makeup held up very well! I applied it with my hands and buffed it out with a brush. It matched my skin perfectly! And it took way less time than other products. I am starting to include it in my daily wear. I have dry skin and this didn't create any dry patches throughout the day.
Katie O.
New Canaan, CT
Does this actually work? like does the color match to your skin?
Dani R.
Lomita, CA
Whats your shade?
Ariel G.
Sharon, MA
Is this any good? I am pale.
Ta'Kira L.
Do they have darker colors?
Kacee H.