BY ALMAY

• How well does this work? Does it actually match to your skin tone? 2 Answers
  • Very good I love1 Answers
Yolanda R.
This was a product i bought as soon as it came out on the shelves, I have always found it hard to find a shade for my makeup that looks perfect on my skin and nothing ever worked, i always either looked pink or orange... And i couldn't wait to try this! this product blended very very well and went on fresh and light, nothing too cakey. I have slight form of acne and this covered it quite well all while not clogging my pores or breaking me out. It was a good product, but didn't seem to cover too much, it was lighter coverage than i wanted, and it didn't last all day either. I would purchase this again though only because it was makeup that matched my color quite well!
Jillian C.
Las Vegas, NV
I tried this foundation out years ago, when I was just starting out with make up. Bottom line, this foundation doesn't work to "match" your skin tone...if you look closely, although it comes out white, you will see that their are little granules that I assume "pop" or active the change in color...and no matter what color your skin is, it'll turn into the color it was formulated to be. It's tough to explain, but if you're curious, you should definitely buy it just to see. But all in all, your money can be spent on better drugstore foundations such as Revlon Photo Ready or Neutrogena Healthy Skin.
Ruth H.
Cheyenne, WY
I was very excited to try this product as it's Almay and I've usually liked maky of their products. The first day I was pleasantly surprised that the shade did in fact seem to match. The foundation was very lightweight though and I had to use an additional heavier foundation under my eyes and on a few blemishes. The next day I had the same pretty decent results. By the end of the week however, my "smart shade" had taken on more of an oompa loompa orange on my face. I'm not sure if this is due to the make up sponge, or what. I'm not going to use a new sponge each day to apply foundation. Considering I had to use a second foundation in addition to this one, I wouldn't recommend it.
Brooke B.
Moneta, VA
For me, the idea of what the product is meant to do drew me in. It sounded somewhat magical when I saw it on the peg, but I did have trouble finding a matching shade for me. The first time I bought it I went a little too dark and decided to try again. This time it was just right but on my skin type (oily and acne prone) it was just not blending real easily and was ending up lookIng really splotchy and discolored. I didn't have a good experience but my mother, who has a darker skin tone and smoothr skin, was able to use it with ease. I'd say this is really a hit or miss for some people and shouldn't replace a heavier foundation if you have acne or scars you wish to conceal.
heather m.
This foundation is...odd. I expected it to come out of the bottle pigmented but it was a grey/clear color with little black dots in it. I thought there's no way this is going to turn into foundation. So I rubbed it in and it actually changed color! However, the color was a bit orange, provided no coverage really and highlighted every little bump/dry spot. I might try using this as a touch up product but I don't think I'll be using it as my go-to foundation.
Stephanie W.
blakely, pa
I tried Almay Smart Shade Foundation a few months back thinking that the idea of being able to adjust to one's own skin tone more specifically sounded great, however, I found this claim to be far from the truth. I didn't find the shade to match my own skin tone even though the bottle was right in my shade range. I also found the foundation hard to blend completely and had to work very hard to keep it from leaving visible streaking. Lastly, after a few days of use I found myself breaking out from wearing this foundation. Overall, I would never try this nor recommend this product to anyone.
Ashley H.
Mt Pleasant, MI
I thought this product was too good to be true. And guess what. It was. It leaves a chalky like layer over your skin that makes you look like you have caked makeup on, even when you've only used a small amount. It does not blend well to my skin tone, I even tried multiple different shades, to no avail. I would not recommend this product.
Savanah B.
Gardner, MA
I was very impressed when I first started using this product and then I looked in the mirror and realized it looked very noticeable.

I'm not pale by any meals but I'm not tan either. I have a hard time finding coverup that isn't too light or too dark. I had taken this product from a cousin of mine to cover up my acne and it did a great job at first but then I noticed how dark it was on me and wasn't a great look on me.

It's also kind of greasy feeling which I wasn't a fan of. It's lightweight but greasy.

I do like almay products though, so I do recommend this product if you can find the right color for you. Don't be surprised if you can't find the right one the first few times.
Elizabeth O.
Providence , RI
When I purchased this product I was really impressed that it started out as a white formula and then blended as you applied it to match your skin tone. After trying this product a few times however, I just didn't like how it looked or felt on my skin. I have oily, acne prone skin and this product felt really heavy whenever I would put it on. It would often feel greasy or tacky upon the skin. I also found that it just wouldn't blend to my correct skin color. When wearing this, it was very noticeable that I had makeup on and I don't like this. I purchased this because Almay advertised that it would give you a natural looking finish, however I found that this was not the case.
Sara B.
Salt Lake City, UT
At first use I was a fan of this foundation. Then again, I am a foundation whore. I always have at least 3 different brands because I get sick of them so fast. This foundation, however, seemed to go bad much faster than other brands which surprised me because I am usually a fan of Almay. I was also excited for this brand to last me through fall when I went from summertime glow to winter zombie skin tone - which it didn't.
All in all, if you have a relatively consistent skin tone and use foundation quickly this will work fine for you but if you have blemishes to cover, changing skin tone, or don't use foundation very often, this product is definitely not for you.
Katie O.
New Canaan, CT
Does this actually work? like does the color match to your skin?
Dani R.
Lomita, CA
Whats your shade?
Ariel G.
Sharon, MA
Is this any good? I am pale.
Ta'Kira L.
Do they have darker colors?
Kacee H.