BY ALMAY

• How well does this work? Does it actually match to your skin tone? 2 Answers
  • Very good I love1 Answers
Michelle W.
Grand Rapids, MI
I wanted to try a new foundation. I saw that Almay Smart Shade in light/medium 1 Fl. oz was on sale at Meijer, so I purchased it and was pleasantly surprised at how well it matched my skin color. It stays on all day. Doesn't make my face shiny. It was a great purchase. I will be buying again.
Mackenzie D.
Long Beach, NY
To put it best, I have a love-hate relationship with this foundation/bb cream/'perfect shade picking' cream. If I am fresh out of a shower with smooth skin, and use just the right amount, it will come out fairly well and make my face look poreless and glowing. However, Sometimes it can get a bit blotchy like on the sides of my face as I try to blend it in. If your skin is not perfectly clean or smooth, it will come out horrendous- in like streaks and blotches that are uneven. Plus, with this type of cream, I feel as though you always have to use a powder on top too. I do like the powder version of the Almay Smart Shade and would recommend that to anyone, but unless you have the time and effort to make it flawless, I would not recommend this product.
Leana T.
San Francisco, CA
I bought this makeup today because I ran out of my Max Factor Colour Adapt makeup and I cannot find it anywhere in town. The Max Factor "adapts to your own skin tone" so this Almay makeup caught my eye as it promised the same thing. I bought the lightest shade and put it on after my moisturizer. It is white in the tube and basically changes color when you put it on your face. Goes on very easy and blends well. It just looks like I have a more even skin tone and that is really all I was looking for. I'll update this review after I have it for a few days. My skin is really dry and occasionally gets irritated with new makeup, so those will be the deciding factors as to whether or not this will work in the long run for me. But so far, it is pretty amazing.
Stephanie S.
Pensacola, FL
I got this foundation at target with the concealer and have saw commercials about how it is supposed to blend into the perfect color of your skin. Heck, I will even quote the site, "breakthrough shade-sensing technology instantly adjusts to the color of your skin. the lightweight formula starts out white and adjusts to right." My skin type is oily/combination. I use this on top of my Tooface primer with my foundation brush and finishing with my Lo'real pressed powder. I really do like the natural finish it gives me, but I have noticed after an hour my skin starts to look greasy. I have also noticed a couple of whiteheads after a week of using this product. I like the idea of the product but it really doesn't work for my skin type.
Laura M.
Plano, IL
I was recently diagnosed with Rosacea and have been on the hunt for a foundation that doesn't irritate my skin anymore that it already is. I did some research and found that the Almay brand has hypoallergenic products so I decided to try this foundation. It doesn't have any perfumes or alcohol so my face doesn't burn or feel irritated. This foundation glides on smoothly and doesn't feel cakey, even throughout the day. My only issue is the coverage. Don't get me wrong this foundation does cover the majority of my redness, but acne scarring isn't100% covered. I also like the fact that the foundation gives my skin a luminous look to it. I would totally recommend this foundation, especially to individuals with sensitive skin.
Vallyn W.
I am a fair/light skin toned girl. I loved the idea of this shadow but was a bit weary about how it would work for those of us with super light skin or super dark skin seeing as there is only 3 shades. Lets just say I wasn't in anyway impressed with the color. It was way to dark for me. We are talking visible makeup line and I just looked like I didn't know how to pick foundation shades. Thank goodness I wasn't in a hurry and could apply a foundation in the right shade. The coverage was really good I have very pink cheeks and it hid that completely (though that might have been just because it was so much darker than my skin) and it felt light on my skin. If they made this in a few more shades it probably would be much better.
Julie D.
Manistee, MI
I have used powdered mineral foundation for years but as I get older I found that it was settling into my fine lines around my eyes. I thought I would try this as it was on sale and I had a coupon. I always try new stuff that way. Well, I like the color matching. I don't have to worry about a line on my chin. That's why I originally switched to mineral makeup. I couldn't seem to find a good color match and had a line. But I don't really like how dry it is. By dry I mean that when I used to use wet foundation I remember it being smoothr and easier to put on. This product is a bit dry in that it doesn't spread easily. I use my fingers to put it on, not a sponge, maybe that's my problem. But I have tried that method in the past without luck. Anyway, I think it's an ok product but I wouldn't search it out to purchase again.
Alexandra O.
Ignacio, CO
I am a bit surprised by the reviews posted here. I adore this foundation. I am very fair and finding the right match is difficult. I use the light variety and I use it on my forehead, cheeks and nose, along with the tip of my chin.

This product covers well and it a great foundation for my powder and blush. I do not know how it works for others but since I do not cover my entire face I love its blending capabilities.

Having dry skin and living in CO I find that it is perfectly balanced and gives me a matte finish which is what I'm looking for.

I do not like the packaging as you reach the end of your tube it is easier to get the rest out but cutting the tube and squeezing. I wish it was in a glass bottle.
Ashley S.
Lafayette, LA
I am really in the middle with this product. It makes an excellent match to my skin tone which typically I am roughly a creamy natural type girl. I even found when I started tanning that moving up to the darker shade still managed to match my skin tone. Now the negatives it's pretty thin coverage and it has a thick feel as well as texture. If your skin is dry it highlights those areas; if your skin is broken out it highlights those areas as well. It is not a good overall coverage foundation. It also transfers does not last long and putting powder over it really doesn't set it very well. It's pretty reasonably priced as well. I feel it would be best for a teenager with normal skin no acne to wear as a light foundation.
Leah B.
Atlanta, GA
I love trying new make up & picked up this foundation on clearance at target for $2.50. I got the light medium since I am fair but it was summer and I was out in the sun often. First off it looked so dark out of the tube (as if there was no way it would match my completion)but as I applied it I had no issues with the color at all. It did "blend" to be a good fit for my skin tone and wore well with my bare minerals pressed powder on top. If you are looking for a foundation that provides a lot of cover up, I would say this is not for you. If I were on a budget or in a pinch I'd definitely buy this for lighter make up days but check out the revlon colorstay whipped foundation if you want serious coverage.
Katie O.
New Canaan, CT
Does this actually work? like does the color match to your skin?
Dani R.
Lomita, CA
Whats your shade?
Ariel G.
Sharon, MA
Is this any good? I am pale.
Ta'Kira L.
Do they have darker colors?
Kacee H.