BY ALMAY

• How well does this work? Does it actually match to your skin tone? 2 Answers
  • Very good I love1 Answers
Nicole V.
I always keep a tube of this as my "backup" foundation. While it's not something I would use for everyday or going out at night, it's great to have for days when I'm running errands or want a little less coverage. I also had no problem with it matching my skin. One strange thing I did notice, though, is that as I got closer to the end of the bottle the pigments came out darker and sometimes would be too dark for my skin. Still would recommend as it's great for a quick drug store fix.
Sierra R.
Escondido, CA
So, when I saw this product, I thought "omg, FINALLY something i don't have to try to match to my skin!", and it works....sometimes. Maybe about 50% of the time it sort of matches my skin tone, the other 50% of the time, it comes out to this completely ridiculous shade of brown that is no where even remotely close to my fair-freckled skin. In addition, it leaves a pretty unpleasant tacky feeling on my skin.
Katherine Y.
Los Angeles, CA
I like this product. The color matching "smart" shade claim is not scientifically correct, as you probably knew, but that's OK. Basically there are small beads/molecules in the product (that are not detectable) that add skin color to the originally white cream once you start rubbing the foundation on your face.

The coverage is medium/sheer, definitely not full. I use it just to even out my skin tone but not to cover anything and not for flawless look. It's great for everyday use!
Meredith T.
Stamford, CT
I have acne prone skin, and very light skin. This was always my go to foundation a year ago because as long as my acne isn't flaring up this works perfectly for me. The coverage is not heavy and that is great for the summer or when you're not trying to hide bumps on your face. It's almost comparable to a heavier BB cream, at least in my experience. When my skin clears up again I'm definitely going to go out and buy this again but I think my acne is a bit too far gone for it right now.
Rox C.
Lynchburg, VA
I really thought this foundation would be different considering it was supposed to be lightweight. Almost an hour after putting it on it started making me look "wrinkley" in all my laugh lines. Also, it is advertised as almost being skin technology with the smart shade adjusting to your skin tone. The shade didn't look to change or adjust at all which led me to think what it really does and where my money was going.
Christina D.
This is one of the first "foundations" I ever purchased, before ever discovering YouTube and beauty blogs. Overall, I consider this tinted moisturizer not a foundation, definitely sheer coverage. As for the "shade-sensing technology," I just don't see it. The color swatch on my face, which is a shade or two lighter then my hands, are exactly the same. Overall, I like the feel of this product on my dry skin and this is something I reach for the days I just don't need to much coverage.
Jenn T.
Nashville, TN
I have used Almay Smart Shade foundation in the past and have really enjoyed it! The color blends perfectly with my skin, provides a layer of moisturizer and looks blended. My only dislikes were that it was heavy and I was prone to breakouts when I did not wash it off before bed. As a lazy face washer, I really did not like that aspect of it. I would still highly recommend it, but, make sure to remove every night!
Nori T.
Silver Spring, MD
I've been using this foundation as my go-to foundation since my last container of "good" foundation was stolen, and I have to say that I like it. I'll disclaim that I'm not a regular makeup user, but when I do use it this does the trick. I will say that it is lightweight and sets well with powder, but I think if I wanted more coverage than I currently need that I might not find this foundation as satisfactory.
Jennifer F.
Royse City, TX
Almay portrays a product that claims it can find and turn into your perfect shade of makeup by starting out white and "instantly adjusting to the color of your skin". This is not true! The product starts out a rosy color, and then turns translucent white and fades into your skin. It doesn't magically discover your skin tone and become it, that's impossible. It's just too lightly colored and because of this, it blends in well enough to where you assume it morphed into your skin color.
Leticia A.
When I bought this product I remember there being nothing special about it. I think the commercials hyped it up. I had better results with other drugstore foundations. But the big con for this product was that a few months after I had bought it, it turned gray. The more I tried to blend the foundation the more it would turn dark gray. It may have been a bad batch I got, but like I said it was nothing special when it was working fine so I didn't see the need to repurchase.
Katie O.
New Canaan, CT
Does this actually work? like does the color match to your skin?
Dani R.
Lomita, CA
Whats your shade?
Ariel G.
Sharon, MA
Is this any good? I am pale.
Ta'Kira L.
Do they have darker colors?
Kacee H.