BY ALMAY

• How well does this work? Does it actually match to your skin tone? 2 Answers
  • Very good I love1 Answers
Yvonne L.
Fort Gordon, GA
I used this awhile ago over the summer and it was terrible. It was watery and almost gritty in texture. It didn't cover very well but I didn't expect it to as I figured it'd be more like a tinted moisturizer. It didn't color match very well...unless it thinks I'm bright orange..and it made me very greasy. :(
Tess G.
Philadelphia, PA
I picked up this product after seeing commercial after commercial, and decided I needed to test it out. The product is white, with little specks in it. When you work it into your skin, the specks "color match." The product became the color of my skin, but did little to cover any pigmentation or acne. If you have perfect skin, this could be a nice product, but if you need coverage, try something else.
Erica R.
I found this on clearance at Target for 3.48$ so I picked it up, bc I am forever searching for the perfect foundation. This is definitely not it. I got the lightest shade and it was still too dark for me. I have light skin with neutral undertones and this foundation was very orange on me. Also, it provides no coverage at all. I tried to build up some sort of coverage and it just didn't work. I have used two other Almay foundations (Truly Lasting Color and Clear Complexion Makeup) and they were wonderful - a tad on the orange side but mixed with a white primer they end up looking great and covering well. But as for the Smart Shade foundation, I did not like it and would not use or purchase again.
Madison B.
It is not a smart shade makeup whatsoever. It develops a small amount of unmatched color and leaves you looking worse than before you applied it.
Ashley T.
Sewell, NJ
This makeup is definitely not for someone who needs full converge foundation. This works more like a tinted moisturizer. It doesn't work as well as the commercials make it seem but if you powder on top of this makeup it will match your skin. It comes out whitish/gray so don't be afraid when you first put it on to your hand. I also find that it works best if you apply it with your hands not a brush. The pressure from your hands helps the color beads to burst better.
Kelly O.
S Abingtn Twp, PA
Beauty Junkie Expert
The Almay Smart Shade Foundation is okay, if you have normal skin - not dry, not oily - and if you need a medium, sheer kind of coverage. It's not really too buildable without looking fake and cakey, so if you need a full coverage foundation, this isn't it. And obviously, the "smart shade" thing is just a gimmick. It's not "smart" it any way. Each bottle matches a given range of shades, just like any other kind of foundation. Going from white to colored is just a gimmick to try to hook the customer. I've had my bottle for a while and it's not even coming out white anymore, it's all one color. Luckily for me, that color matches my skin tone pretty well, but anyone thinking that they'll get a magic match is out of luck.

It's an okay light to medium coverage foundation if you've already got decent skin and you don't need much from a foundation. Add in the cheesey gimmick promising a miracle to women who probably have a tough time finding a color match and are hoping for a lot from this product, and I'm not super impressed.
Amanda M.
Union, OH
If you are looking for a light coverage and a perfect match this product is great. It comes out white but immediately after touching skin, it changes to your skin tone.
Brittney A.
Hampton, VA
My dermatologist recommended this "foundation" to me, knowing damn well i have a bunch of acne scaring/hyper-pigmintatiom to cover. It doe feel nice and light but it isn't the sort of coverage i need. Also i an very pale and this didn't seem to match me properly.
Kate W.
Cooperstown, NY
I tried this product because I have a hard time matching foundation to my skin color. It blended well to my skin but my skin felt extra dry.
Katy S.
Brighton, MA
Personally, this was not my favorite. usually i like almay products, but this let me down. it's VERY VERY light coverage. i couldn't see that much of a difference. it looks more like a bb cream would, more than an actual foundation.
Katie O.
New Canaan, CT
Does this actually work? like does the color match to your skin?
Dani R.
Lomita, CA
Whats your shade?
Ariel G.
Sharon, MA
Is this any good? I am pale.
Ta'Kira L.
Do they have darker colors?
Kacee H.