BY ALMAY

• How well does this work? Does it actually match to your skin tone? 2 Answers
  • Very good I love1 Answers
RealLifeWen L.
Santa Barbara, CA
THIS PRODUCT IS SUCH A TRIP! I apply with my hands, then go in with a damp beauty sponge to smooth out the edges around my hairline and chin/neck. the cover is medium. More than I expected for what I thought was a tinted moisturizer. It does have a weird chemical scent that dissapates in a few moments time. I'm Light/Medium and could probably do a combo of Light and Light/Medium. Easy to lightly powder over, throw on some blush and get out the door. ALSO - It doesn't make me greasy oily by end of day (but I'm using a matte primer.) For the cost and especially if you have drugstore discounts, its worth the purchase!
Halley L.
I was really excited to try this after reading good reviews online and seeing it on YouTube, where it was mentioned that this is good for oily skin. I was not disappointed with the staying power-- I have oily skin and it stays put with no shine the whole day. That being said, this is a very light coverage product, more of a tinted moisturizer/BB cream type product. For me, I enjoy the naturalness of it for everyday use, and I love that it has SPF in it too. It truly feels moisturizing going on, which usually doesn't work for me because of my skin type. However, it soaks into your skin beautifully and just enhances your skin.
Brittany G.
First off.. Shade sensing technology.. are you kidding me? I hate it when companies make absurd claims like this. I for one would never pick up something like this but my Mom found it on clearence,and since she knows how much I love makeup and I am always on the hunt for the perfect foundation she picked it up for me. This product however, is FAR from perfect. At first it comes out white and there are little pigment beads in it.. of course as you work the product into the skin the little beads will burst. But this foundation is not adjusting to my skin.. It is going to be the same color no matter what. I also found this foundation hard to blend so that the color is dispersed even all over. This foundation felt more like a moisturizer and provided minimal coverage. So over all I would personally save your money!
Alyssa T.
Riverton, UT
I bought this product because I thought it sounded so cool and thought it would make my life easier since I can never seem to find a foundation match that I like, however I was sadly disappointed with the Almay Smart Shade Foundation because it did not live up to its name. When I put this on I expected the shade to adjust to my skin in a few minutes, but after waiting It really just looked like I hadn't put anything on. I did not feel there was adequate coverage for areas like minor acne scarring, which was unfortunate. The texture did not feel bad, which was a plus for this product, however I would not repurchase this for myself because it did not do what I needed it to. If you have pretty flawless skin and are just looking to even it out a bit or are just getting started with makeup this may work for you, but I do think that you can find similar products that will work a bit better. Sorry Almay. :(
Snaely K.
Salisbury, MD
I have striking pale skin so finding a shade that works for me is a huge challenge. When I saw the smart-shade, I was excited because I thought it would suit me....WRONG! When I put it on at first, it didn't do anything. It say on my skin like a BB cream. After 30 seconds, I had horrid orange streaks on my face. I was so confused at why it would pick up and orange in my skin since I have a very cool skin tone. To see what was up, I spread it out on a piece of paper. It was white at first and after 30 seconds, it turned orange just like it did on me. This product isn't "smart" at all, just time activated
Samni W.
Double Spgs, AL
This foundation really doesn't work. It doesn't match your skin unless you are that specific skin tone. It doesn't really have a range and it feels cakey because it never dries.
laura j.
I am a big fan of BB/CC creams and this Almay Smart Shade is now a new favorite! It comes out of the tube an off white slight beige and as it is rubbed in it transforms into your skin's color for a perfect shade match. I don't know how they do it, but it is amazing!

I like the design of the packaging, it is in a small squeeze bottle that makes it perfect for throwing into my makeup bag for travel. We recently went away for July 4th and this is what I brought along with me.

member-c00771b14
Grand Bay, AL
I am in love with this product! Perfect for summer! I haven't found a con yet! It's super lightweight and easy to apply! It lasted me from about 8 in the morning until I took it off around 6! I bought two of them just in case I run out!
Giselle N.
Bronx, NY
I think the product is good for the price. If your skin tends to be more on the dry side you should definitely moisturize before using this product since it tends to look cakey if you don't. If you have a lot of blemishes you may have to use a decent amount of the product; however, the more you apply the darker it becomes, and could probably make your face look darker than your neck in which case you may have to apply it on the neck which can get on your clothes, and it will get on your clothes. The foundation covers well and compared to other foundations that you find at your local pharmacy I feel it works better than most and is easier to blend properly to your skin.
Karen V.
Almay Smart Shade Foundation is definitely light coverage and depending on what you're looking for it may not be the right one for you.

It's not great for tackling acne spots or other problem areas. However it does eliminate redness in the skin and overall evens out skin tone.

There are color beads within the foundation that blend out to find your "perfect" shade. Although this seems like a smart idea it does however leave a gray cast on my skin.

Overall this foundation leaves a matte finish, I would not recommend it to those who are looking for medium to full coverage because you will not achieve it with this foundation.

Very light, and not at all thick or heavy feeling. It does not feel like a mask on your face, the packaging is sanitary and allows easy use.
Katie O.
New Canaan, CT
Does this actually work? like does the color match to your skin?
Dani R.
Lomita, CA
Whats your shade?
Ariel G.
Sharon, MA
Is this any good? I am pale.
Ta'Kira L.
Do they have darker colors?
Kacee H.