BY ALMAY

• How well does this work? Does it actually match to your skin tone? 2 Answers
  • Very good I love1 Answers
Caitlyn S.
Bolton, MA
I am very fair, VERY. It's really hard to find foundation that isn't too dark or orangey. When I had heard about this one I figured it would be great because it says it "takes the guesswork out of finding the perfect shade". The only shades it comes in are light, light medium, and medium. I am looking online right now and apparently there's nothing darker than medium!
It says it instantly transforms into your ideal shade. It definitely doesn't do that. It comes out one color and goes on the same. Not only did it not transform to my shade but the light color that I bought made me orangey.
It also doesn't cover very well. It's a very thin liquid which barely will cover dark spots or blemishes.
Denisse B.
Doral, FL
I love this base
because it is super light, its formula is very special because despite
having a white tone to blur it takes the color of my skin, leaves a
natural and beautiful finish on the face.
Ashley A.
Deerfield, WI
I have combination skin. I get oily in my T-Zone and this foundation works very well for me.
I like to use this foundation in the winter months because it's light and doesn't dry out my skin. I don't tan in the winter so my skin is very fair. What I really like about this foundation is the fact that it adjusts to your skin tone. It takes some of the guesswork regarding what shade you should use. It blends very smooth and doesn't cake up during the day.
It allows my skin to breathe and blends well around my jawline and neck areas.
If you want a heavier coverage you can always combine this foundation with another shade to layer. If you have oily skin and are using this foundation, it will still work just fine because it doesn't have a high shine. It's not quite the perfect matte finish but it gives you a nice natural look. If you do have oily skin I would recommend setting it with a powder to prolong the natural look.
Kelsey J.
Las Vegas, NV
I heard about this product on YouTube and decided to give it a try. I am a novice when it comes to every day makeup application, but pretty experienced with cosplay and sfx makeup. At a recent convention I decided to try this out. It was a very long and warm day and this makeup held up very well! I applied it with my hands and buffed it out with a brush. It matched my skin perfectly! And it took way less time than other products. I am starting to include it in my daily wear. I have dry skin and this didn't create any dry patches throughout the day.
Sarah W.
You cannot expect this to be a full coverage foundation, or even a foundation in the traditional sense. For me, at least, it is more of a skin smoothing cream that evens out the skin tones. I will say, every time I use this I always think about getting rid of it, but then I set it with a powder and I like it a lot better then. Also, because it is shade adjusting and the skin my face is darker than my neck, I am not able to match my foundation with my neck. I also feel like I end up using a lot of the foundation. I wish I could give it 3.5 stars because that's really where I am at with it. I will probably keep it, but probably won't repurchase it when I run out.
Lauren T.
I have been using Almay SmartShade for years. This is my go to for drug store foundations. It's so lightweight and breathable. It matches perfectly to my skin and never feels caked on or thick.
Kaitlyn O.
I was pretty disappointed with this smart shade makeup. I would put it on the back of my hand first and then it would turn a really dark shade of brown from what if was originally: Light-pale
Sabella M.
I haven't been wanting to use a full coverage foundation so I bought this on a recommendation from Tati. I enjoy it because it's easy to put on my face when I don't want anything heavy. It's a little too red for my skin tone but when I blend a powder in my shade over it, I look fine. I do like the light coverage and how it is buildable over my problem areas. I wish they had a larger variety of shades and were more of a yellow undertone. When it gets too hot, it does get a bit patchy, especially when I don't use a primer. Putting a primer underneath this is important for it to last and not separate. I do like this product though, it's good for on the go.
Sunny M.
Wichita, KS
I use this every day, over my moisturizer. It smooths out your complexion but will not clog pores and make you break out. It has SPF to help protect your skin, and is super affordable. When I buy at target usually I get a coupon for more. I just buy three at a time so I never run out. I wear it everyday, and people compliment me all the time on my "perfect skin". Small package, a little goes a long way, easy to throw in gym bag or purse. I usually apply with my hands or use a foundation brush. I received a complimentary sample of this product to use and review.
Leslyn H.
Columbus, OH
I really didn't like this product! The only reason I'm not giving it a F is because it is a good concept.

I tried this product a few years ago and hated it! I so badly wanted it to work, but it just didn't. Fist to start, this product does not change to match your skin tone at all... it's the same color for everyone after its blended. But because I was determined, I tried all the shades (except dark), and NONE of them matched my skin tone. Not just would it not match my coloring, but there really was no coverage AT ALL! You could see a color to my skin, but it didn't give ANY coverage whatsoever...

It also was really oily from what I remember. I remember a few times after applying it, having to pat my face with a tissue because I looked like I had just rubbed olive oil all over my face!

Just not a good experience with this product AT ALL!
Katie O.
New Canaan, CT
Does this actually work? like does the color match to your skin?
Dani R.
Lomita, CA
Whats your shade?
Ariel G.
Sharon, MA
Is this any good? I am pale.
Ta'Kira L.
Do they have darker colors?
Kacee H.