BY ALMAY

• How well does this work? Does it actually match to your skin tone? 2 Answers
  • Very good I love1 Answers
Meredith T.
Stamford, CT
I have acne prone skin, and very light skin. This was always my go to foundation a year ago because as long as my acne isn't flaring up this works perfectly for me. The coverage is not heavy and that is great for the summer or when you're not trying to hide bumps on your face. It's almost comparable to a heavier BB cream, at least in my experience. When my skin clears up again I'm definitely going to go out and buy this again but I think my acne is a bit too far gone for it right now.
Rox C.
Lynchburg, VA
I really thought this foundation would be different considering it was supposed to be lightweight. Almost an hour after putting it on it started making me look "wrinkley" in all my laugh lines. Also, it is advertised as almost being skin technology with the smart shade adjusting to your skin tone. The shade didn't look to change or adjust at all which led me to think what it really does and where my money was going.
Sierra R.
Escondido, CA
So, when I saw this product, I thought "omg, FINALLY something i don't have to try to match to my skin!", and it works....sometimes. Maybe about 50% of the time it sort of matches my skin tone, the other 50% of the time, it comes out to this completely ridiculous shade of brown that is no where even remotely close to my fair-freckled skin. In addition, it leaves a pretty unpleasant tacky feeling on my skin.
Katherine Y.
Los Angeles, CA
I like this product. The color matching "smart" shade claim is not scientifically correct, as you probably knew, but that's OK. Basically there are small beads/molecules in the product (that are not detectable) that add skin color to the originally white cream once you start rubbing the foundation on your face.

The coverage is medium/sheer, definitely not full. I use it just to even out my skin tone but not to cover anything and not for flawless look. It's great for everyday use!
Christina D.
This is one of the first "foundations" I ever purchased, before ever discovering YouTube and beauty blogs. Overall, I consider this tinted moisturizer not a foundation, definitely sheer coverage. As for the "shade-sensing technology," I just don't see it. The color swatch on my face, which is a shade or two lighter then my hands, are exactly the same. Overall, I like the feel of this product on my dry skin and this is something I reach for the days I just don't need to much coverage.
Aniston G.
The coverage is very minimal. It's easy to apply when I'm in a rush. I can use a concealer to cover up any spots. My one really big problem is that I am very pale. I have the shade 'fair' but it makes me look kind of orange, which I hate. I am warm undertoned and this foundation is neutral, which is like a pink orangey color and I don't like it.
Jenna K.
Sioux Falls, SD
I saw the commercial when this foundation came out about 8 years ago. A foundation that matches your skin tone by some cosmetic magic? I'm in. However, unfortunately, magic is for Harry Potter. The foundation is one set color, of course, and therefore looks very orange unless it is already your perfect shade. Spend a couple more minutes shade matching your foundation and avoid oompa-loompa status, ladies!
Ahileen T.
Orange, CA
When I first got this product it was when I didn't really wear a lot of makeup. So if you're the type that likes to wear something with sheer coverage then this it a product for you. It's easy to blend, easy to wear and easy to match to your skin tone. There are only a few color options, but like I said they blend really well. When I started to wear more makeup I would wear this on my casual makeup/hair days with a little mascara and some lip balm and I felt like I was pretty put together. I also took this with me on a camping trip I wore it as a moisturizer and sunscreen since it does have some SPF. I looked fresh and dewy all weekend!
Ana P.
I purchased Almay Smart Shade foundation during the summer. I had just moved and unfortunately I had just used the last of my make-up. Since my new home is nowhere near any of the stores that carry the brand of make-up that I use I decided to use a drugstore brand and I hear good things about Almay so I decided to use it. It didn't work out for me and I was very upset that I spent all that money because I bought the entire line of products. My face looked oily and dirty. The coverage was minimal and didn't last very long at all, not even half-a-day.
Leticia A.
When I bought this product I remember there being nothing special about it. I think the commercials hyped it up. I had better results with other drugstore foundations. But the big con for this product was that a few months after I had bought it, it turned gray. The more I tried to blend the foundation the more it would turn dark gray. It may have been a bad batch I got, but like I said it was nothing special when it was working fine so I didn't see the need to repurchase.
Katie O.
New Canaan, CT
Does this actually work? like does the color match to your skin?
Dani R.
Lomita, CA
Whats your shade?
Ariel G.
Sharon, MA
Is this any good? I am pale.
Ta'Kira L.
Do they have darker colors?
Kacee H.